Confirmed with Link: PENS/STARS TRADE: Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd<--> Joe Morrow, 2013 5th + contract talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Penguins were probably the best possible situation for Brenden Morrow

Brenden Morrow understands the business of hockey as well as anyone.

He knew that he was not going to be offered a contract extension by the Stars, he knew they were going to move on without him, he knew they probably had doubts about his long-term health. The day they traded for Erik Cole, and praised his cost certainty on a two-year extension at $4 million a season, Morrow had to see the writing on the wall.

So as he wakes up today a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, he has to feel some amount of happiness.

As Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk said yesterday, there’s no easy way to part with a player who has this much time invested in this franchise _ and there’s no easy way for the player to part, either. But if you are going to pull a deal like this one, then Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh is about as good as it can go.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/201...st-possible-scenario-for-brenden-morrow.html/

Great article written by a Dallas writer after the trade. I'm personally excited to see if he can fill that role on the 2nd line we've been trying to hard to fill without much luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I may just be frustrated, I will freely admit. I didn't post from the game last night because I knew my frustrations would get me into trouble.

I will conclude by saying the trade bothered the heck out of me yesterday, and still does today.

I will be the first to post here in a week or two and eat crow if I am wrong. THE FIRST. I hope Morrow comes in and rocks the Penguins socks off.

Lets go pens

Haha. It took me a while to cool off after hearing of the trade too but it is what it is. We just have to hope it works out like you said.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have to say as well, HF is literally the only place I've seen a negative reaction to this trade for the Pens. Twitter, local media, national media, other Pens message boards...by and large it's been positive. Doesn't make one side or the other right or wrong, it's just an interesting observation.
You've been here since 2007 and haven't figured out that it's prospects >>>> proven players on HF? The place has future in it's name for a reason. :laugh:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
As CV says worst case scenario is that he's a Poni and ends up in the press box during the playoffs. Thing that sucks about this is you have to sit and wait to see what Morrow does in Dal to determine the value of the trade.

open0rclosed

Nov 29, 2006
*Kanye shrug* I don't mind the trade. I think I just might actually like it. Says to me Shero recognizes the incredible opportunity the team has to make a Cup run, with the East being so uncharacteristically weak, Sid having a lights-out season, so many things just clicking, etc., so he's going after the top players on the market. I also don't think this means out of the Iggy hunt after all.

Morrow is a good fit here, he's familiar with many of the players and I think a change of scenery will revitalize him.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I don't want to belabor this issue too much before we see what else Shero might be up to with Iginla and others. Here's my bottom line with Morrow:

A. More than happy the guy has been given a real shot to win the Cup, and glad that we have another gutsy, high charcter type guy on this team with playoff experience. I welcome him as a fan and hope he stays healthy and that Kadar turns him into Super-Morrow this summer and that he finishes his career with 4 straight 82 game 20G seasons here. :D

B. I am concerned about the guy's speed / back / knee. He has taken a beating during his career and there's no getting around that with "second wind" talk. If he's hurting, his second wind will last about 3 games.

C. Not happy we gave up Joe Morrow to get him, but it is what it is. I can accept it but I don't have to like it. I'm always the type comparing short-term and long-term in a deal, as much or more than actual value in today's terms. There's arguments to be made both ways.

Shero might be going into this deadline all guns blazing and he's not going to tip his hand to nimrods like Rossi if he is. In fact I could see him telling a few well crafted lies to the media to throw them off the trail. So I'm willing to see what happens over the next week, both with Morrow's play and with Shero / Iggy.

D. If we get Klesla like Kovacevic The Magic 8 Ball predicts, :sarcasm: then I'll feel better because every Cup contender needs a D named Rusty.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
I don't want to belabor this issue too much before we see what else Shero might be up to with Iginla and others. Here's my bottom line with Morrow:

A. More than happy the guy has been given a real shot to win the Cup, and glad that we have another gutsy, high charcter type guy on this team with playoff experience. I welcome him as a fan and hope he stays healthy and that Kadar turns him into Super-Morrow this summer and that he finishes his career with 4 straight 82 game 20G seasons here. :D

B. I am concerned about the guy's speed / back / knee. He has taken a beating during his career and there's no getting around that with "second wind" talk. If he's hurting, his second wind will last about 3 games.

C. Not happy we gave up Joe Morrow to get him, but it is what it is. I can accept it but I don't have to like it. I'm always the type comparing short-term and long-term in a deal, as much or more than actual value in today's terms. There's arguments to be made both ways.

Shero might be going into this deadline all guns blazing and he's not going to tip his hand to nimrods like Rossi if he is. In fact I could see him telling a few well crafted lies to the media to throw them off the trail. So I'm willing to see what happens over the next week, both with Morrow's play and with Shero / Iggy.

D. If we get Klesla like Kovacevic The Magic 8 Ball predicts, :sarcasm: then I'll feel better because every Cup contender needs a D named Rusty.

We have one, he just prefers to be called Orpik.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Regarding the Niskanen <--> BMorrow comparison from previous thread ... only those that had never heard of Nisky before the trade were considering him as useless and a throw in. That might have been the vast majority, but it doesn't make it correct. Informed posters were well aware of his legit upside. He was having a bad season after a stellar rookie and 2nd year. BMorrow is a beaten down shell of his former self after years of playing an extremely physical game. Apples and ****ing oranges.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
We don't need Morrow quite yet, why not ship him to Germany for some super stem cell therapy that will fix him in time for the playoffs :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
posted this in the injury thread, but Kris Letang to IR (believe he can come off at any time?) and Trevor Smith still on the roster.

I'm excited to see this whole team play, including Morrow. I hope we get to see it soon.

Regarding the Niskanen <--> BMorrow comparison from previous thread ... only those that had never heard of Nisky before the trade were considering him as useless and a throw in. That might have been the vast majority, but it doesn't make it correct. Informed posters were well aware of his legit upside. He was having a bad sophomore season after a stellar rookie year. BMorrow is a beaten down shell of his former self after years of playing an extremely physical game. Apples and ****ing oranges.

Niskanen was a young player who had had a legit showing in the NHL and then was seemingly destroyed by a lack of confidence. I don't see this as a comparable for a guy who seems to have slowed down due to father time catching up to him. Right there with you.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Yup. Even after a good night's sleep, this is still a terrible trade.

He replaces Bennett on the second line? It weakens the team.
He replaces either Cooke or Kennedy on the 3rd line? It weakens the team.

Subtraction by addition.

nTsplnk*

I really like this deal, I wanted Shero to get Morrow years ago. He's a great leader, he's gritty, can play in front of the net, has offensive skill.

He just needs a change of scenery-Dallas was moving him out and he was playing like it. I really don't see how important Joe Morrow is if we resign Letang. We have Niskanen, a proven NHL defenseman. We have Despres, a proven defenseman. I feel many highly valued Joe Morrow because of his shot on the PP-but plenty of players had great shots but just weren't that good anywhere else.

We'll see with Joe Morrow. I hope he turns out and we end up with a good roster player that can help us win now. We just had too many D and it's clear Morrow was held least favorably in management's eyes.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Subtraction by addition.

Calder nomination aside we all kinda knew Bennett wasn't going to be playing top 6 minutes for the playoffs though. I think you'll see the rookies get less minutes as time goes on now.

nTsplnk*

Subtraction by addition.

He replaces Bennett? Come on, Bennett is good, but you're overrating him here. He isn't big time yet, he still isn't a very big player, and come playoff time he might get knocked off his game. Morrow is tough as nails.

Kennedy is garbage. He gets a lucky shot every once in awhile but my god, Morrow will be better than Kennedy. You guys are severely underestimating Morrow here, I personally think he gets rejuvenated and gives us the extra edge.

Paul Gaustad got a 1st round pick last year. This year has a worse market than last years. You guys want to win a cup? This is what you do. This isn't 2008. This isn't 2009. Teams keep their players and to get players you have to give good prospects. It's reality.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Calder nomination aside we all kinda knew Bennett wasn't going to be playing top 6 minutes for the playoffs though. I think you'll see the rookies get less minutes as time goes on now.

Bennett's hardly the point.

Regardless of who was currently slated on Geno's wing, the fact that Morrow is potentially the guy to take that spot is enough to give me chest pains.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA

I feel the same way for the most part as you CV. I went to the game last night and I'm glad cause it forced me to not think about the trade for a while and I calmed down from my raging when it first happened haha. If I had been at home I would have posted a 100 times about how bats*** loco I thought Shero had gone :laugh:

Now I'm happy to wait and see how Morrow fits and hopefully makes a better team for the rest of the season.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

The last time the Pens won the Cup it was with a certain Ruslan "Rusty" Fedotenko. You may be onto something. :amazed:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I know people are pissed, but if Morrow is used correctly, he can help this team.

He can still bang bodies and is a guy who will make life miserable for goalies, because he still has no fear of going to the net. He still has value along the boards as well.

The downside is he has trouble keeping up with the play. The other night he was in the NZ and was trying to turn and get a loose puck behind him... It was sad to watch... Later, he also tried to make this slow, awkward backhand pass that almost killed Jagr when he tried to reach back for it. Jags legs aren't what they once were either and he has to slow down for Morrow. I'm not going to lie... It isn't pretty. But you can never count out a guy's heart.

I'm just worried about DB misusing him. I know how he is with grizzled vets and Morrow is the epitome of a grizzled vet. I really think his value is on the third line, and if you give him 18-20 mins a night with Malkin, he isn't going to be able to keep up.

I'm counting on Morrow's heart willing him to do more than what my eyes saw.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
He replaces Bennett? Come on, Bennett is good, but you're overrating him here. He isn't big time yet, he still isn't a very big player, and come playoff time he might get knocked off his game. Morrow is tough as nails.

Kennedy is garbage. He gets a lucky shot every once in awhile but my god, Morrow will be better than Kennedy. You guys are severely underestimating Morrow here, I personally think he gets rejuvenated and gives us the extra edge.

Paul Gaustad got a 1st round pick last year. This year has a worse market than last years. You guys want to win a cup? This is what you do. This isn't 2008. This isn't 2009. Teams keep their players and to get players you have to give good prospects. It's reality.

Am I the only one that thinks TK has really picked up his play lately? He's been much more effective on the forecheck and he's starting to put pucks into the net again. If we trade him in a package for a better player I won't be upset but I'm warming up to him staying again.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I know people are pissed, but if Morrow is used correctly, he can help this team.

He can still bang bodies and is a guy who will make life miserable for goalies, because he still has no fear of going to the net. He still has value along the boards as well.

The downside is he has trouble keeping up with the play. The other night he was in the NZ and was trying to turn and get a loose puck behind him... It was sad to watch... Later, he also tried to make this slow, awkward backhand pass that almost killed Jagr when he tried to reach back for it. Jags legs aren't what they once were either and he has to slow down for Morrow. I'm not going to lie... It isn't pretty. But you can never count out a guy's heart.

I'm just worried about DB misusing him. I know how he is with grizzled vets and Morrow is the epitome of a grizzled vet. I really think his value is on the third line, and if you give him 18-20 mins a night with Malkin, he isn't going to be able to keep up.

I'm counting on Morrow's heart willing him to do more than what my eyes saw.

well ****. If Jiggy is somewhat OK with it, I don't even know what's up and what's down anymore.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I really like this deal, I wanted Shero to get Morrow years ago. He's a great leader, he's gritty, can play in front of the net, has offensive skill.

And most likely, a couple years after that is when it stopped making sense. We'll have to wait and see. All signs right now point to this being a short-sighted deal, especially if Morrow is the only F we acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad