Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Finnish Defenseman Juuso Riikola

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I have it too. I mean at least it isn't dysentery.

the-oregon-trail.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not much not to like from what i've read here. Even if he doesn't make it on the second pair, a strong 3rd pair guy is very much welcome anyway!

I guess if he's sound 2 way he could at least temporarily patch upwards if needed, occasionnaly playing with an offensive *cough* dumbass Tanger *cough* for exemple.

...or we could just trade Letang, opens up many possibilities.
Or we move a guy that skates slower than Hal Gill at the end of a long shift for a defenseman that can actually move and play well. Sorry Olli, peace out.

Reactions: EightyOne

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
The fact that Deryk Engelland of all people has vastly improved his stride and speed, that someone with better hockey IQ and talent, would be able to do the same and Olli has no knee or hip or any leg issues at all so you can stand to reason that he just doesn't seem to be able to really fix something like that the way he can correct his shot or anything else.

From what I can see of Olli, his stride isn't bad, it just lacks any kind of power, that comes from his quads and he doesn't have any explosive first step or even third step when he gets into gear, he really has no gear. Well that's wrong. It's slow, and not too slow, then ok maybe we can call this average as his 3 gears.
Olli's stride is horrible, his first step is horrible. Too bad we can give him Letang's feet... combine the 2 and you've got Lidstrom.
As for the bolded, explosiveness comes from the glutes and ankles.

I hope this kids good. It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the faster game on NA ice.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yep. Would love it if they could move back into the first round somehow. Doubt they have the combination of picks to make it happen, though.

I'd have thought the 2nd and Ottawa's 3rd could do it. The odds of getting a good player are about the same (arguably the two picks is better) and I could see a team who doesn't love the next 10 picks still on the board going for it.

Tbh, for that reason, I kinda hope we don't, not unless we see a chance to get a big faller.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Or we move a guy that skates slower than Hal Gill at the end of a long shift for a defenseman that can actually move and play well. Sorry Olli, peace out.
His story is a sad story, i'm still wondering if his illness destroyed his boinkitude (hey neologism!), i mean, the guy starts so slowly that you have to wonder if his energy link has been f***ed forever.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
:sarcasm:
.... Riikola won't fix Letang but he may help soothe that nasty cough
HAHAHA!!! Good one! You sure got me there.

Oh man Juuso will never escape these jokes but hey, they're funny.

ex. ...he has a bad game, it Juuso happens that he didn't have his Riikola that night.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
you would think the team would get him a skating coach/trainer to work with him in the offseason.
I still don't know why there isn't a full time skating coach with the Pens. If that's our identity, we should commit to it and explore every advantage. Ollie could sure use the one on one time, and imagine the cumulative effect of 3/4 of the team slightly improving their skating.

Reactions: Hornqvists Glasses

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His story is a sad story, i'm still wondering if his illness destroyed his boinkitude (hey neologism!), i mean, the guy starts so slowly that you have to wonder if his energy link has been ****ed forever.

Even if you had energy level issues you'd still be quicker for a duration of your shift until you're not. Olli was never fast. He was just smart with positioning. Then the game got faster and that was thanks to his team no less, creating a new trend. Olli just never adapted and to say his illness and whatever else is a problem is kind of a strawman excuse for him.

He's entering his 6th (technically 5th given that 20 game season he had) year professionally as a Penguin. He should have figured it out by now that he needed to get faster 4 seasons ago.

I like the kid. I love his attitude and that he trains as hard as anyone on the team and is a somewhat mature kid. But there is a major problem with him not being a good fit on the team because he's slow. He's the slowest skating defenseman on the team, 100%.

I think Letang is movable even if he doesn't get better next year, definitely think he can be moved. But Olli needs to go this off season. That's just a non starter for me for seeing him in camp next season. Move on. I absolutely like the kid but man you gotta look at fit and he just is not a fit. He might thrive in the west though. There's a lot of teams that still have a heavier slower paced style that is successful.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I haven’t been this excited since we signed plotnikov
That’s Gagarin Cup Champion Sergei Plotnikov to you! :sarcasm:

I’m actually estatic with this signing, especially for free. Maybe he can teach Olli how to actually use his body. Not even hit-wise, just positionally speaking. A dman who can (allegedly) shoot and skate and pass and play good defense? Who wouldn’t be estatic?

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I still don't know why there isn't a full time skating coach with the Pens. If that's our identity, we should commit to it and explore every advantage. Ollie could sure use the one on one time, and imagine the cumulative effect of 3/4 of the team slightly improving their skating.

They do have full time skating and skills coaches.

With that’s said, there isn’t much a player can do at this point to improve skating. These players had access to the best skating coaches in the world long before they played an NHL game.

Really, OM skating is not the prettiest but it’s average. It’s his explosiveness and first three strides that are lacking - that gets addressed in the weight room. However, a players body is a players body and everyone has their limits. I’m sure he’s worked on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badfish87

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Only one thing you can do when you trade your draft picks. Nice pick up.

Reactions: BHD

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Neat-o. Hope he can be a 3rd pair guy next year so we can dump Hunwick and have our 5-7 done.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Even if hes just a depth guy thats an improvement, and cheaper. I bet he starts in WBS, but hopefully he comes up full time at some point in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->