Post-Game Talk: Pens sink to new depths vs Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Amazing what Crosby looks like with Malkin level wingers compared to playing with a world class talen like Gentzel. Fair to say he looks just as bad, heck worse than Malkin. Go figure. Oh wait I remember how all these Analyst blames Geno for power play woes and he shouldn't be on it... Hmm i swear power play 1 is even worse than powerplay 2. Either way, just to say, BOTH Malkin and Crosby need all star level wingers to be productive at their current career stage.
Yeah it's almost like they needed to try to add another Guentzel rather than subtracting one. Whoda thunk?

1711192426548.png

But losses are much better than wins for the rest of this season, so rack em up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid is, by all accounts, a fantastic dude. I appreciate that far more than the on-ice stuff. But I'm not gonna be one of those weirdos who venerates a pro athlete. He's a stranger. :laugh:

I don't believe at all that he's pulling the strings behind the scenes and forcing this team to keep Sully or whatever, but he is absolutely, 100% the driving factor behind this team being petrified into stagnation.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
They're gonna keep that pick if they're able to. They're going to want the prospect to make the team asap and not have to wait.

Which is gonna make all of us sweat next year knowing we may be handing SJ a lottery pick.

Hopefully we win the lottery this year or at least move into the top 3.
Lol Sullivan wouldn’t start Bedard.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sid is, by all accounts, a fantastic dude. I appreciate that far more than the on-ice stuff. But I'm not gonna be one of those weirdos who venerates a pro athlete. He's a stranger. :laugh:

I don't believe at all that he's pulling the strings behind the scenes and forcing this team to keep Sully or whatever, but he is absolutely, 100% the driving factor behind this team being petrified into stagnation.
It's wild that people think Sid is intentionally playing badly as part of his master plan to help the franchise. That's some amazing cope.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from 32 Thoughts before the Caps won again last night…just read and extrapolate this to the Pens…Caps are one point behind for a PO spot rn…lol

10. We’ll get to that, but he revealed something pretty interesting about hiring Spencer Carbery. The Capitals play a lot of defensive-zone man-to-man, and, when the coach said that was his philosophy during the interview process, MacLellan didn’t like the idea. But, the organization knew Carbery, wanted to hire him and decided that wasn’t going to be a dealbreaker. “I talked about it with our staff,” MacLellan said. “If you’re going to hire a coach, you have to let him coach the way he wants.” Carbery’s done a great job keeping Washington in the race. Early in the season, they looked slow and discombobulated.

11. The Capitals lost 7-3 to Toronto on Wednesday night. They are one point out of the playoffs, although their .551 points percentage is tied with Detroit for eighth in the east and their regulation wins (27, the first tiebreaker) number is good. For years, we saw a team that happily outscored anyone, now the identity is totally changed. After a 7-2 loss in Edmonton, they grinded out wins over Seattle (2-1), Vancouver (2-1) and Calgary (5-2). MacLellan credited Charlie Lindgren (of the .911 save percentage), adding that Alexander Alexeyev, Hendrix Lapierreand Ivan Miroshnichenko — given greater roles due to trades — injected fresh energy into the roster

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordy and farscape1

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Yeah, if Seattle wins tonight, I believe we’re picking 8th if we stay on the same trajectory…odds are the player we get at 8 isn’t going to be a huge difference maker…the team would have to make a judgment on this year’s draft vs next season’s…if the quality is better in the top ten next season, you have to give pick #8 this season to SJ
You almost 100% know if it’s a top 10, we’re keeping the pick.

Doing otherwise implies defeat next season. If columnist decide to report on it, that will very likely impact ticket sales more than the benefit gained by the pick.

You have to keep hope alive.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was defending him and he´s not the reason (at least not the main one) that the season is a disaster. But he is an extremely fragile and predictable goalie, gotta admit that.
People need to remember the high amount of high danger quality chances they give up.

Any goalie will crack/break down given the circumstances.

A quality lineup restricts/limits that aspect.

Reactions: Victor Z

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sid gives me a completely beige feeling. Like mashed potatoes without cheese and sour cream and salt.

Still laughing about how Dubas thought this was a playoff roster as recently as the TDL
remove the coach, and he could be right. we see how the players preform after they are moved.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
You almost 100% know if it’s a top 10, we’re keeping the pick.

Doing otherwise implies defeat next season. If columnist decide to report on it, that will very likely impact ticket sales more than the benefit gained by the pick.

You have to keep hope alive.
only if we have a new coach, otherwise there is no way we will be better next year. so we would be throwing away the higher pick. and our chance at a franchise player.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Good news, bad news time. First the bad:

1. We know it wasn't Carter or Harkins getting in the way.
2. For as "good" as Jarry has been, he can still lose you games.
3. Our defensive systems are bad.
4. Our offensive systems are bad.
5. Our coaching is bad.
6. Sid looks frustrated as all hell.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
only if we have a new coach, otherwise there is no way we will be better next year. so we would be throwing away the higher pick. and our chance at a franchise player.
A lot riding on what Dubas does. I don’t think the bones of the team are last place.

If the ownership/Dubas are really that incompetent and after a 3rd round of changes, can’t figure out Sully is a problem, then we are pretty screwed as a franchise.

There is a difference between idiocy and a conscious decision. I say they will keep the pick unless they are selling everything and aiming to tank.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wow the GDT's shrunk from around 30 pages (guessing average) to some days under 10 pages. Most games more like.... just wait until this HCMS led team performance affects ticket sales. It is coming....

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Good news, bad news time. First the bad:

1. We know it wasn't Carter or Harkins getting in the way.
2. For as "good" as Jarry has been, he can still lose you games.
3. Our defensive systems are bad.
4. Our offensive systems are bad.
5. Our coaching is bad.
6. Sid looks frustrated as all hell.
Early in the season we had a few noisy wheel bearings. Instead of fixing them, we let the wheels fall off.

Reactions: SEALBound

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
.500 team and falling

tenor.gif
30 Total Wins.

25 regulation wins.
3 Extra time wins.
2 Shoot-out wins.
--------------------
39 Total Losses

30 regulations losses.
7 Extra time losses.
2 Shoot-out losses.

Discounting 14 extra time /ot games, 5w 9l they are 25-wins 30-losses.
NHL record keeping is ridiculously dumb. Maybe some business strategy there... who knows.... but yeah, my point is they are technically not a 500 team.
If I got my numbers right doing the figures....
:dunno:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
30 Total Wins.

25 regulation wins.
3 Extra time wins.
2 Shoot-out wins.
--------------------
39 Total Losses

30 regulations losses.
7 Extra time losses.
2 Shoot-out losses.

Discounting 14 extra time /ot games, 5w 9l they are 25-wins 30-losses.
NHL record keeping is ridiculously dumb. Maybe some business strategy there... who knows.... but yeah, my point is they are technically not a 500 team.
If I got my numbers right doing the figures....
:dunno:
Naw youre pretty much right, don't hurt yourself doing the math

I actively disregarded the OTL, and gave them a .500 record merely on regulation numbers

I'm also sure they've been at or below .500 at other points this season, and many others (it is easy to be like 2-4 to start a year)

but I don't think we've been this bad this LATE into a season in like 20 years...

To be even wins and losses after over 60 games is BAD

I've done no research to back that up, but we've never been so badly out of the playoff hunt since 2005?

Reactions: LOGiK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Caps suck and have gotten really lucky to be in the race. They're like minus thirty or whatever. Pure luck they're still in it.

Pens suck too ofc.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
The Caps suck and have gotten really lucky to be in the race. They're like minus thirty or whatever. Pure luck they're still in it.

Pens suck too ofc.
And that is why the pens will run it back next year.

And, in a sickening way, they wouldn't be wrong. Just a few more powerplay percentages would have the pens in the hunt for real.

Just bad luck this year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
And that is why the pens will run it back next year.

And, in a sickening way, they wouldn't be wrong. Just a few more powerplay percentages would have the pens in the hunt for real.

Just bad luck this year.
If the Pens are unlucky then it's three straight years of being unlucky. Because the finishing has been garbage for 3 straight years now. That suggests something systematic.

The Caps though...25th in 5v5 xgoals. -30 goal differential. They're pretty shit by just about any metric one would look at. It's a miracle they're in the race still. It'd be one thing if they had bad xgoals metrics but a good goal differential, but they don't even have that. Being outscored 30 and being in a playoff race is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad