Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Bjugstad to Wild (2m retained for conditional 7th)

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
I don't get this trade.

The Pens would have roughly 1.1 cap hit removed (league minimum 750k +350k) if Bjugstad is waived to the AHL (or some equivalent of it with Covid19). The Pens wasted a 1/3 of their salary retentions to effectively save 900k in cap hit (since they only obtain 2 mill through this trade).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I don't get this trade.

The Pens would have roughly 1.1 cap hit removed (league minimum 750k +350k) if Bjugstad is waived to the AHL (or some equivalent of it with Covid19). The Pens wasted a 1/3 of their salary retentions to effectively save 900k in cap hit (since they only obtain 2 mill through this trade).

With this trade the Pens save 2m in cap space and also dont have to pay that additional salary. Its clearly better than just stashing him in the minors. Pens also arent gonna need all 3 retention spots so that doesnt matter.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
HOW THE f*** ARE THE PENGUINS CASH STRAPPED?????

They aren't the Pirates.

If they can't absorb a couple million to have a better team, then they might as pack up for Kansas City, again
Pens are still a small market team. Playoffs account for a huge chunk of their revenue. As does attendance. They'll be hurting financially for the next few years.

And make no mistake, the second they're not longer considered a contender they will have a self imposed salary cap. This franchise is not the Rangers or Flyers with deep pockets.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pens are still a small market team. Playoffs account for a huge chunk of their revenue. As does attendance. They'll be hurting financially for the next few years.

And make no mistake, the second they're not longer considered a contender they will have a self imposed salary cap. This franchise is not the Rangers or Flyers with deep pockets.

Which will probably be a good thing because it will force them to rebuild through the draft.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
HOW THE f*** ARE THE PENGUINS CASH STRAPPED?????

They aren't the Pirates.

If they can't absorb a couple million to have a better team, then they might as pack up for Kansas City, again
COVID is a bitch in a gate driven league. Maybe "cash strapped" isn't the right term. We aren't the Arizona Coyotes. But like, I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Penguins spend much more conservatively. Which, with JR at the helm, is actually a good thing.

Actually now that I think about it, when we fire JR I wonder if he will do well on a budget team like Arizona because then he won't be able to do stupid shit like sign more Jack Johnson's

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I think they have to make the 2nd round in order to actually make a profit. Making the first round just means breaking even. Missing the playoffs probably results in a loss.
That has been the conventional wisdom for the Penguins for a number of years. Of course this year is an outlier as the Penguins get to pocket $21.66 million for their share of the Kraken's NHL franchise fee ($650 million).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
COVID is a bitch in a gate driven league. Maybe "cash strapped" isn't the right term. We aren't the Arizona Coyotes. But like, I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Penguins don't throw money around like crazy. Which, with JR at the helm, is actually a good thing.

Actually now that I think about it, when we fire JR I wonder if he will do well on a budget team like Arizona because then he won't be able to do stupid shit like sign more Jack Johnson's

I think people really really really need to switch expectations this year. You have said it that this COVID season is going to be very strange with how teams spend. Many posters have said it as well. I think this is going to be an unusual year with contracts and trying to see where the cap goes.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think people really really really need to switch expectations this year. You have said it that this COVID season is going to be very strange with how teams spend. Many posters have said it as well. I think this is going to be an unusual year with contracts and trying to see where the cap goes.
You're going to see a ton of one and two year deals.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I’d love it if the owners and players just took net revenues this upcoming season and played for that. Everyone would lose major dollars, but it would show who is playing for the love of the game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’d love it if the owners and players just took net revenues this upcoming season and played for that. Everyone would lose major dollars, but it would show who is playing for the love of the game.

Good idea in principle but man... these guys signed contracts and then have bills based on what they perceived to be their contract. Now i trust the average hockey player is much smarter with finances, but this would be vastly unfair.

I've thought about this a lot. The players association should understand they are not exempt from a possible loss in a pandemic, but the owners should shoulder most of the load.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Good idea in principle but man... these guys signed contracts and then have bills based on what they perceived to be their contract. Now i trust the average hockey player is much smarter with finances, but this would be vastly unfair.

I've thought about this a lot. The players association should understand they are not exempt from a possible loss in a pandemic, but the owners should shoulder most of the load.
I know it would never work, but I’d love to see it. Just for a single season. A throwback to before big money took over the game, and the players didn’t make much more than a white collar worker.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I know it would never work, but I’d love to see it. Just for a single season. A throwback to before big money took over the game, and the players didn’t make much more than a white collar worker.
I think it is an elegant idea. And maybe it could actually work? Except... For agents. Player reps have such narrow, self-serving drive, couched in the "doing the best for my client" rationalization.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, I don't really feel nostalgic for the time that owners were even bigger shitheads to their employees than previously.

Now, if everyone, including the owners and front office, was earning the same measly salary, I'd get on board.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know 2 million is an ugly retention, but it's nice not having to wonder where the Pens would put a guy who didn't settle in well here anywhere.

Sullivan won't be compelled to give extra rope to another expensive misfit vet hoping he'll play himself out of a funk. That job is already overfilled. Better to give an opportunity to a cheap prospect and see if they play as well or better for a fraction of the cost. Maybe this gives Poulin or Adam Johnson a longer look.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We’d have to trade Letang to both afford Pietrangelo and open a roster spot for him... which would be cool since he’s younger and has a lot less mileage but do you risk trading Letang first on the hope you can maybe land a UFA? Even if he’s somehow already agreed verbally via some intermediary in principle on a deal that’s a huge risk that some dumb GM won’t throw so much money at him he couldn’t refuse, or his family changes their mind about leaving St. Louis at the last minute.
When does that window open for teams to negotiate with UFA's prior to July 1st? If it was a normal season?

I thought teams could do that earlier after the new CBA tweaks, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->