Confirmed with Link: PENS/STARS TRADE: Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd<--> Joe Morrow, 2013 5th + contract talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The team didn't need goals, or defensemen (esp after grabbing Eaton). They needed leadership and grit. This was very much like getting Guerin in the cup years. And we saw how that turned out.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
I will reiterate the warning that several of us have offered, so to speak. Morrow looks done, really done. I know Guerin was like that before he came here, but he was playing on an Islanders team going nowhere and everybody knew it. Dallas is still in it and judging by Morrow's comments he really has a connection with that city and wants to win a cup there. So I assume he is not winging it, he's been injured one time too many and the wheels have come off.

Anyway, it will be an interesting week. I hope he surprises me and we can talk about what the hell is wrong with the Dallas locker room. I will gladly eat all the crow you guys can muster up, but I've seen enough Stars games this season to know this is highly impropable.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
The team didn't need goals, or defensemen (esp after grabbing Eaton). They needed leadership and grit. This was very much like getting Guerin in the cup years. And we saw how that turned out.

I don't really see the Guerin comparison. Very different players, Guerin was a sniper brought in to play first line and score goals. That he turned out to be so great in the room ended up being a huge bonus.

I think Morrow is more Gary Roberts 2.0, but hopefully with bigger contributions in ice time and production.

I agree that Morrow fills a clear need and he is one of the guys I had pinpointed as a great fit. I just never dreamed it would cost Joe Morrow.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
If we get Kunitz without his points I don't mind it. Anything to get Malkin and Neal going 5 on 5.

We are on the same page. Brenden may look horrible this season, it's gonna be a big difference for him being with a natural playmaker, a former teammate, and most specially a successful team.

Yet to see if Shero gonna make another trade, I still think TK won't be part of the team anymore in days coming.

People talking about Iggy, but ain't Hemsky would be a better winger ?

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
This board seems to think impact players can be bought for TK, Glass (our worst assets right now) and a pick. If Joe Morrow is too much to cough up, half of you guys would probably jump off a bridge if we traded for Iggy. Calgary wants to trade him for a package that will be the core of their rebuild. We'd have to empty out half of our prospect pool and picks to nab him. Every other team in the league is apparently balking at the asking price too, I'm not willing to sell the farm (Really sell the farm. Despite what some of you think, trading Joe isn't selling the farm, it's not even close.) for a player on the decline and whose contract would jeopardize Malkin and Letang's future here if we resigned him. With this shortened season most of the teams in the league haven't decided if they are buyers or sellers yet and will wait until the trade deadline to do so. By then, prices will be even higher than they are now and some teams will be willing to make panic moves and offer asset packages we can't even hope to match. Shero saw a deal that didn't jeopardize our long term future and took it. Our immediate chances of winning a Cup are better for it. How much better remains to be seen.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This board seems to think impact players can be bought for TK, Glass (our worst assets right now) and a pick. If Joe Morrow is too much to cough up, half of you guys would probably jump off a bridge if we traded for Iggy. Calgary wants to trade him for a package that will be the core of their rebuild. We'd have to empty out half of our prospect pool and picks to nab him. Every other team in the league is apparently balking at the asking price too, I'm not willing to sell the farm (Really sell the farm. Despite what some of you think, trading Joe isn't selling the farm, it's not even close.) for a player on the decline and whose contract would jeopardize Malkin and Letang's future here if we resigned him. With this shortened season most of the teams in the league haven't decided if they are buyers or sellers yet and will wait until the trade deadline to do so. By then, prices will be even higher than they are now and some teams will be willing to make panic moves and offer asset packages we can't even hope to match. Shero saw a deal that didn't jeopardize our long term future and took it. Our immediate chances of winning a Cup are better for it. How much better remains to be seen.

People don't care that Joe Morrow was traded. The big rub is that a lot of people who have seen Brenden Morrow play - including Stars fans - completely disagree with the notion that the team just got better and their cup chances improved.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Interesting trade.

Glad we got another vet that had grit and leadership. I see the Guerin trade in this. He brings leadership and a want to win. And this team has shown it DOES respond to this type of player, he will be welcomed in that locker room, and fit in with no issue.

Now to all of the holy ****.....what a complete joke of a trade....pens are getting shafted....Shero is a idiot....and the rest of the absurd over the top knee jerk reactions, please just submit your resumes to your local teams and show them how much knowledge you posses. Yes, Shero just decided to make a fellow gm save his job, so he sends a good prospect for a old washed up player! In no way have ANY Penguins scouts watched Morrow play this year, in no way do the Penguins think they just might have other defensemen in the system, therefore allowing them to move a ASSET to acquire a player of value.

This place is so predictable, very few level headed thoughts, the value of prospects is laughable when compared to actual NHL players. Ya why try and win a STANLEY CUP, when we can just horde the almighty prospects and cherish the idea of what the future might bring...

This.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Since dallas doesnt have their own 3rd rounder, wich one do we get. They have the Wild and the Oilers 3rd round picks. Lets hope its the oilers, but i bet its the wilds.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site

Except Guerin didn't cost us one of our better prospects and there is no guarantee Morrow works out like Guerin. For every Guerin you have there are far more more that don't work out like that. As another poster said, Guerin was on a team going nowhere while Dallas can still make the playoffs and they still wanted to purge him. Of course, it's hard to blame them given how much teams were willing to overpay.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Lol, if people just care about his shape and statistics, that's sure they'll deny his impact.

We add experience, leadership, strenght. Actually what we needed on the second line. It sure helps coming playoffs time, but people still think on future above present.

And according to him, it's been a while Stars organisation and fans lose their faith on his case. He clearly needed to move.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well.... its done. Lets see what he has. Next couple of months will bring answers. We could win the cup , gents, and any sane fan could then care less about Joe Morrow.

Not rationalizing here. I still think it was a bizarre return. Today.

GarrettC

Feb 1, 2009
Let's see what the team looks like on April 3rd before getting all worked up over a prospect. If Morrow manages to get even strength production out of line 2 or 3 then the team improved and our chances of a championship increase. I have a feeling Shero isn't finished yet so let's be patient and see if he can further improve the team over the next week.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Lol, if people just care about his shape and statistics, that's sure they'll deny his impact.

We add experience, leadership, strenght. Actually what we needed on the second line. It sure helps coming playoffs time, but people still think on future above present.

And according to him, it's been a while Stars organisation and fans lose their faith on his case. He clearly needed to move.

Except there's no guarantee he can maintain a spot on that line, or that any of that strength, grit and leadership will really make that much of a difference.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
"what he wants to do over the next two or three years is to go play with Pittsburgh"

the inference in that verbally is that he is repeating a quote from a conversation he had with Morrow

That's just the first half of the quote.

If Morrow comes into Pittsburgh, has a great playoff then he re-establishes himself around the league as "still having it" and could raise his profile to sign with another contender.

I don't see that Nieuwendyk quote as a sure-fire "staying in Pittsburgh" type thing, just a "if he gets back on track, he's going to open doors for a better future and Pittsburgh is a better place to start than Dallas right now".

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I am curious about Brenden, his style could fit on this team, but we will see. It´s definitely a question mark.

On the other hand, I don´t understand the guys jumping from the bridge because we traded Joe M.. I was saying it for a while, he was crazily overrated here because of one good training camp. He has done nothing special since then and he clearly wasn´t the No.1 on our prospect pool anymore. Maybe Shero traded him just in the right time. Maybe...

Hell, I have seen Seattle-Portland game last week and Pouliot was absolutely outstanding there. We are OK heading to the future, really OK. Despres is a stud as well.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Except there's no guarantee he can maintain a spot on that line, or that any of that strength, grit and leadership will really make that much of a difference.

Just like there is no guarantee that Joe Morrow will ever accomplish anything big in the NHL.

SteelFish87*

I love how everyone keeps calling Morrow a "top 9" player. To translate that means he used to be a top 6 player who is now old and slow 3rd liner who the Pens will try to fit a square peg in a round hole by putting him on the second line

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Brenden Morrow would be a upgrade on the 2nd/3rd line. He is hungry to win and i don't like the trade, but i do like the fact that Shero is going all in right now.Depending on how he performs here, I'd resign him on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
We should make a poll... how many people have seen Joe Morrow play more than 5 games?

People will lie, but if it was an honest poll I would say the number would be somewhere in the 5% or less category. I can't believe people are crying about a guy they've never really even seen play.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Well.... its done. Lets see what he has. Next couple of months will bring answers. We could win the cup , gents, and any sane fan could then care less about Joe Morrow.

Not rationalizing here. I still think it was a bizarre return. Today.

Nono... even if we win a cup, 'we could have done it without brendan morrow.... fire shero'

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We should make a poll... how many people have seen Joe Morrow play more than 5 games?

People will lie, but if it was an honest poll I would say the number would be somewhere in the 5% or less category. I can't believe people are crying about a guy they've never really even seen play.

We should do that. Can we also make a poll about whether or not people are upset about the loss of Joe Morrow or the acquisition of Brenden Morrow?

Nono... even if we win a cup, 'we could have done it without brendan morrow.... fire shero'

Things no one in this thread has said or implied for $1,000, please, Alex.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I am curious about Brenden, his style could fit on this team, but we will see. It´s definitely a question mark.

On the other hand, I don´t understand the guys jumping from the bridge because we traded Joe M.. I was saying it for a while, he was crazily overrated here because of one good training camp. He has done nothing special since then and he clearly wasn´t the No.1 on our prospect pool anymore. Maybe Shero traded him just in the right time. Maybe...

don't mind that he was traded..... its just what we got back....i thought he could of been part of a package for a long term ans.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
don't mind that he was traded..... its just what we got back....i thought he could of been part of a package for a long term ans.

Maybe we're overlooking the obvious here. If the Pens organization was losing hope in Morrow and thought Maatta & Pouliot would pan out to be better in the long run, maybe other GMs thought that as well. It's not like scouts don't watch this kind of stuff.

Maybe we're all whining about the Pens trading away a guy who we thought had a lot more value around the league than he actually did. Granted we were led to believe that stuff based on what Shero said about him, but that was last year. There was obviously something about Morrow that made him the most expendable of the D prospects in Shero's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad