Confirmed with Link: PENS/STARS TRADE: Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd<--> Joe Morrow, 2013 5th + contract talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I hope he's a rejuvenated hockey player. He probably got a little too comfortable in Dallas. I think a new team, with a new role, new expectations, and just a general change of surroundings will help him greatly. It can't be easy to be sitting at home every year when the games start to matter when you're a competitor like he is.

Saison Marguerite

Dec 4, 2012
Yeah, I think you are reading WAY more into that. It will be a couple months until he is able to be with his family full time again. I really doubt he was eluding to his thoughts on where he will be playing next year.

Agreed. It's not like he can just pull his family from Dallas rn and move them to Pittsburgh (especially with little ones in school). I saw that more as a "we'll all be together again full time in the summer when we can move and be together" as opposed to the other option.

Xavier Laflamme*

Agreed. It's not like he can just pull his family from Dallas rn and move them to Pittsburgh (especially with little ones in school). I saw that more as a "we'll all be together again full time in the summer when we can move and be together" as opposed to the other option.

I think it's obvious to everyone that he won't be resigning in Dallas. His time there is over. So in that regard, his comments about being "only for a couple of months" was probably meant as when he'll be seeing them again.

His general attitude towards Pittsburgh seemed very positive in that he's both excited and wanted to be here. I'm sure if his play picks up and he finds success, you could see him on this club for a few more seasons, similar to the Billy G. situation.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I hope Kadar has his Magic Elixir of Power ready for Morrow this week. If it can help Geno win major hardware, it can help Morrow skate faster. I'm convinced. :sarcasm:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Burgundy: Didn't Gary Roberts adopt Kadar as a teenage orphan and teach him how to mold men in his image? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Burgundy: Didn't Gary Roberts adopt Kadar as a teenage orphan and teach him how to mold men in his image? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Kadar did pick up a few things from Roberts during his time with the Pens. Roberts has still forgot 100x more about this thing called "strength & conditioning* as Kadar has learned in his whole life.

As far as the adopting thing goes, Roberts doesn't adopt, he owns. As in you're his slave, from now until the ending of days.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I wouldn't be shocked if he has a hard time adjusting in Dallas...

Me either he's basically a better skating version of Niskanen

on that note, a Stars' fan's reaction to the suggestion that Zubov might be able to teach Giggledrops a thing or two:

Would be like a tenured professor of philosophy tutoring a 5th grader in existentialism.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Nothign can stop Giggledrops from being Soff like powdered sugar coated gummy bears. I would laugh my ass off if Dallas gave up a good asset for Ryan Whitney, thereby ruining an otherwise good week acquisition-wise.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
this reminds me somewhat of when the pens signed leclair.

we all had visions of prime johny leclair scoring goals with sid, lemieux, and company dancing in ours heads, despite all flyers fans saying that he was a complete shell of his former self.

and those flyers fans turned out to be exactly right--leclair was washed up and worthless.

well, whatever. hope for the best.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

we all had visions of prime johny leclair scoring goals with sid, lemieux, and company dancing in ours heads, despite all flyers fans saying that he was a complete shell of his former self.

and those flyers fans turned out to be exactly right--leclair was washed up and worthless.

I will repeat what I said in the other thread. What if Morrow was only signed to clog up the front of the net. To interfere with the goalie's vision and to pot a few garbage goals in the process. Do what Simmonds of the Flyers did all last night to us. What if Murray was only signed to do the opposite, to keep the Simmonds of the world far away from the front of Fleury. Neither has to be fast to do either of those things. Yeah a hell of a price to pay for those roles, but have not both been glaring needs for years? It is an overpay, but if they can do even only those things would they be worth it?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Hey now a 50 point season at 36 isn't bad.. but it's not like Morrow has been brought in to be "Legion of Doom Line" incarnate.. he's basically reprising Kunitz's role for Malkin-Neal and to be a net presence that Tangradi was supposed to be..

I tell ya, ya can't make peope happy, not making a move was unacceptable, and then making the best available move still wasn't enough. Yeah we all wanted Iginla but it probably won't happen, you can start writing your smug eulogy if/when the Pens don't make it to the finals.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I will repeat what I said in the other thread. What if Morrow was only signed to clog up the front of the net. To interfere with the goalie's vision and to pot a few garbage goals in the process. Do what Simmonds of the Flyers did all last night to us. What if Murray was only signed to do the opposite, to keep the Simmonds of the world far away from the front of Fleury. Neither has to be fast to do either of those things. Yeah a hell of a price to pay for those roles, but have not both been glaring needs for years? It is an overpay, but if they can do even only those things would they be worth it?

I'm with that .

We all knew even with this win streak, we could run into the same playoff problems we have in previous years. Shero did what he did to try to prevent that. Would have been nice if it wasn't a shortened season and we didn't have to overpay, but it is what it is...this is the standard for 2013.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I just can't shake the fact that morrow looked awesome with letang last year. that despres even didn't look that good in wbs this year but once he was outta there looked damn good. we don't have anyone in our defensive prospect pool that has that t booming shot that we have lacked for years. combined with great skating and just simply strong. I would far rather have traded maata. the dallas fans would have been happy with a 2nd rd draft pick.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I actually think everyone in the "Morrow Trade Thread" should read Jmelm's post before making comments. It was a very good post from both sides of the fence

Ok, so back by popular demand (thanks Hottubber ;)), here is the re-posting of my analysis of the Joe Morrow trade.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it seems that there have been some (and mostly) fan-generated expectations of Joe Morrow. The hype got built up, and certain expectations were made by fans and posters on these boards (not the Pens' scouts, but fans) about exactly what type of player Joe Morrow was. So let's take the words from the Pens own scouts & management....

At the time of the draft, they did some draft videos with Randy Sexton. Upon being interviewed, Sexton described Morrow as more of a trigger-man, and not so much of a quarter-back. Obviously, Joe still has overall skills that will help him be effective on a PP, but fans & posters on this board devised their own expectations of Joe Morrow that were not necessarily on the same page as the Pens' own views of this player. (and I like Joe Morrow, so I'm just giving the unbiased reality-check here)

I also said after the draft, when a lot of people were lamenting the selections of Pouliot at #8 and two Dmen overall in the 1st round of the draft, that: "If the Pens really felt that Joe Morrow was the next Duncan Keith, and Simon Despres was the next Brent Seabrook" (i.e. elite, all-world, first-pairing Dmen) "then the Pens would probably not have drafted 2 more Dmen in the first round". To this statement, the responses that I got were mostly of the "that's a good & vaild point" variety.

The truth is: Morrow is NOT an elite prospect (aka blue-chip, top-15/20 prospect in the league overall, etc). For example, he did not make last year's WJC Olympic team or named top 1 or 2 Dmen in the WHL last year). Now the difference is: Simon Despres has stepped in and surprised all of us with either just how good he has been this year, or how quickly & seamlessly he has transition. Harrington has continued his ascension into one of the best (and seemingly most underrated) prospects in the league, and Pouliot and Maatta have also continued to improve their stock and gain experience. We have also had a guy like Robert Bortuzzo step in and, despite not getting enough ice-time to go around, we know this guy is a legit NHL defenseman for us, and potentially for a long time; and even a surprise like Samuelsson, a great debut as a pro for Biran Dumoulin, and maybe a real decent prospect in D
Agostino. Morrow, conversely, didn't open new eyes this year as an elite prospect. And while this doesn't mean that he can't become a great player one day, his ultimate/overall upside may not be as high as some of the other guys in our system

And then, the most forgotten men in this: Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen: 1) Martin: the way he has turned his game around and contributed 5-on-5, PK, and perhaps most surprisingly the PP, suggests that this is a player who may very well not only finish out his contract here in PGH, but perhaps even be extended (Brooks and his salary will be gone by then, and hopefully the cap bounces up after next year, etc.). Martin has been a revelation, and has taken that right-side & PP spot for the next few years that some may have had Joe Morrow pencilled in for. 2) Matt Niskanen has FULLY turned around from being a reclammation project to a full-blown legit top-4 Dman who can play right or left side, and can play on the PP unit. He's also a better PK & 5-v-5 player than Morrow is now, even if he doesn't have quite the shot or quite the speed. So again, Niskanen may very well be a player that we look to extend for several more seasons. So when you factor in even one, or perhaps both, of Martin & Nisky, PLUS all the other great prospects we have on D, Morrow may not have really had a spot here. (Yes, he was one of our "top-6 prospects", but obviously wans't one of our top-6 Dmen in our organization overall when you factorin in guys who could be here medium-long term: Letang, Niskanen, Martin, Despres, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo, Maatta, Samuelsson and D'Agostino. Of that group, Morrow may well have been rated #7 or #8)

And of course: I would have rather traded Morrow for an established guy like Stewart or Iginla, or top prospect like Coyle, Niederreiter or Filip Forsberg ;), but he's not a top-tier guy like them, and obviously those guys were not available for the price Shero was willing to pay. And while Shero didn't mention the other guys they were looking at, but Brendan was the player we could get who would help our team now and wouldn't really hurt it in the long run. And let's not forget: this is a deep draft, and moving from the 5th round up to the 3rd does help. We may very well be able to find the next Morrow or GoGo to replace them with one of our 3rd round picks, or have those picks be used in a move-up scenario.

And finally, I will end my treatise here: people are forgetting the much maligned Tyler Kennedy. It's very possible that Brendan Morrow essentially bumps TK out of the 3rd line spot (Bennet would skate on RW there, his natural position), and TK could absolutely garner something like a 3rd round pick, or even a 2nd rounder, this year, because he is not a rental and is an RFA this year. So the deal *might* essentially be Brendan Morrow + 3rd rounder (plus another 2nd/3rd rounder) for Joe Morrow, because people wanted Kennedy out anyway.

And to add a point from the Murray thread that I posted: it's still very possible that we move out RFAs like Jeffrey and/or TK in the summer, or move a guy like Orpik, or less likely Niskanen, who are guys that still have term left on their deals (and this probability increases if we were to end up retaining Brendan Morrow, D. Murray, or sign another UFA like Iginla, etc). So while I'm not too happy with giving up two 2nds for Murray, we may make some other moves that very quickly make us forget about those draft picks. So we'll need to wait and see how things unfold in the larger picture (i.e. how we perform in this playoff run, and what other trades/signings we make prior to the draft or in the summertime) before we can properly assess everything that has happened this far. There are still a lot of moving parts, so we'll have to see how things go and exactly where we are in terms of asset management, draft picks & prospects, and player/personnel, when the dust settles after the summer and when next season begins.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Ok, so back by popular demand (thanks Hottubber ;)), here is the re-posting of my analysis of the Joe Morrow trade.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it seems that there have been some (and mostly) fan-generated expectations of Joe Morrow. The hype got built up, and certain expectations were made by fans and posters on these boards (not the Pens' scouts, but fans) about exactly what type of player Joe Morrow was. So let's take the words from the Pens own scouts & management....

At the time of the draft, they did some draft videos with Randy Sexton. Upon being interviewed, Sexton described Morrow as more of a trigger-man, and not so much of a quarter-back. Obviously, Joe still has overall skills that will help him be effective on a PP, but fans & posters on this board devised their own expectations of Joe Morrow that were not necessarily on the same page as the Pens' own views of this player. (and I like Joe Morrow, so I'm just giving the unbiased reality-check here)

I also said after the draft, when a lot of people were lamenting the selections of Pouliot at #8 and two Dmen overall in the 1st round of the draft, that: "If the Pens really felt that Joe Morrow was the next Duncan Keith, and Simon Despres was the next Brent Seabrook" (i.e. elite, all-world, first-pairing Dmen) "then the Pens would probably not have drafted 2 more Dmen in the first round". To this statement, the responses that I got were mostly of the "that's a good & vaild point" variety.

The truth is: Morrow is NOT an elite prospect (aka blue-chip, top-15/20 prospect in the league overall, etc). For example, he did not make last year's WJC Olympic team or named top 1 or 2 Dmen in the WHL last year). Now the difference is: Simon Despres has stepped in and surprised all of us with either just how good he has been this year, or how quickly & seamlessly he has transition. Harrington has continued his ascension into one of the best (and seemingly most underrated) prospects in the league, and Pouliot and Maatta have also continued to improve their stock and gain experience. We have also had a guy like Robert Bortuzzo step in and, despite not getting enough ice-time to go around, we know this guy is a legit NHL defenseman for us, and potentially for a long time; and even a surprise like Samuelsson, a great debut as a pro for Biran Dumoulin, and maybe a real decent prospect in D
Agostino. Morrow, conversely, didn't open new eyes this year as an elite prospect. And while this doesn't mean that he can't become a great player one day, his ultimate/overall upside may not be as high as some of the other guys in our system

And then, the most forgotten men in this: Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen: 1) Martin: the way he has turned his game around and contributed 5-on-5, PK, and perhaps most surprisingly the PP, suggests that this is a player who may very well not only finish out his contract here in PGH, but perhaps even be extended (Brooks and his salary will be gone by then, and hopefully the cap bounces up after next year, etc.). Martin has been a revelation, and has taken that right-side & PP spot for the next few years that some may have had Joe Morrow pencilled in for. 2) Matt Niskanen has FULLY turned around from being a reclammation project to a full-blown legit top-4 Dman who can play right or left side, and can play on the PP unit. He's also a better PK & 5-v-5 player than Morrow is now, even if he doesn't have quite the shot or quite the speed. So again, Niskanen may very well be a player that we look to extend for several more seasons. So when you factor in even one, or perhaps both, of Martin & Nisky, PLUS all the other great prospects we have on D, Morrow may not have really had a spot here. (Yes, he was one of our "top-6 prospects", but obviously wans't one of our top-6 Dmen in our organization overall when you factorin in guys who could be here medium-long term: Letang, Niskanen, Martin, Despres, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo, Maatta, Samuelsson and D'Agostino. Of that group, Morrow may well have been rated #7 or #8)

And of course: I would have rather traded Morrow for an established guy like Stewart or Iginla, or top prospect like Coyle, Niederreiter or Filip Forsberg ;), but he's not a top-tier guy like them, and obviously those guys were not available for the price Shero was willing to pay. And while Shero didn't mention the other guys they were looking at, but Brendan was the player we could get who would help our team now and wouldn't really hurt it in the long run. And let's not forget: this is a deep draft, and moving from the 5th round up to the 3rd does help. We may very well be able to find the next Morrow or GoGo to replace them with one of our 3rd round picks, or have those picks be used in a move-up scenario.

And finally, I will end my treatise here: people are forgetting the much maligned Tyler Kennedy. It's very possible that Brendan Morrow essentially bumps TK out of the 3rd line spot (Bennet would skate on RW there, his natural position), and TK could absolutely garner something like a 3rd round pick, or even a 2nd rounder, this year, because he is not a rental and is an RFA this year. So the deal *might* essentially be Brendan Morrow + 3rd rounder (plus another 2nd/3rd rounder) for Joe Morrow, because people wanted Kennedy out anyway.

And to add a point from the Murray thread that I posted: it's still very possible that we move out RFAs like Jeffrey and/or TK in the summer, or move a guy like Orpik, or less likely Niskanen, who are guys that still have term left on their deals (and this probability increases if we were to end up retaining Brendan Morrow, D. Murray, or sign another UFA like Iginla, etc). So while I'm not too happy with giving up two 2nds for Murray, we may make some other moves that very quickly make us forget about those draft picks. So we'll need to wait and see how things unfold in the larger picture (i.e. how we perform in this playoff run, and what other trades/signings we make prior to the draft or in the summertime) before we can properly assess everything that has happened this far. There are still a lot of moving parts, so we'll have to see how things go and exactly where we are in terms of asset management, draft picks & prospects, and player/personnel, when the dust settles after the summer and when next season begins.

This was all pretty well said jmelm. On D, I think we're more than set for now and the future. Just need the goaltending to hold up and can't afford a terrible off-year (like last year for Martin) for one of our key cogs back there in Letang and Martin.

As for Morrow, I posted a few quotes from his presser before and if you didn't know before, the guy is pure quality. Great leader, character, and a guy who will battle hard for it. He said it himself: he wants that cup, badly.

Speaking to the Leclair point, for every Ponikarovsky there's a Guerin. It's a gamble every time when you're taking out a rental, but we are most certainly, perhaps more than any other time in the past two decades, in the situation to go for it. All of our big guns (Sid, Geno, Letang, Neal, even MAF + Martin you can argue) are in their prime are close to it, we have Martin playing fantastic hockey, Kunitz playing terrific, and some solid depth at most positions. The East is weaker than it's been in a few years at the top, and Philly, who has matched up so well against us, is almost certainly out of the playoffs.

The time is now boys, it's time for Sid's second cup.

Or at the very least, time to go balls to the wall trying to get it.

I could not be more excited for the playoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So Morrow is a big fan of Guerin i presume? he said in the video something about wanting to see Billy and had a smile on his face. Most likely ment Guerin. I think Guerin is still with the Pens? can't remember 100%. He should talk to Guerin and Roberts. :D

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
So Morrow is a big fan of Guerin i presume? he said in the video something about wanting to see Billy and had a smile on his face. Most likely ment Guerin. I think Guerin is still with the Pens? can't remember 100%. He should talk to Guerin and Roberts. :D

they played together for three seasons. hell Morrow and Nisky were both seemed excited to see each other - i guess they both know how it feels to be run out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad