Post-Game Talk: Pens sink to new depths vs Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
We should all be rooting for them to lose. This team needs as high a draft pick as possible inside the top 10 and Sully and Co need to show their ass as the kids say

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I seriously wonder who will captain this shit-squad after Sid leaves???

Hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing Sid without the “C” a few games at this point.

f*** it….send a message.

As whatever he’s doing….it’s a piss-poor showing from someone who is supposed to be a “veteran leader” :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Nah Crosby was not carrying the Team this year. Jake was by far. Soon has he went down in injury, Crosby was a non factor despite putting in an effort. Once they traded Jake, is when he 75% mailed it in. And after the last weekend's loosing streak, than he mailed it in. Please put actual context in this.
Crosby and Guentzel, as a duo, were carrying the team offensively. It's not like Crosby was worthless out there but those two were essential to each others success this season.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
FWIW, Jake went down with injury in the Florida game on 2/14 iirc. Since then;

Sid - 19GP, 5G, 12A, 17PTS
Geno - 19GP, 3G, 7A, 10PTS

Between Jake injury on 2/14 to Jake trade on 3/8;

Sid - 12GP, 4G, 7A, 11PTS
Geno - 12GP, 2G, 5A, 7PTS

Jake dealt on 3/8. From Jake trade through present;

Sid - 7GP, 1G, 5A, 6PTS
Geno - 7GP, 1G, 2A, 3PTS

Calgary collapse, largely attributed to the day the season died, happened on 3/2. Since then:

Sid - 11GP, 1G, 6A, 7PTS
Geno - 11GP, 3G, 3A, 6PTS

Make of it all whatever you will.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Amazing what Crosby looks like with Malkin level wingers compared to playing with a world class talen like Gentzel. Fair to say he looks just as bad, heck worse than Malkin. Go figure. Oh wait I remember how all these Analyst blames Geno for power play woes and he shouldn't be on it... Hmm i swear power play 1 is even worse than powerplay 2. Either way, just to say, BOTH Malkin and Crosby need all star level wingers to be productive at their current career stage.
Thing is Sid pretty much quit playing hard back in the first week of March after Letang lost them the Calgary game. Who can blame him? He was breaking his back carrying the team and saw it was all a fruitless endeavor anyway.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
FWIW, Jake went down with injury in the Florida game on 2/14 iirc. Since then;

Sid - 19GP, 5G, 12A, 17PTS
Geno - 19GP, 3G, 7A, 10PTS

Between Jake injury on 2/14 to Jake trade on 3/8;

Sid - 12GP, 4G, 7A, 11PTS
Geno - 12GP, 2G, 5A, 7PTS

Jake dealt on 3/8. From Jake trade through present;

Sid - 7GP, 1G, 5A, 6PTS
Geno - 7GP, 1G, 2A, 3PTS

Calgary collapse, largely attributed to the day the season died, happened on 3/2. Since then:

Sid - 11GP, 1G, 6A, 7PTS
Geno - 11GP, 3G, 3A, 6PTS

Make of it all whatever you will.
Yeah. It was the Calgary collapse that killed the Sid. Jake´s going down and then being officially traded obviously doesn´t help, but it´s the Calgary collapse changing his game and mindset drastically. It´s all fine and natural, he´s a human after all. 90% of us would do the same. He realized that no matter what he does, this team is DEAD anyway.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A bunch of us said all last summer that they needed to find a way to find a second Jake-caliber winger in order for this team to have a chance, even after EK was added.

Now, the team's staring down a second straight playoff miss and Jake's gone, so they went from a one line team to a zero line team unless Dubas pulls a 180 this summer (lol).

Yeah, if they don't luck into a crazy pick due to lotto balls, punt SJ the pick. Team's been cooked, they're charred now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A bunch of us said all last summer that they needed to find a way to find a second Jake-caliber winger in order for this team to have a chance, even after EK was added.

Now, the team's staring down a second straight playoff miss and Jake's gone, so they went from a one line team to a zero line team unless Dubas pulls a 180 this summer (lol).

Yeah, if they don't luck into a crazy pick due to lotto balls, punt SJ the pick. Team's been cooked, they're charred now.
They're gonna keep that pick if they're able to. They're going to want the prospect to make the team asap and not have to wait.

Which is gonna make all of us sweat next year knowing we may be handing SJ a lottery pick.

Hopefully we win the lottery this year or at least move into the top 3.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They're gonna keep that pick if they're able to. They're going to want the prospect to make the team asap and not have to wait.

Which is gonna make all of us sweat next year knowing we may be handing SJ a lottery pick.

Hopefully we win the lottery this year or at least move into the top 3.
Yeah, if Seattle wins tonight, I believe we’re picking 8th if we stay on the same trajectory…odds are the player we get at 8 isn’t going to be a huge difference maker…the team would have to make a judgment on this year’s draft vs next season’s…if the quality is better in the top ten next season, you have to give pick #8 this season to SJ

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens simply can't add with the cap this year. Dubas may gave added players who are financial costs that limit the season. But after this team ends in top 10 for the draft, Dubas I believe will end the "all in" and move up the timetable for a rebuild of the system. Managing Sullivan is critical here. FSG stupidly extended him and they have to grasp the obvious. He adapts or he is gone.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think anybody short of Celebrini is coming in and playing immediately, and even then, I doubt it makes a notable difference. At best, I think he maybe replaces Jake's production. So, we're right back to where this team's been the past two years. :laugh: I'd still keep the pick if it was top-5, but not because it's gonna be an immediate help, but because you just gotta roll the dice if you get that lucky.

Definitely do not feel optimistic that this team's gonna improve next year. Sid's gonna lose his PPG streak (if he doesn't this year) and there's nowhere near enough depth to take the pressure off of Sid and Geno.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think running a 2nd line with a centre who actually played defense and tried would help a lot.

Trade Malkin, run 3 defensive lines, while the Crosby line carries. Probably good enough to make the playoffs.

Time to trade Letang too, and just build around EK.

I think Malkin has value because his term is short, but Letang is done.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Can't wait to see what "new depth" Mike Sullivan and Kyle Dubas saddle this team with next season.
More Michael Buntings incoming! Cheaper, worse, but more in quantity.

For the record, I still would have signed literally any other goalie than Jarry this summer like I professed.
It's incredible how bad Jarry gets every year in March, like clockwork. How apt of this org to ignore a career's worth of historical data like that and sign him to 5 years anyway.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think anybody short of Celebrini is coming in and playing immediately, and even then, I doubt it makes a notable difference. At best, I think he maybe replaces Jake's production. So, we're right back to where this team's been the past two years. :laugh: I'd still keep the pick if it was top-5, but not because it's gonna be an immediate help, but because you just gotta roll the dice if you get that lucky.

Definitely do not feel optimistic that this team's gonna improve next year. Sid's gonna lose his PPG streak (if he doesn't this year) and there's nowhere near enough depth to take the pressure off of Sid and Geno.
1711177677321.png

We'll see where Celebrini lands. But even if the Pens win the lotto, I don't think he's altering the trajectory they've been on for years. /shrug

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Sully. The team that YOUR the head coach for hasn't executed the second half of the season. Just keep on running your system which teams have figured out and you don't have the speed or youth to even run it anyone.
Please stop sending all this blame Sully's way, the onus is not on him. (Dubas smirk)

One thing I have to say about coaching staff is it's always the easy, low hanging fruit and target of everything. This team means a great deal to him and he takes it very seriously. (Dubas smirk intensifies)

Based on his player development alone, I envision Mike Sullivan as the head of this team at a minimum for another 15 years, in fact we're drafting up his next 2 contract extensions right now.

Like Sully said, I liked the way the team started the game. And you have to factor in, we're missing two of the coach's favorites right now in Harks and Big Jeff. So there you have it folks.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Can people just stop posting about things you've made up in your own head and project as Crosbys inner thoughts as if you know the guy and talk to him on a regular basis.

It's weird and impossible to discuss.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sid turned my wine into water and made a dead man stay dead.

Also, we should not be giving anyone a pass on tanking because this team is still not able to do it to the degree it needs to be done and we didn't move moveable assets to tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad