Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: New year, all our defence are injured and I feel fiiinnnneee... Panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This front office and coaching staff don’t give AHL guys a shot unless the team is decimated with injuries.

See Puus

Wish I was.

Do you guys think the Pens may be thinking of trade with Hawks? The Penguins have had 2 scouts at each of the last two Hawk games

I keep coming back to Kurashev for some reason.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I genuinely dont understand the “we can’t trade our first round pick” camp because our coach and GM hate young players. Do you really trust this organization to develop young talent? Do you trust the front office and coaching staff would even play these guys? If so, would they play them more than 5 mins a game, handcuffed next some idiots?

Give me the guy that’s established - Sully can’t do irreparable farm if they are in their mid 20s; make sure they are North American though.

I’m not saying piss away the first rounder on a rental, but I hope they trade the first round pick for a guy with some years on their deal, mostly because whoever they draft will have tremendous hurdles to overcome to be a factor in this organization.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is who I see the Pens having interest in since they seem to be looking at LDs….Toews cost too much even at 50% retained and would be a difficult deal because they would need a third party….I don’t see Dumo being moved, or anyone having an interest in Kap…also don’t think they’d give up a first for McCabe….but who knows

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is who I see the Pens having interest in since they seem to be looking at LDs….Toews cost too much even at 50% retained and would be a difficult deal because they would need a third party….I don’t see Dumo being moved, or anyone having an interest in Kap…also don’t think they’d give up a first for McCabe….but who knows

If no other teams have an interest in Kap, can we officially declare it a bozo signing? People still say it’s a fair signing.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I assume Pens see nothing of Nylander to warrant NHL time?

What a bust he turned out to be
Nylander is a top 6 type player. There is no room currently to play him. Typically, AHL call ups need to be able to play defensively and in a bottom 6 role, per Sully. And that just isn't Nylander's game.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
You say we can't overhaul the entire 3rd line? Ba humbug you just aren't thinking creativity enough.

Carter (3.125x2), 1st 2023, Pickering for:

Meier @50% (3)

This assumes Carter is willing to go to San Jose. Considering he's signed in California before I think San Jose is one of the few destinations for him that he'd accept a trade to. And if he's being all mopey and "nobody is willing to talk about his poor performance" then get him TF out.

Kapanen (3.2x2), McGinn (2.75x3), Sam Poulin, 1st 2024, 2nd 2023 for:

ROR @50% (3.75) AND Barbashev (2.25)

Meier-ROR-Barbashev
DOC-Poehling-Archibald
Heinen

Then you just hope you an re-sign at least two of those three. Is this idea batshit insane? Yeah probably. But it would be fun to see the team just f***ing send it.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
You say we can't overhaul the entire 3rd line?
Meier @50% (3)
This assumes Carter is willing to go to San Jose.

Why is SJ retaining on what has to be not even close to the best offer they will get?

Also, SJ is NOT SoCal. It's the same state. But the vibe is not. So Carter/wife ain't gonna be thrilled with that.

No way STL does a solid like that for us.

Bat-shit, confirmed. Lol

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Why is SJ retaining on what has to be not even close to the best offer they will get?

Also, SJ is NOT SoCal. It's the same state. But the vibe is not. So Carter/wife ain't gonna be thrilled with that.

No way STL does a solid like that for us.

Bat-shit, confirmed. Lol
I understand that San Jose isn't SoCal, but if has an 8 team trade list (or a 23 team no trade list, however you want to look at it.) I think it's a relatively safe assumption San Jose is one of the places he'd be willing to go to. I actually thought that was the most reasonable part of this whole thing.

If SJ plays hardball you can throw in Alex Nylander in there too. Not like he will ever play on our top 6 so you might as well do right by the guy and give him an opportunity in the NHL elsewhere.

Also retaining 50% on a UFA really isn't a big deal. Especially in the case of ROR where his actual salary is only 1 mil this season. By the time the trade deadline hits how much of that is left to be paid out. Like 250k? It's only an issue when the player has term or a high salary.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You say we can't overhaul the entire 3rd line? Ba humbug you just aren't thinking creativity enough.

Meier @50% (3)

This assumes Carter is willing to go to San Jose. Considering he's signed in California before I think San Jose is one of the few destinations for him that he'd accept a trade to. And if he's being all mopey and "nobody is willing to talk about his poor performance" then get him TF out.

Meier-ROR-Barbashev
DOC-Poehling-Archibald
Heinen

Then you just hope you an re-sign at least two of those three. Is this idea batshit insane? Yeah probably. But it would be fun to see the team just f***ing send it.
You… acquired Meier (he’s gonna cost more than that) to put on a third line??

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My expectations are pretty rock bottom for this team's ownership/FO/coach so I'd be stoked if they were smart and proactive enough to ship out guys like Dumo and Blueger that have no clause protection, and if they fall out of the playoff race (don't think they will), to shop Zucker and deal him while he has some value.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's a name from NHL 94.
He’s been in and out with Sutter. I’d love to get him in on the Pens, barring the usual stupidity that is Mike Sullivan and his usage, he’s a talented young player that has the tools we need in a prospect/player. I think he’d really do well just away from Calgary at the moment.

My expectations are pretty rock bottom for this team's ownership/FO/coach so I'd be stoked if they were smart and proactive enough to ship out guys like Dumo and Blueger that have no clause protection, and if they fall out of the playoff race (don't think they will), to shop Zucker and deal him while he has some value.
The thing for me is that we have options to supplant either player within already on the roster.

You move Blueger - then you slide in Poehling into his spot.

You move Dumoulin - you have Smith ready for that spot to grow.

You move Heinen - Crosby’s crusty sock from 2003 has more sentient hockey IQ

So it’s not like the team would be struggling to find bodies if they just moved them to get something new before they hopefully walk away from Dumo and lose Blueger for nothing. The team also needs to just move or waive Ruhwedel. There is no way he should be even getting a single game over Friedman when Letang is back and when Rutta is back, it should be Friedman as the 7th.

Reactions: Night Shift

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I would love for the Pens to get Chychrun with Ritchie @50% for our 1st, Ty Smith and Kapanen. Chychrun solidifies our D for the next couple of years, the rest of our realistic window.

Reactions: Turin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Meier @50% (3)

Meier-ROR-Barbashev
DOC-Poehling-Archibald
Heinen

I don't think Carter waives for either of those destinations. If you could do mid-season buyouts like the NBA then I could see him accepting to be a free agent and see where he lands afterwards.

He may agree to just...not show up...at an acquiring team with the idea of getting bought out in the summer.

You could perhaps swap him out for Kapanen in the first trade. Other movable salaries include Dumoulin and Ruutta, especially if we like Friedman.

Also that second trade is kinda hemorrhaging value. We could be pretty bad next year, I would really prefer to hold onto the 2024 1st. Even the 2nd in 2023 looks pretty good. This board is lauding Barbashev and I don't doubt the scouting, but how much better would he really be than McGinn?

Finally, I notice that Blueger isn't in your proposed post trade bottom-6. In that case, I'd add him in these trades to make the salaries match. Blueger may be flippable to a team that wants a 4C.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
he Pens to get Chychrun with Ritchie @50% for our 1st, Ty Smith and Kapanen. Chychrun solidifies our D for the next couple of years, the rest of our realistic win
Doubt Arizona bites on that but yes, if he could stay healthy he's a number 2 two-way defenseman who is particularly good at scoring goals being paid about 60% of what he's worth.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
How about Boone Jenner? Hard nosed leader who pitches in scoring wise, can eat minutes against tough opposition and goes to the net. Fits the window for this and three more seasons. 3.75 cap-hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad