Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Finnish Defenseman Juuso Riikola

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I feel like this kid is going to shock us and actually look very good. From all the things I have seen and read about him...

His size isn't an issue with his defending.
He skates fantastically.
He has a wicked shot, albeit a slow wind-up though.
Good at joining the rush, but also good in his own end.

I think he's been putting it all together the last 2-3yrs and has finally shown enough to turn heads, I wonder how many other teams were in on him before he chose the Pens (and their insane lack of depth in that position) as his choice.

There any players that Rico compares to?
For me he kinda reminds me of Rafalski

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There any players that Rico compares to?
For me he kinda reminds me of Rafalski
Confidence will be key with him. He's getting used to the north american ice surface, he's stronger than he looks (has had board battles with Horny where Horny lost his cool, a taste of his own medicine), is solid in his end and he skates well and seems to like jumping up when he sees a pocket to do so.

Rafalski is a good comparison, but time will tell what he really is capable of. But I like his game, the guy isn't some freaking project player, he's a solid player back home, he was someone a few teams tried to go after but he chose the Pens.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think he can knock off one of the regulars and take a regular spot if he's given games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It got better this year with a short off-season. I think this will probably be the last chance at it though. If he doesn't take another step forward this off-season I won't expect any further improvements. I don't expect that much anyway though, if he could be even average that would be huge.

It didn't get better. For the fist 20 or so games, Olli looked like he was quicker, but to put it into perspective...we also looked a step slower so that skewed things.

In the pre-season, he looked every bit as slow as he normally did. There was no progress in that part of his game.

Like I said, this guy is Letang's replacement.

No. If anything, we could finally have a replacement for Daley.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We don't have a say, and therefore, I won't be surprised if he doesn't stay on the big Pens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn't score a point was +1, but recorded 6 hits, 3 blocked shots and had 1 SOG.
Any you Pens fans think he has earned his spot for your teams opening day roster?.

He's definitely earned the right to one but whether he'll get one due to roster construction remains to be seen.

Reading what the management say about him though, I think they're seriously considering it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just based on preseason viewings, Riikola looks like our 2nd best skating defenseman after Letang.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Didn't score a point was +1, but recorded 6 hits, 3 blocked shots and had 1 SOG.
Any you Pens fans think he has earned his spot for your teams opening day roster?.
this Pens fan does. i'd try him on the bottom pairing. the Pens may use him as a scratch for now though, which i disagree with. he's gotta be playing regularly IMO either on the NHL squad (would be my choice) or top 4 or something in the AHL squad.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Did he earn it? Yeah I'd say he did. Will he get it? Doubtful unless the Schultz injury is significant.

Riikola needs to play. He has looked great but he's still new to the Pen's system and NA hockey in general. He's going to have more of a chance to play in WBS, and doesn't have to clear waivers to go up/down. He isn't going to make the team to sit in the press box as the #7, he's going to make the team to play hockey.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Oleksiak - Johnson

Tell me who sits for him? Dumo and Letang are locked.

Maatta? Maybe, but the organization is still very high on him. Also wouldn't it be ironic that Riikola comes in and takes Ollie's job?
Schultz? He's too important to the Pens PP.

Johnson? We wouldn't healthy scratch our big offseason signing, especially when he left CBJ over being healthy scratched.
Oleksiak? He's the only physical defenseman we have. I guess this is also a possability if we aren't playing a physical team.

If Schultz is hurt long term, I could see them keeping Riikola up to take that spot till he returns. Otherwise we're going to have to wait for an injury (which will undoubtedly happen) to get him in the lineup.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Did he earn it? Yeah I'd say he did. Will he get it? Doubtful unless the Schultz injury is significant.

Riikola needs to play. He has looked great but he's still new to the Pen's system and NA hockey in general. He's going to have more of a chance to play in WBS, and doesn't have to clear waivers to go up/down. He isn't going to make the team to sit in the press box as the #7, he's going to make the team to play hockey.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Oleksiak - Johnson

Tell me who sits for him? Dumo and Letang are locked.

Maatta? Maybe, but the organization is still very high on him. Also wouldn't it be ironic that Riikola comes in and takes Ollie's job?
Schultz? He's too important to the Pens PP.

Johnson? We wouldn't healthy scratch our big offseason signing, especially when he left CBJ over being healthy scratched.
Oleksiak? He's the only physical defenseman we have. I guess this is also a possability if we aren't playing a physical team.

If Schultz is hurt long term, I could see them keeping Riikola up to take that spot till he returns. Otherwise we're going to have to wait for an injury (which will undoubtedly happen) to get him in the lineup.

Riikola looks like a much better player than Oleksiak, and even more physical.

I’m just not sure how they can justify sitting Riikola over him, when Oleksiak hasn’t really proven much more than that he’s a project in development still.

I guess if you want to go by salary then you play Big Rig, but if you want the best lineup no way Riikola shouldn’t be in there instead.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Based on merit, he should certainly be on the opening night roster. I know you have to be cautious basing much on a new player coming in and making a big splash at camp and preseason. But he's looked super comfortable in all aspects of the game and plays the way this team wants it's D to play, already. I think he probably even has some more to offer, too.

That doesn't mean they won't send him down, though. But at this point I think it wouldn't be "fair."

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Riikola looks like a much better player than Oleksiak, and even more physical.

I’m just not sure how they can justify sitting Riikola over him, when Oleksiak hasn’t really proven much more than that he’s a project in development still.

I guess if you want to go by salary then you play Big Rig, but if you want the best lineup no way Riikola shouldn’t be in there instead.

And yet we know who is likely going to be the 7th defenseman on opening night.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And yet we know who is likely going to be the 7th defenseman on opening night.

You are suppose to ice your best lineup, not do it according to pay scale.

Kind of annoying to keep reading some people mention how he needs time in the A like he’s some 20 year old kid out of juniors.

Now maybe he plays in the regular season and looks lost perhaps, but based on what he’s shown so far he makes this team immensely better.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Kind of annoying to keep reading some people mention how he needs time in the A like he’s some 20 year old kid out of juniors.

Now maybe he plays in the regular season and looks lost perhaps, but based on what he’s shown so far he makes this team immensely better.

Ya. He's got 5+ years of professional hockey under his belt and turns 25 in a month. And sure, you could use the "smaller rink" argument, but with the way he's already expertly using boards to his advantage, a smaller rink might actually suit his game even better.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't even know if it will be payscale that determines who plays. This team tends to have a hierarchy thing, where they'll opt for the returning player/veteran over the newcomer, and the newcomer will have to wait until injuries occur to make their way into the lineup.

I suppose Oleksiak's not exactly a tenured veteran, like the other guys on the blueline, but he's still got some time with the Pens in his favor over Riikola. So I could see the coaching staff going with Oleksiak, with Riikola only finding the ice if/when injuries hit.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But that seems to be their M.O.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll probably start Oleksiak over Riikola based on some BS about Riikola needing to adjust to NA ice and how they think Oleksiak has some huge upside. The team obviously likes him, but they have 6 better defenseman than him.

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't even know if it will be payscale that determines who plays. This team tends to have a hierarchy thing, where they'll opt for the returning player/veteran over the newcomer, and the newcomer will have to wait until injuries occur to make their way into the lineup.

I suppose Oleksiak's not exactly a tenured veteran, like the other guys on the blueline, but he's still got some time with the Pens in his favor over Riikola. So I could see the coaching staff going with Oleksiak, with Riikola only finding the ice if/when injuries hit.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But that seems to be their M.O.

Ya, I was going to put salary/seniority because sadly I think that’s what they will do.

When you have a guy like Riikola explode on the scene that seems to have everything you could possibly ask for to play in your system, you give him every chance to show if you just struck gold or not.

It’s going to be hard not seeing him in the lineup after witnessing the impact he has had on this team in the preseason. Going from watching Riikola to seeing him replaced by Big Rig will just annoy the f*** out of me.

It’s like someone taking away your favorite vehicle you love, then giving you a Cavalier to drive around.... and they insist it’s the better option, and pretend you aren’t bright enough to realize they are full of shit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s a complete waste of holding open competitions at training camp if a standout player in the camp can’t get a shot to begin the season just because of salary...it’s stupid...Pens are 10 times better right now playing Cough Drop than Olek....they lose nothing by playing him and if he shows some issues adjusting to the nhl, then send him down, no harm done....it’s not like the Pens are missing the POs by trying out a couple new players to start the season...that’s when you want to do it...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’d like them to say to Riikola that they will play him for the first 2 weeks and see how he does against better opponents. If he’s still doing well you gotta keep him up. If he struggles a little send him to WBS for a while.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yes. At this point I put him as a regular.

He's not afraid of the rough stuff, skates better than I thought and his offensive IQ is very impressive with the chances he takes. He's very much a Daley replacement to me for what Daley was for us (the good that Daley was).

I really hope he pushes a regular out that is making a lot so we can bank that cap space for something more.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we were going purely by preseason performance, I'd say Maatta would be the odd man out in favour of Riikola rather than Oleksiak anyway. Olli's been pretty brutal, but it'd take some sass to bench a guy signed long-term at 4 mil per.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just based on preseason viewings, Riikola looks like our 2nd best skating defenseman after Letang.

Laterally, yes.

Letang is far and away our best skater on D, second is Riikola only because he skates amazingly laterally and has that burst of speed that separates him from players and enables him to close gaps. Dumoulin is just smooth as f***.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad