Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Finnish Defenseman Juuso Riikola

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’ve been very busy lately, work has been crazy... bought a home... got a dog... Have had zero time to catch any preseason games. I’ve skimmed through the preseason threads and this thread but can anyone give me a positive and negative break down of this kid so far?

Reactions: ColePens and BHD

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Positive: can skate, can hit (along the boards), can pass pretty well, can get pucks on net, likely would be in the a 4/5 as a random, undrafted rookie on any other team RIGHT NOW
Negative: young, might hit a wall, it is only preseason, unlikely to start on the Pens roster only due to how many players we already have

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’ve been very busy lately, work has been crazy... bought a home... got a dog... Have had zero time to catch any preseason games. I’ve skimmed through the preseason threads and this thread but can anyone give me a positive and negative break down of this kid so far?

EightyOne said it pretty well, but a more abbreviated version would be:

Positives: Does Everything Well
Negatives: This might not be his true level of performance

If we were going purely by preseason performance, I'd say Maatta would be the odd man out in favour of Riikola rather than Oleksiak anyway. Olli's been pretty brutal, but it'd take some sass to bench a guy signed long-term at 4 mil per.

Maatta had a really good game with Johnson vs Buffalo - by far and away our best d pairing that day.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On balance this preseason, I'd say he was our worst defenseman, but YMMV.

Maybe (I disagree, but might be wrong) but brutal doesn't fit. Part of what makes this difficult at the moment is nobody's really making a case for themselves to be dropped in the normal course of things.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

Congrats on the milestones!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Congratulations on the home, friend. Was it your first-time home purchase?

For me, I'd say the run-down would be.

Positives:
-Good Skater
-Great shot, strong and accurate
-Strong player, despite his slightly smaller stature.
-Good positioning/gap control.
-24-years old, NHL-ready been playing pro since he was 19 years old.
-Cheap price tag
-Awesome name "Riiiiiiiiicollaaaaaaaaaa"

Negatives:
-Needs to adjust to North American ice and play-style.
-Pre-season not always indicates true talent level
-Can throw the body around, but he's not that big. (I don't consider this a negative totally, but some do)

I am somewhat partial to Scandinavian players, Fins in particular. I find that they often play a very balanced and smart game, typically good in all aspects without overly excelling in one thing in particular. That seems to be the case with Riikola so far.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Congratulations on the home, friend. Was it your first-time home purchase?

For me, I'd say the run-down would be.

Positives:
-Good Skater
-Great shot, strong and accurate
-Strong player, despite his slightly smaller stature.
-Good positioning/gap control.
-24-years old, NHL-ready been playing pro since he was 19 years old.
-Cheap price tag
-Awesome name "Riiiiiiiiicollaaaaaaaaaa"

Negatives:
-Needs to adjust to North American ice and play-style.
-Pre-season not always indicates true talent level
-Can throw the body around, but he's not that big. (I don't consider this a negative totally, but some do)

I am somewhat partial to Scandinavian players, Fins in particular. I find that they often play a very balanced and smart game, typically good in all aspects without overly excelling in one thing in particular. That seems to be the case with Riikola so far.
Thank you, yes I was first home. It made my soul hurt to sign a loan that big... But its a stepping stone for building what I want too.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Thank you, yes I was first home. It made my soul hurt to sign a loan that big... But its a stepping stone for building what I want too.
I'm happy for you buddy. I did the same last year, coming up on one year. The first time watching a Penguin game in your own home is going to be a special thing, I know it was for me.

The price-tag is tough, but at least you're investing in your own future rather than tossing money to some landlord

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Kind of crazy how much money a bank will give you if you ask, huh? I remember when I first got out on my own, my hands were shaking as I bought a TV for my apartment. Fast forward 9 years and I just sold my first home, bought a bigger one to have a family in. Cool as the backside of the pillow. Funny how time changes you.

lease.png

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'm happy for you buddy. I did the same last year, coming up on one year. The first time watching a Penguin game in your own home is going to be a special thing, I know it was for me.

The price-tag is tough, but at least you're investing in your own future rather than tossing money to some landlord
Well I have watched hundreds of Pens games in my home already. It is a condo, and I had been renting it for the past 5 years, the landloard just turned 90 and he was tired of renting out properties. So I just bought it off of him rather than deal with a new landlord or find another place to rent. So... I will be watching my first game as an owner, but ive watched many of a game a renter.

Reactions: Goku

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Kind of crazy how much money a bank will give you if you ask, huh? I remember when I first got out on my own, my hands were shaking as I bought a TV for my apartment. Fast forward 9 years and I just sold my first home, bought a bigger one to have a family in. Cool as the backside of the pillow. Funny how time changes you.

lease.png
Yea. I just sat there and stared at the number $334,000 for a few minitutes with a Pen in my hand wondering how I got in that position. :laugh:

I live in SoCal, so renting prices never go down. They never even stand still. They always go up. Always. Gotta love that sunshine tax. So me and my wife are planning on renting this one we just bought, and hopefully a couple of others before I retire and we go back East and having rentals out here just churning money to us.

And oh yea how time changes you. 9 years ago I was still chasing college girls all over Pittsburgh, bartending/waiting tables, and my biggest bill was my cell phone and was thinking I was loaded if my bank account ever tipped over $1,000 dollars. :laugh:

Reactions: That1Kid

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Not sure if it deserves it's own thread but I feel it does, move if needed. Wasn't able to catch all preseason games but can people who have seen a good bit of him give some notes on his preseason as a whole. I've seen the snippets people have written but nothing real in depth, I'm sorry if I've missed those

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot he has his own thread but maybe specifically to his preseason play might be a cool theset to have a conversation about

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He literally has no weaknesses as a player, and that's not an exaggeration. Even when you nitpick his game, you can't find a flaw. He's just an extremely smart player who's at least solid in every facet of the game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He literally has no weaknesses as a player, and that's not an exaggeration. Even when you nitpick his game, you can't find a flaw. He's just an extremely smart player who's at least solid in every facet of the game.

I feel like it is an exaggeration as he has yet to play a regular season game.

I really like him though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like it is an exaggeration as he has yet to play a regular season game.

I really like him though.

What's the exaggeration there? What problems do you see in his game? What areas in his game have shown to be less than solid? This has nothing to do with what games he's playing in, it's from watching him play.

I never said he's 100% a top-4 defenseman, I said that he doesn't have any weaknesses in his game. "Not having any weaknesses in his game" can range from a jack of all trades #5 who isn't particularly good at anything to Nick Lidstrom.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What's the exaggeration there? What problems do you see in his game? What areas in his game have shown to be less than solid? This has nothing to do with what games he's playing in, it's from watching him play.

I never said he's 100% a top-4 defenseman, I said that he doesn't have any weaknesses in his game. "Not having any weaknesses in his game" can range from a jack of all trades #5 who isn't particularly good at anything to Nick Lidstrom.

It was a hyperbolic comment.

That said, I suspect that IF he got a shot in the regular season, then I'd prefer him to Maatta or Oleksiak.

I also might prefer him to Letang on the PP. Thoughts @pixiesfanyo? :D

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It was a hyperbolic comment.

That said, I suspect that IF he got a shot in the regular season, then I'd prefer him to Maatta or Oleksiak.

I also might prefer him to Letang on the PP. Thoughts @pixiesfanyo? :D
You know how I feel about the PP. More simplicity which I think Riikola definitely adds.

He in my opinion is Maatta with skating. Nothing overly impressive, but solid all the way around. Which I think is what Empo was trying to say in typical Empo fashion.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know how I feel about the PP. More simplicity which I think Riikola definitely adds.

He in my opinion is Maatta with skating. Nothing overly impressive, but solid all the way around. Which I think is what Empo was trying to say in typical Empo fashion.

I haven't really watched him, but reading the descriptions and the stories, the name that comes to mind is Janne Laukkanen. Maybe a little more directly physical, although Laukkanen was hardly unwilling to engage physically.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I haven't really watched him, but reading the descriptions and the stories, the name that comes to mind is Janne Laukkanen. Maybe a little more directly physical, although Laukkanen was hardly unwilling to engage physically.

He’s that typical Finn D. Just steady as hell.

Hopefully the coaching staff give him a chance and don’t choose term and salary over play.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He’s that typical Finn D. Just steady as hell.

Hopefully the coaching staff give him a chance and don’t choose term and salary over play.

I think he's going to WBS and is recalled with the first injury.

The real question is what happens if he seizes the opportunity.

Frankly, IF he performs like we think he will when that opportunity arises, then I can see Maatta or Oleksiak being dealt (I honestly see Maatta as a square peg in a round hole because of his speed, and I'm not the fan of Oleksiak some are . . . the stylistic fit is decent, but his on ice awareness leaves a lot to be desired and he's not as physical as one would expect).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta getting traded for a winger seems inevitable

They don't have a hole at wing big enough to justify moving Maatta for a winger. I really don't think it's likely at all that Maatta gets moved, the organization seems to love him and they don't have any areas that need improved to the point of moving him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They don't have a hole at wing big enough to justify moving Maatta for a winger. I really don't think it's likely at all that Maatta gets moved, the organization seems to love him and they don't have any areas that need improved to the point of moving him.

They don't have a hole IF one of Simon/Simon seizes a spot and IF Phil fits for a sustained time as lines shake out with Geno-Hags or Brass-Rust.

I mean, IF you think about it, IF Riikola proves a legit top 6 defenseman, then it MAY be better to add a winger than to leave Maatta (or Oleksiak or Riikola) on the bench.

I suppose it boils down to where your faith lies . . . in Riikola being a steady top 6 defenseman OR in Simon/Sprong being a steady top 9 winger.

Reactions: That1Kid

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Might not be a bad bargaining chip for a new 3C if/when Brassard moves on next summer though.

Reactions: billybudd

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3