Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Teh offseason! All your defense are belong to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yes we'd only keep him for one year. But it's a legit cup chance year if he comes. Might not have one of those for a good 10-15 years, starting soon.
And people are assuming Marino will continue to play well like last year/playoffs, which is far from guaranteed.
I'm would hope he would be a trade and sign commitment

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm would hope he would be a trade and sign commitment

I wouldn't do it if it wasn't. Maybe he's waiting to see what Kadri signs for but 7 year x$8M is fine by me as a starting point in negotiations. It easily works in our cap structure and the only valuable player it potentially costs us is Jarry.

Reactions: jmelm

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why does anyone care about the Pens throwing a shitload of term at JT Miller? Everyone else signed this off-season has gotten one or two more years extra. I doubt Geno plays the 4th season, I doubt Letang plays the 6th, maybe even the 5th. Archibald got a year more than he should've. Rutta got two extra years. :laugh:

If the team's gonna keep playing pretend, at least act the part. Throw what you gotta at someone significant for the top-6 and sort out the bullshit like "Oh know who is gonna play on the blueline now that [nondescript boring unexceptional yet expensive player] is gone?!"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
maybe if we acquire people who area always hurt it'll confuse the curse and they'll always be healthy. Hell, let's acquire Hossa and see if we can cure his skin disease.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Never really got the Anderson stuff. Dude's expensive, injury-prone, and isn't even all that good...? :laugh:

Y'know, now that I type it out, I can understand why Pens fans are attracted to the player. Feels like home. A warm blanket and a nice cup of spiced chai.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We'll just have to pay a huge price to acquire then commit years and millions to finding out.
tumblr_o64xyjag7W1rihez4o1_400.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Looking at this in further detail, Hornqvist did not have control of this ball. It looks cooler because it implies that he can actually spin the ball on his hand basketball style. In reality that thing had 6-8 rotations max before it was going down.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Most GMs don’t know anything about the players. They just base their desire to acquire a player based on girth and how well that player has performed against their team in recent games.

Source: me, former GM

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Always liked Anderson's potential but his injury history just spells Pittsburgh Penguin. He brings size and skill that you cant teach

I know many injuries are freak incidents but this scares me and I feel like he would fall getting off the plane

For Petts though I think I would do it, Marino-Negative, but that doesn't work salary wise either

2022-01-16 Missed 11 games (upper body injury).
2021-12-03 Upper body injury, injured reserve.
2020-21
2021-05-20 Missed the last regular season game (undisclosed).
2021-05-12 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2021-03-06 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
2021-02-27 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2019-20
2020-10-08 Signed by the Montreal Canadiens to a seven-year contract extension.
2020-10-06 Acquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets
2020-10-05 Columbus Blue Jackets tendered a qualifying offer.
2020-08-19 Missed the last 38 regular season and all 10 playoff games (shoulder injury).
2019-12-17 Shoulder injury, injured reserve.
2019-12-16 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2019-10-21 Missed 6 games (upper body injury).
2019-10-11 Upper body injury, injured reserve.
2019-10-07 Upper body injury, day-to-day.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Always liked Anderson's potential but his injury history just spells Pittsburgh Penguin. He brings size and skill that you cant teach

I know many injuries are freak incidents but this scares me and I feel like he would fall getting off the plane

For Petts though I think I would do it, Marino-Negative, but that doesn't work salary wise either

2022-01-16Missed 11 games (upper body injury).
2021-12-03Upper body injury, injured reserve.
2020-21
2021-05-20Missed the last regular season game (undisclosed).
2021-05-12Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2021-03-06Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
2021-02-27Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2019-20
2020-10-08Signed by the Montreal Canadiens to a seven-year contract extension.
2020-10-06Acquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets
2020-10-05Columbus Blue Jackets tendered a qualifying offer.
2020-08-19Missed the last 38 regular season and all 10 playoff games (shoulder injury).
2019-12-17Shoulder injury, injured reserve.
2019-12-16Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2019-10-21Missed 6 games (upper body injury).
2019-10-11Upper body injury, injured reserve.
2019-10-07Upper body injury, day-to-day.
He would score 30-35 points here. We would pay him 5.5 x 5 years.

Reactions: Pens x

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Free agency has been a giant let down thus far after sleepy made some decent re-signings. Though, it takes two to tango, and fans here seem to only credit Sleepy for the big 3 taking discounts.

Hopefully, Sully isn’t close to being done. I’m sure he needs to take a week off after working so hard for a solid week heading into free agency.

I still hate the Archibald signing. The kool aid gang can pretend he won’t play every game, but he will.
Can you just give it a little more time? Right now it might not be going the way you want it to, Hextall did a damn good job of getting everybody back in the fold. Clearly we need another wing or upgrade at forward to push someone else down in the lineup. we have to move a defenseman let's see what our fearless leader Hextall has up his sleeve before we get out the pitchforks and the Torches. I implore you to be patient

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I wonder who that mystery (Not Canucks) team was Friedman referenced was close to a Marino trade?

I’d personally love Anderson here, but definitely not for Marino. PLUS his contract sucks ass considering we’ve saved so much on cap elsewhere. But just for fun, maybe for Petts+Blueger? Montreal gets their Danault replacement.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Rakell-Malkin-Anderson
Zucker-Carter-McGinn
Zohorna-Larsson-DOC
Archibald/Big Puusy

Dumo-Letang
Math-Marino
POJ-Rutta
Fried/Ruh

Jarry
CDS
Think it's Ottawa. They have a ton of great young forwards but their defense is abysmal and they're looking to upgrade there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The elephant in the room about Miller is hes a UFA next summer. Hes going to want a long term contract in the 7+ mil range or more. Yeah hes great for 5mil right now, but what about next contract?
If we get Miller our top six can match up with pretty much anyone. We can figure out the rest later but at least for the next season or two I really like our top six if we were fortunate to somehow get Miller here via trade. The best thing would be is a sign and trade. But one step at a time. And don't forget zucker comes off the books next year while every other key cog is signed except Tristan j a r r y

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Anderson's contract makes it a big no no. Not a chance, a brutal contract going forward

Like I said earlier, I prefer getting picks and prospects for Marino and seeing what's available once the season starts and make a move then. No rush, we are ok to start the season

Think it's Ottawa. They have a ton of great young forwards but their defense is abysmal and they're looking to upgrade there.

Agreed, Ottawa would make great trading partners

Reactions: Peat

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If we get Miller our top six can match up with pretty much anyone. We can figure out the rest later but at least for the next season or two I really like our top six if we were fortunate to somehow get Miller here via trade. The best thing would be is a sign and trade. But one step at a time. And don't forget zucker comes off the books next year while every other key cog is signed except Tristan j a r r y
Doesnt matter when we cant stop a beachball defensively and are soft as charmin toilet paper. Im fine with shipping out excess defensemen in exchange for a top 6 upgrade. Im not fine on blowing assets on a 1 year rental top 6 upgrade however.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

i dont think we’re going to pry a good player from them if that’s the trading partner…I think we’d strictly get a draft pick…in that case, trade Petts…

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Doesnt matter when we cant stop a beachball defensively and are soft as charmin toilet paper. Im fine with shipping out excess defensemen in exchange for a top 6 upgrade. Im not fine on blowing assets on a 1 year rental top 6 upgrade however.
Skilled guys are far harder to come by at the deadline then say a quality stay-at-home, sound, solid, positional Defender. They can be effective and they won't cost an arm and a leg to get if we would need an extra rear guard at the deadline. That can be remedied and resolved down the road. Getting a guy like Miller in the fold would be a huge get for this team in my opinion. Let's just see how everything plays out and hope for the best. And if it doesn't work out we can always blame pensx! he's normally to blame for everything that goes wrong around here.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He would score 30-35 points here. We would pay him 5.5 x 5 years.
I think he would easily be a 40-50 point guy in the top 6 here if he played a full season.

He was playing with Rem Pitlick, Jake Evans, Dvorak, Hoffman, Suzuki and Caulfield last year

I believe he gets better line-mates here but yes pretty big contract that I dont think I would like to pay.

Lets get Drouin lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad