Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Teh offseason! All your defense are belong to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think he would easily be a 40-50 point guy in the top 6 here if he played a full season.

He was playing with Rem Pitlick, Jake Evans, Dvorak, Hoffman, Suzuki and Caulfield last year

I believe he gets better line-mates here but yes pretty big contract that I dont think I would like to pay.

Lets get Drouin lol
Let's dump Zucker, trade Marino and a pick (if necessary) for Miller and actually go after a Cup instead of pretending. Then you use the surplus cap to shore up the bottom 6. Seal that Larsson deal. He alone may end up doing more for the team than Zucker, who had 17 points last year and has major health question marks moving forward.
Larsson is one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL the last 4 years.

If we fail, at least we gave ourselves a bloody chance.

The idea is to be able to beat Colorado in a series. They are the bar right now. We have to get as close to that bar as possible.
Miller is the best way to achieve that imo. So if FSG is serious about this year...try?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's f***ing comical that they are over the cap. If they didn't waste a single f***ing cent on Architurd, they would still need to trade someone but still be under the cap while figuring it out.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Am I the only person who thinks that maybe it's time for Geno to be moved to wing? Put Geno and Rakell with Sid. Bump Rust and Guentzel down. Trade for a 2C and let him mesh with those two.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Let's dump Zucker, trade Marino and a pick (if necessary) for Miller and actually go after a Cup instead of pretending. Then you use the surplus cap to shore up the bottom 6. Seal that Larsson deal. He alone may end up doing more for the team than Zucker, who had 17 points last year and has major health question marks moving forward.
Larsson is one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL the last 4 years.

If we fail, at least we gave ourselves a bloody chance.

The idea is to be able to beat Colorado in a series. They are the bar right now. We have to get as close to that bar as possible.
Miller is the best way to achieve that imo. So if FSG is serious about this year...try?
I am all for getting JT Miller. He fits this team need wise more than any player out there in FA (even the ones already signed)

Alvin/GMJR really like Marino from what I understand and they are looking for D. I think something could be done but I also think they want to see what the offers are. Kadri signs and the star C guys are pretty much down to nothing so more desperate offers may come in.

The greedy person in me would like to Keep Zucker and get JT Miller b/c keeping all those pieces makes up one of the deepest teams out there.

It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't understand why anyone would want to keep Zucker. Truly.
I believe if healthy he can definitely help this team. Call it bad luck/soft whatever.

I know its not saying much but he has played well for us when it mattered.

If we can move him and free up some space and use that cap sure.

If he's just a dump and we lose him for nothing why bother

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Am I the only person who thinks that maybe it's time for Geno to be moved to wing? Put Geno and Rakell with Sid. Bump Rust and Guentzel down. Trade for a 2C and let him mesh with those two.

I was an am still of the opinion that we need to add a C/W to this mixture. Either now, at the deadline, or once Zucker comes off the books next offseason.

I think Geno may be best suited with Sid in a secondary role right now. Where he can play off the puck, get lost in coverage and get a lot more time/space to make plays. And/or be the lead creator of a 2nd line but not the main worker bee in our own zone.

At the very least I think Geno/Sid should be playing together full-time by '23-'24 and so we'll need a 2C then.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I mean I’d sign Kadri I guess :P

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't understand why anyone would want to keep Zucker. Truly.

1. It would be prohibitively expensive to trade him and get out of his deal, when his deal expires next year and you can just use the cap space next year.
2. He's one of the only guys who has shown a pulse in the playoffs in the past few years, he has 7 points in 15 playoff games (which isn't anything amazing but it's not bad at all).

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Damn Washington got Dylan Strome? Strome and Brown for cheap is decent work there.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If we held onto Zucker and then tried to upgrade on him at the deadline, do you think his NTC would be a hindrance to a seller - who hypothetically wouldn't care about the cap space?

Like okay, we trade Zucker, Pickering and a 1st to a selling team for a premium winger in February. Zucker doesn't waive. Could the acquiring team just be like "oh cool, we just wanted the assets. You can stay home dude."?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
FXkMwjSXwAEukwB

4 x 4.5 mil. It coulda been us.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: Jacob

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1. It would be prohibitively expensive to trade him and get out of his deal, when his deal expires next year and you can just use the cap space next year.
2. He's one of the only guys who has shown a pulse in the playoffs in the past few years, he has 7 points in 15 playoff games (which isn't anything amazing but it's not bad at all).
Would it though?

Trading any pick save a 1st would be worth it. This team needs to maximize its chances the next couple years,, and Zucker making 5.5 mil per limits the Pens' options.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
FXkMwjSXwAEukwB

4 x 4.5 mil. It coulda been us.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow, he was like an 18th percentile player in '20-'21 and a 95th percentile player in '21-'22. At this rate he'll be a 172nd percentile player in '22-'23!

That's how stats work! JK, JK - extrapolation versus interpolation. I'm sure last November he was a 25th percentile player and last January he was a 50th percentile player and last March he was a 75th percentile player. That's what the line means :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would it though?

Trading any pick save a 1st would be worth it. This team needs to maximize its chances the next couple years,, and Zucker making 5.5 mil per limits the Pens' options.

The Flyers, a notoriously reactionary organization, refuse to pay the cost to get out of JVR's contract even though it would have likely landed them Gaudreau.

Feel free to say "the Flyers are a tirefire organization run by clowns", because they are, but I'm fully confident they would have instantly traded JVR if the cost wasn't prohibitive. The fact that they refused to do it, when they are the type of organization who has never been hesitant to do that, tells me it's too expensive.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The Flyers, a notoriously reactionary organization, refuse to pay the cost to get out of JVR's contract even though it would have likely landed them Gaudreau.

Feel free to say "the Flyers are a tirefire organization run by clowns", because they are, but I'm fully confident they would have instantly traded JVR if the cost wasn't prohibitive. The fact that they refused to do it, when they are the type of organization who has never been hesitant to do that, tells me it's too expensive.
The Flyers are a clown show...but Gaudreau made it pretty clear he chose Columbus for his family/lifestyle. I don't think the Flyers had a chance barring something insane.

Similar to when the Jackets offered Panarin a shit ton but he chose NYR for his lifestyle.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I forget, what dumbass signed JVR???

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Flyers are a clown show...but Gaudreau made it pretty clear he chose Columbus for his family/lifestyle. I don't think the Flyers had a chance barring something insane.

Similar to when the Jackets offered Panarin a shit ton but he chose NYR for his lifestyle.

The Flyers were his favorite team growing up and it seemed like an absolute that he was going to sign in Philly if they made the cap space for him. The problem was that they didn't make the cap space for him.

Forward Johnny Gaudreau is happy playing for the Calgary Flames but said Friday he would someday welcome a chance to play for the Philadelphia Flyers. Gaudreau, who grew up a Flyers fan in Salem, New Jersey, about 40 miles south of Philadelphia, said so during an interview with WIP radio in Philadelphia.

"I have a ton of family here, all my friends," the 23-year-old said. "I actually have a wedding this weekend in South Jersey, and all my friends come back here. All my good friends and kids who I have played with all my life are from South Jersey, so it would be sweet to play here someday.

"You never know in sports. It's a lot of support back here in South Jersey and the Philly area, they follow me pretty well."

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Philly really lost out on Gaudreau at $9.8M AAV because they weren't willing to buy out or trade a 1st to get out of JVR's contract, they goofed up.

Similar to us, acquiring Miller/signing Palat and buying out Zucker. Except in our case it's dumber because with each passing year our odds get slimmer, and we're deliberately short-changing ourselves on top six wing because we feel admitting this player is negative value is distateful.

Reactions: Pens x

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We could, but how many centers are out there that are better than he is? Not many. Also, Carter needs to be on the wing and not at center as well. Cant have all our centers playing wing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah at least part time. Thornton did a thing in SJ later in his career where he took faceoffs but assumed winger duties in the D zone. Might work for Geno.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Wow, he was like an 18th percentile player in '20-'21 and a 95th percentile player in '21-'22. At this rate he'll be a 172nd percentile player in '22-'23!

That's how stats work! JK, JK - extrapolation versus interpolation. I'm sure last November he was a 25th percentile player and last January he was a 50th percentile player and last March he was a 75th percentile player. That's what the line means :D
1657859484736.png

You sure it's a good idea to pass, considering we need a 2LW?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I was all for signing Trocheck and putting Geno on his wing. Or:

Jake-Sid-Malkin
Rakell-Trocheck-Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad