Confirmed with Link: PENS/STARS TRADE: Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd<--> Joe Morrow, 2013 5th + contract talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe we're overlooking the obvious here. If the Pens organization was losing hope in Morrow and thought Maatta & Pouliot would pan out to be better in the long run, maybe other GMs thought that as well. It's not like scouts don't watch this kind of stuff.

Maybe we're all whining about the Pens trading away a guy who we thought had a lot more value around the league than he actually did. Granted we were led to believe that stuff based on what Shero said about him, but that was last year. There was obviously something about Morrow that made him the most expendable of the D prospects in Shero's eyes.

its not always who more expendable......but what the other team wants!

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
And if it was Pouliot, why did it have to be Pouliot?
And if it was Määttä, why did it have to be Määttä?
And if it was Despres, why did it have to be Despres?
And if it was Harrington...

This board has been unreadable tonight. Get off the ledge and realize that we had six top defensive prospects that are all pretty much interchangeable. Now we have five. Whatever will we do? Given Morrow's season I'd much rather lose him than Pouliot or Despres.

The value of the deal was bad, yes, but this board comes off like a bunch of teenagers *****ing that their dad got them an Audi instead of a Bimmer.

What has been told to me by people on this board after I critique the emphasis on drafting way too many defensemen when the forward cupboards are bare are that these D prospects are supposedly worth a whole lot more and can be flipped for a very good forward. 11 points this season and 20-30ish last season is not a good forward.

Just because we have a lot of 100 dollar bills in our wallet doesnt make those 100 dollar bills worth any less. This was horrible value and honestly I think Boston has won this deal by never making it in the first place.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Maybe we're overlooking the obvious here. If the Pens organization was losing hope in Morrow and thought Maatta & Pouliot would pan out to be better in the long run, maybe other GMs thought that as well. It's not like scouts don't watch this kind of stuff.

Maybe we're all whining about the Pens trading away a guy who we thought had a lot more value around the league than he actually did. Granted we were led to believe that stuff based on what Shero said about him, but that was last year. There was obviously something about Morrow that made him the most expendable of the D prospects in Shero's eyes.

Based on Boston's reported offer, I think Morrow's value is around what we thought it was.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I love how everyone keeps calling Morrow a "top 9" player. To translate that means he used to be a top 6 player who is now old and slow 3rd liner who the Pens will try to fit a square peg in a round hole by putting him on the second line
No it just means that they don't know where the guy fits because you can't predict chemistry. I don't like the deal either but what can you do. He clearly isn't the top flight power forward he once was in Dallas but maybe he can still contribute in a supporting role. I won't hold his struggles on a mediocre team against him. I'll wait to judge him for what he is here. All you can really do is hope that he has one more run in him and that Shero makes that 3rd round pick count for something whether it's another addition at the deadline or making a great pick in a supposedly deep draft.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's really all up to Brendan whether he's a rental or signed for a couple seasons after this run with his performance in the playoffs.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It's really all up to Brendan whether he's a rental or signed for a couple seasons after this run with his performance in the playoffs.
Morrow will see his salary plummet if he decides to stick around. It's very similar to Guerin's situation aside from the much bigger cost to acquire Morrow. Guerin played well in the playoffs and then got re-signed but his salary went from about 4.5 to 2 million. I think Morrow will have to play well and be willing to take a big pay cut too.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
We should do that. Can we also make a poll about whether or not people are upset about the loss of Joe Morrow or the acquisition of Brenden Morrow?

Things no one in this thread has said or implied for $1,000, please, Alex.

Oh I bet it gets said in a thread about the trade if we happen to win the cup. Minus the fire shero part.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Just like there is no guarantee that Joe Morrow will ever accomplish anything big in the NHL.

True, but I'll take my chances on a prospect seen as good enough to be picked in the first round that has years to contribute versus a guy at the end of his career that may contribute nothing for the month or two he is here.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
I hope the 3rd round pick Dallas sent us winds up becoming Marco Dano :) That guy has Bondra written all over him. He is a goal scorer for sure.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know people are saying Morrow has slowed down, but the guy is only 34. Is it not possible that moving to a team that is among the Cup favorites rejuvenates him a bit? Maybe just a change of scenery will do him well. He was obviously the odd man out in Dallas long before yesterday. That has to take a toll.

ETA: I'll be more direct, actually...the GMs of the two best teams in the Eastern Conference were in a bidding war over the guy. I'll assume that they know more than the armchair GMs of HFBoards. No offense meant.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Eh... the Pens are going for it so I'm not that upset. I would have liked to have seen the Pens go after someone with better legs and at a better age but I like what B Morrow brings. I'm hoping that he can bring to Malkins line what Kunitz did last year. The boardwork, chippy play and some offense too. It will be interesting to see what he does in the Pens active system. At worst he improves the bottom 6... something we've all wanted this year.

J Morrow is an OK prospect. I think he'll be a solid player one day but people making him out to be some kind of an elite prospect are just flat out wrong. In the end the Pens still have their only elite prospect (DePo) and Morrow comes from a stock of middle defensemen that the Pens have enough of.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Y'all are whiny spoiled brats! Shero still has plenty of toys left on the blueline for us to overhype for the next 2-3 years before they are traded for much less than you think they deserve, relax!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Jack Edwards absolutely hates that the Pens got Morrow! Also says that Iginla is who the Bruins want, but doesn't think Chia is going to give up what it would take, because it would derail his plans for the next 2-3 years. Basically the Pens were the best team now and they will probably just take their chances with this lineup

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
True, but I'll take my chances on a prospect seen as good enough to be picked in the first round that has years to contribute versus a guy at the end of his career that may contribute nothing for the month or two he is here.

Nobody knows how the roster will look like once Morrow is ready to play in the NHL fulltime.
Maybe Malkin and/or Letang are no longer on the team and the cup chances are nowhere as good as they look know. I rather take a gamble to enhance already good cup chances than having a solid team for many years only to lose in the 1st or 2nd round annually.
Malkin, Fleury, Crosby and Letang are still young, but a lot can happen and the supposed cup window isn't as big as it seems at the first look. You just have to look at the past seasons, 1 or 2 injuries to Malkin or Sid or a bad playoff performance from the defence/Fleury and you waste another year. So, why not take a gamble during a year where most things look pretty good.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Trades are crapshoots. You never know how they will end up. But in this case, using your prospect depth and trading your number 1 pick and many including me think he has a bright future for a freaken rental is hard to swallow. Lets see, we are questioning Joe Morrow for his defensive issues and forget his shot, his speed his offensive acumen. Yet we are willing to give a retread 34 year old winger who has not been very good for two years a pass. Yes a change of scenery will really unleash that talent still in the tank. He brings intangibles that this team desperately needs. Really? Puck moving defensemen who can shoot and pass and skate are to valuable a commodity to give up for some retread winger whose best days are three years behind him. If Malkin and Letang are not 100 % this team has no shot of going anywhere.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If Shero can land us Iginla, and a piece to shore up the defense, we are going to be very strong for this playoff run. Given the fact that Iginla's contract would be twice pro-rated by first the lockout, and second the fact he's been paid out for 30 of the 48 games in the schedule by calgary, his hit is going to be small. Like 1.5-2. We can fit him. It's just a matter of IF the cost makes sense. Being one of the few teams on a short list certainly helps our cause. Naturally, he'd have to be prepared to take a paycut to stay beyond this season and Shero would have to arrange to be able to gauge that before consumating a deal because Iginla will not come cheap.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
If Shero can land us Iginla, and a piece to shore up the defense, we are going to be very strong for this playoff run. Given the fact that Iginla's contract would be twice pro-rated by first the lockout, and second the fact he's been paid out for 30 of the 48 games in the schedule by calgary, his hit is going to be small. Like 1.5-2. We can fit him. It's just a matter of IF the cost makes sense. Being one of the few teams on a short list certainly helps our cause. Naturally, he'd have to be prepared to take a paycut to stay beyond this season and Shero would have to arrange to be able to gauge that before consumating a deal because Iginla will not come cheap.

After seeing what the hell a 20-30 point B Morrow cost the last thing I want to see Shero do is pursue Iginla. If he were to have overspent on an old past his prime rental I wouldve rather it of been Iginla but that ship has sailed and we blew our wad on a 3rd liner.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Ryan Whitney -> Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi
Alex Goligoski -> James Neal and Matt Niskanen
Joe Morrow, 5th -> Brenden Morrow, 3rd

Pens management has a solid history of maximizing our depth on the blueline via trades and I think they've earned a little leeway here.

I'm going to miss Joe Morrow like the rest of you but quit acting like Shero deserves to lose his job over this trade...the team is in the middle of a 12 game winning streak and first in the East. RS has probably done some things right along the way as well.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Trades are crapshoots. You never know how they will end up. But in this case, using your prospect depth and trading your number 1 pick and many including me think he has a bright future for a freaken rental is hard to swallow. Lets see, we are questioning Joe Morrow for his defensive issues and forget his shot, his speed his offensive acumen. Yet we are willing to give a retread 34 year old winger who has not been very good for two years a pass. Yes a change of scenery will really unleash that talent still in the tank. He brings intangibles that this team desperately needs. Really? Puck moving defensemen who can shoot and pass and skate are to valuable a commodity to give up for some retread winger whose best days are three years behind him. If Malkin and Letang are not 100 % this team has no shot of going anywhere.

I think it's true for most teams that if 2 of their 3 best players are injured they're in trouble.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I don't see us going after Iginla at this point, but you never know. Even though most here want to see Dupuis moved to the 3rd line, I'd say the Pens/Sid have been quite happy with him on the 1st.

Stll would like to see a bottom 6 forward brought in though.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
good trade for the Pens. draft picks tend to be overvalued and the Pens still have some marvelous depth on defence. gotta go for the cup while you have the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad