Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Teh offseason! All your defense are belong to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I agree, I love going back to the cities. It's some of the best food/culture your going to get and the media definitely glorifies a lot of the issues because it's always about the ratings, which unfortunately many can't distinguish that and automatically assume a black mark on the people/culture.

That being said I wouldn't want to move my family close to any large city at current times and that's a personal preference and I am sure many feel the same way.

Personally, I'm more of a mid-major city guy. Grew up around Portland. Love visiting Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlotte. Those places are more my speed than the "alpha world cities" in terms of size and pace of life. For example, love to visit NYC, but I could never stick it out there bc the enormity of the place just kind of messes with my head. But for some of the same reasons mentioned in this thread, I'd never want to raise my family too far from a major city. The different types of people, access to varied food, culture, etc, that stuff is important in its own way to my own sense of values. To me, its a living embodiment of "e plurbus unum" when a bunch of people of different classes, backgrounds, experiences, etc, put in the work to get along and compromise on different interests for the general good....all because they prefer to do all that work than not live in that place.

Like you said, its a preference thing. To each their own, and there is no right answer that serves everyone. Part of the great thing about living in a free society, its infinite diversity in infinate combinations (TM Star Trek) when you think of all the the different ways people live their lives.

The way people allow themselves to be deliberately divided by fear when 90% of us are all in the same boat is one of the sadder things I've watched in my lifetime. It's a grifter's dream. Though I suspect it's always been this way to a large degree. But the megaphone has exponentially increased in size in the modern age. I dunno... I sound like some faux-deep hipster. I just wanted to say you hit it on the head.
Agreed on every note. I also cant tell if its a uniquely stupid moment in our history or if its always been this way in various forms. The 60s, for example, was violent, divisive, and plenty of people thought we were being led to the path of destruction. But yeah, the internet has amplified it 100 fold, and made it so that the grift game is easier than ever.

But like you said, its a grifters dream. The same people who try to draw lines between "real Americans" and "the coastal elites" are taking limos back to manhattan penthouses or palatial mansions, and summering at the hamptons. All of it paid for by the cash and attention of people who dont have much of either to spare, but for whom grievance and anger have become a defining characteristic. Fifty years ago I feel like all that mental energy was devoted to gardening, or bowling leagues, or 4H or something. I feel like that void has left people desperate for belonging and tribalism they dont feel anymore. Is it any wonder the enemies of the west dont attack us directly, but just pose as facebook-bound culture warriors and let us do the fighting with ourselves?

Edit: I'm way f***ing off topic, lol, apologies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I dunno. My eyes said that Geno/Sid didn't put anything away but created some pressure/momentum. I think that was mostly done to help get Malkin going and to perhaps let him play with linemates that didn't have giant hamhocks for hands here and there. So I wouldn't look for that to be tried again much.

But yeah Tang/Math... good reasons to keep them apart but I thought they had some pretty interesting moments. Likely not enough to build anything sustainable on, though.
I like Math-Tang as a change of rhythm pairing for if you're chasing a goal, or a pairing is slumping. I am also genuinely curious as to just how much responsibility you can stick on Matheson as he improves. He was fantastic last season and a guy you wanted on the ice, and that led him to playing some higher responsibility minutes with Letang and Marino. The results of those were just dandy. If he can repeat that, maybe become a legit two-way guy who can handle a second pairing defensively while attacking like a 1D, that's a big advantage.

Checking the stats says you're correct about Sid and Geno so I'll hope to see it tried again.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Some of the Sens fans on the trade board talking up Alex Formenton as a possible base to trade with Marino (A base only, it seems like they'd add more)

Must say, I dont know jack about the guy and havent seen much of the Sens recently, but numbers look pretty impressive for someone his age. Flash in the pan or a potential star in the making?

Also, what about Mattias Janmark for the bottom 6? Once some money is cleared, of course, and depending on what he's looking for, but versatile and decent points totals with a bit of size? Apologies if someone already mentioned the guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Some of the Sens fans on the trade board talking up Alex Formenton as a possible base to trade with Marino (A base only, it seems like they'd add more)

Must say, I dont know jack about the guy and havent seen much of the Sens recently, but numbers look pretty impressive for someone his age. Flash in the pan or a potential star in the making?

Also, what about Mattias Janmark for the bottom 6? Once some money is cleared, of course, and depending on what he's looking for, but versatile and decent points totals with a bit of size? Apologies if someone already mentioned the guy.
Formenton could be something or could be more of the above. He could also be one of the 8 guys under investigation for the 2018 JWC scandal, so would probably dodge that.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Idk.. We shouldn't be moving Marino. He was extremely solid in the playoffs so we know he is maturing into that top 4 role going into next year.

Move Petterson and trade Ruhwedel for future considerations

Reactions: Dominance

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Won't miss him.

Don't even remember him playing for the Penguins this past year.
Do you remember Dom Simon’s 55 games last year?

Idk.. We shouldn't be moving Marino. He was extremely solid in the playoffs so we know he is maturing into that top 4 role going into next year.

Ruh would fetch us a new pillow for Hextall, best case.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
So Johnny "Avoids Pressure" Hockey chose the shittiest place to play without even getting the best salary he could have for a team that has a shit future.

Lol

@Zirakzigil is mourning right now and here we are, making fun of Johnny "Avoids Pressure" Hockey, joining the sweaty taint of the East.
Just pisses me off because I want the Flames to be good. Why? Because its the local team and the Oilers can go suck a hat. When the Flames are good it makes me want to actually go to games and enjoy live hockey.

JG was an idiot. Went from a contender to a rebuilding team who is going nowhere for the next few years. And he took 20mil in the process.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

There is a Ranger fan on the trade board that swears up and down that Marino is no better than Ruh or Friedman, and will say it every damn time his name comes up. Not even in a trolly way.

And since there is like a new 30 page Canucks rumor thread every other day, it comes up alot. Jesus, their fans love to speculate. Doesnt help that an "insider" is putting out a new tweet every time a Nucks player so much as farts.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
For a prolific forward Ala Miller otherwise Marino stays

I'll support whatever they do (meaning Marino for Miller). But I'm not going to pretend that I think it's a better move trading our 2nd RD. I don't think signing Rutta means it makes Mario expendable.

I also think Marino may net more in a trade 4 years from now when the team is in rebuild. He's already trending up and He'll be developed by then. That may net us a 1st round pick as a base .

There is a Ranger fan on the trade board that swears up and down that Marino is no better than Ruh or Friedman, and will say it every damn time his name comes up. Not even in a trolly way.

I'm sure he likes the spicy pork signing lol

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Continue:

c97.jpg

bingo-geno.gif

Reactions: Freeptop

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I would vote Nay to a Marino Miller trade.

A couple reasons is weakens our D especially the right side. Rutta is not a Marino replacement imo.

Marino ended the season/playoff on a good note so I expect his maturity to carry over next year and this relates to my first point.

I do agree with trading Marino but 4 years from now when the team bottoms out. He will hit his ceiling by then and probably net us more draft capital for our rebuild.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking of Marino trades, the rumors among some people, when Friedman commented that there was talk of him being traded to another team that’s not VAN, was that the Pens are waiting for MTL to trade Petry. Once that happens there is an agreement to trade Marino for Josh Anderson…just saying thats the scuttlebutt out there…I can see the appeal of a Josh Anderson power forward type for the Pens…the problem is that he’s just not that good of a player or consistent and he doesn’t bring his power game night after night…he disappears…taking on his $5+ M salary for a million years would be dumb…much rather trade Marino for one year of Miller lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would the Penguins trade Marino for Josh Anderson when they need to trade a defenseman to clear cap space?

Just trade Pettersson for cap space and forget about adding another winger for Malkin. Go into the year with Zucker-Malkin-Rakell, see how it does and then make a move if you need to at the deadline. Zucker is a pending UFA after this season, adding a top-6 winger in free agency next year would be dramatically easier than adding one now.

The defense looks great if they trade Pettersson. The top-6, even with Zucker there, is the best it has been in years. Even if Zucker doesn't work in the top-6, you have Kapanen as a fallback option and you should be adding another Heinen type of 3rd liner who could be another option as well.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Speaking of Marino trades, the rumors among some people, when Friedman commented that there was talk of him being traded to another team that’s not VAN, was that the Pens are waiting for MTL to trade Petry. Once that happens there is an agreement to trade Marino for Josh Anderson…just saying thats the scuttlebutt out there…I can see the appeal of a Josh Anderson power forward type for the Pens…the problem is that he’s just not that good of a player or consistent and he doesn’t bring his power game night after night…he disappears…taking on his $5+ M salary for a million years would be dumb…much rather trade Marino for one year of Miller lol
Yeah, the Anderson contract is a bit yuck. Like the player though.

Reactions: Andy99

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Why would the Penguins trade Marino for Josh Anderson when they need to trade a defenseman to clear cap space?

Just trade Pettersson for cap space and forget about adding another winger for Malkin. Go into the year with Zucker-Malkin-Rakell, see how it does and then make a move if you need to at the deadline. Zucker is a pending UFA after this season, adding a top-6 winger in free agency next year would be dramatically easier than adding one now.

The defense looks great if they trade Pettersson. The top-6, even with Zucker there, is the best it has been in years. Even if Zucker doesn't work in the top-6, you have Kapanen as a fallback option and you should be adding another Heinen type of 3rd liner who could be another option as well.
Why not both? Pens need to trade at least 2 defensemen away. We could in theory trade Petts, Marino and Kap for cap space and a top 6 winger.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not both? Pens need to trade at least 2 defensemen away. We could in theory trade Petts, Marino and Kap for cap space and a top 6 winger.

The defense minus Marino and Pettersson makes me want to projective vomit.

Gutting the defense to get a marginally better option than Zucker for the 2nd line is just something I can't support. You're not going to die because your 2nd line has one of Kapanen or Zucker on it.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Anderson is intriguing because he’d be unique among our forward group.

Wouldn’t want to lose Marino for that contract though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yea, it’s not like we have a half dozen decade long contracts here. He will fit in great.

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I would vote Nay to a Marino Miller trade.

A couple reasons is weakens our D especially the right side. Rutta is not a Marino replacement imo.

Marino ended the season/playoff on a good note so I expect his maturity to carry over next year and this relates to my first point.

I do agree with trading Marino but 4 years from now when the team bottoms out. He will hit his ceiling by then and probably net us more draft capital for our rebuild.
I somewhat agree but you got to give to get and the difference between JT Miller and Marino for this team easily weighs towards Miller imo.

He would be one of the better FA pickups or players alone this team has grabbed in a long time.

Love Marino but I would look to find someone thru TDL or pick to replace him and even if we couldn't I would find a way to make it work.

Reactions: Night Shift

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The defense minus Marino and Pettersson makes me want to projective vomit.

Gutting the defense to get a marginally better option than Zucker for the 2nd line is just something I can't support. You're not going to die because your 2nd line has one of Kapanen or Zucker on it.
You die when Zucker is constantly hurt and Kap is awful.

• Wow
Reactions: Factorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad