Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Bjugstad to Wild (2m retained for conditional 7th)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought jr would have to send an asset for someone to take bjug. This is a solid compromise.

Between Schultz and Bjug leaving they cleared $7 million in cap space. If they trade MM that's an extra $4-5 million.

I think our cap situation will be fine.

It's actually closer to 8m than 7. Think about that for a second also, that was 7.6m dollars that had no impact, or a negative impact on the lineup last year. This is like cutting cancer out of the body. The 2m retained is a scar, but f***...we are a better team for it.

Reactions: ziggyjoe212

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Salary Cap

Real Money

How the hell are these related? I mean.....They literally aren't.
They are very closely related. Bjugstad was going to earn 5 million in real money and count against the cap at 4.1 million dollars. JR knew he couldn't piss away 5 million dollar on a player who won't play when the team is cash-strapped and nobody can go to games. This trade is more about the real dollars than the actual cap space, imo.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Salary Cap

Real Money

How the hell are these related? I mean.....They literally aren't.
Some here are being intellectually dishonest, as if there are only two choices. We either eat half his salary, or, we eat the entire salary. That's not reality, yet they're passing it off as an either/or situation. There are more than two potential options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
HOW THE f*** ARE THE PENGUINS CASH STRAPPED?????

They aren't the Pirates.

If they can't absorb a couple million to have a better team, then they might as pack up for Kansas City, again

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

They aren't the Pirates.

If they can't absorb a couple million to have a better team, then they might as pack up for Kansas City, again

The Pirates aren't cash strapped either. They just have a terrible owner.

I don't know the Pens situation, but I'm sure they have a big nut to crack to keep the operation running, and without revenues, that's very difficult. Also, guys like Burkle do not become as successful as they are by losing money. When everything is rolling and the revenues are coming in, he makes some sort of profit - how large, who knows? But I would imagine how things currently stand, he is paying out for the Pens. Probably not a huge deal, but I could see him trying to mitigate some of that by cutting costs where he can.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

They aren't the Pirates.

I don’t know if maybe Burkle is being hurt by the pandemic or if they’re planning for a season with no or limited attendance?

Reactions: Pens1566

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Riikola - Ruhwedel was a terrible pairing when it was employed and would be the worst third pairing in the league. 2 #7s, both undersized getting hemmed into their own zone against heavy teams.

I think we’re stuck with JJ and just need to play him to his strengths (PK) and give him a partner that masks his weaknesses.

you sound like JR...who is that magically fictitious partner?...lol, he’s been tried with everyone we have and he brings everyone down, including the forwards...his “best” pairing was with Marino and the coaches want Petts-Marino to grow as a pairing together..,

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
you sound like JR...who is that magically fictitious partner?...lol, he’s been tried with everyone we have and he brings everyone down, including the forwards...his “best” pairing was with Marino and the coaches want Petts-Marino to grow as a pairing together..,
I’m not sure. In an ideal situation we add a top 4 D that allows us to move Pettersson down to the 3rd pair. But we can’t afford a $7.25 million 3rd pair plus a 1 million dollar 7th.

Maybe if Murray goes to Edmonton for Puljujarvi, we throw in something like ZAR or Simon to get Caleb Jones.

Maybe TVR or Ceci comes cheap (and short-term) in free agency. Maybe Montour isn’t qualified.

With what we have now it’s probably Riikola. He’s good on his off side which allows Johnson to play on the left where IMO he’s a bit better, and with his mobility he can do the bulk of the rushing and retrieval.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I’m not sure. In an ideal situation we add a top 4 D that allows us to move Pettersson down to the 3rd pair. But we can’t afford a $7.25 million 3rd pair plus a 1 million dollar 7th.

Maybe if Murray goes to Edmonton for Puljujarvi, we throw in something like ZAR or Simon to get Caleb Jones.

Maybe TVR or Ceci comes cheap (and short-term) in free agency. Maybe Montour isn’t qualified.

With what we have now it’s probably Riikola. He’s good on his off side which allows Johnson to play on the left where IMO he’s a bit better, and with his mobility he can do the bulk of the rushing and retrieval.

That'd be cool if they had someone good enough to roll petts third pair

Reactions: Jacob

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Salary Cap

Real Money

How the hell are these related? I mean.....They literally aren't. Pens willingly are losing 1.5 mil Cap on this vs buyout. That's a whole bottom six player. But f*** building a team...They could save a couple million from their billionaire ownership group.

The ownership has been great. I have no problem with the strategy they are implementing now. It is easy for you to criticize ownership and say they should lose millions because they are not allowed to finish a season and the next season might also have several restrictions that hurt a small market team like the Pens that rely heavily on gate revenue. It is easy for you to say lose those millions. You are also probably the type of person that thinks it's okay to tax the rich to redistribute to the people that sit on their butt's.

Pens ownership has been great and has always spent to the cap to give this team a chance to win during the Crosby era. I am fine with them spending less now until the league is back to normal and fans are actually able to go to the games and fill the seats. Ownership also said that Rutherford can spend to the cap at the deadline if he needs to. This way we can use the cap to add as much as needed and will have plenty of space to add. Not only does this give us a ton more cap space to spend because $8 million cap space to start the season is worth close to $20 million or more by the trade deadline. Pens can add a lot while not paying the full load of those contracts.

Bottom line is Mario saved this team more than once and I am very grateful. If Pens need to cut salary during these times I am not going to be a spoiled fan and cry about it. This is not the Pirates ownership who makes tons of cash each year off the Pirates and pockets the money. Pens ownership is fine breaking even and I don't blame them for not wanting to lose $10 million this season. It is easy for you to tell other people to run a business into losing millions. That is how the Pens went bankrupt before.

This team will surprise people this year. We can still put out a very good team even with a budget in the low to mid $70 million range. Many of these cuts will be improvements with the youth taking the spots such as POJ instead of JJ, Kapanen at RW instead of Hornqvist, Poulin at LW instead of McCann, Maniscalco/some traded young defenseman to replace Schultz. Bjugstad gave us nothing last season at 3C due to injury and ineffective play so his replacement will almost definitely improve on him. So Pens could easily be better even with the cash savings. Knowing that we can spend more at the deadline also makes me comfortable. We can play the young players and bring in improvements at the deadline if some of the youth prove not ready.

Bottom line is Schultz $5.5 million, Bjugstad $4.1 million, JJ $3.25 million cap hits combine to close to $13 million cap hit last year and they provided nothing. Honestly Lafferty, POJ, and Maniscalco couldn't be any worse and would save over $7 million even with retention of $2 million for Bjugstad and $1.625 million of JJ 50% retained.

Reactions: EightyOne

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This maybe looks a little ugly/frustrating on the surface but I don't know that JR had much choice, here. Is what it is... gotta clear some space somehow. Don't at all hate it.

Still, though... yet more wreckage in this GM's wake.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This maybe looks a little ugly/frustrating on the surface but I don't know that JR had much choice, here. Is what it is... gotta clear some space somehow. Don't at all hate it.

Still, though... yet more wreckage in this GM's wake.
Eklund believes we're going after Pietrangelo so yeah, gotta clear out that cap space. This will happen!

Posted an hour ago

From your Hero:The Flames have upped their interest in Matt Murray after Edmonton talks have been put on hold. Rutherfird is playing this perfectly... and is absolutely working towards a BIG score...like Pietrangelo....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Eklund believes we're going after Pietrangelo so yeah, gotta clear out that cap space. This will happen!

Posted an hour ago

From your Hero:The Flames have upped their interest in Matt Murray after Edmonton talks have been put on hold. Rutherfird is playing this perfectly... and is absolutely working towards a BIG score...like Pietrangelo....

lol...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We’d have to trade Letang to both afford Pietrangelo and open a roster spot for him... which would be cool since he’s younger and has a lot less mileage but do you risk trading Letang first on the hope you can maybe land a UFA? Even if he’s somehow already agreed verbally via some intermediary in principle on a deal that’s a huge risk that some dumb GM won’t throw so much money at him he couldn’t refuse, or his family changes their mind about leaving St. Louis at the last minute.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We’d have to trade Letang to both afford Pietrangelo and open a roster spot for him... which would be cool since he’s younger and has a lot less mileage but do you risk trading Letang first on the hope you can maybe land a UFA? Even if he’s somehow already agreed verbally via some intermediary in principle on a deal that’s a huge risk that some dumb GM won’t throw so much money at him he couldn’t refuse, or his family changes their mind about leaving St. Louis at the last minute.

He’s also a worse defenseman who has been insulated in St Louis’ system and started looking Norris level after Parayko came in to take big minutes.

Reactions: Jacob

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not that this would happen but yeah, you'd have to have some sort of commitment to make this work. But that would definitely shake things up. And likely for the better.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does Matt Benning suck? And whether he does or not, could he not suck here? Oilers fans seem to hate him but he’s always passed my eye test. Physical, including big open ice hits you don’t see much of these days, skates and moves the puck decently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad