Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: New year, all our defence are injured and I feel fiiinnnneee... Panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Byfield is the type of prospect that could bring them a legitimate defender like Seth Jones for RyJo.

When the Jones-Johansen swap happened, Jones was already 2.5 years into playing in a top-4 role for the Predators and Johansen had the same amount of time as a 1C. Byfield really hasn't shown to be an effective NHLer yet.

Also can we not compare Byfield to every other black player ever? Why mention Iginla and Jones as comparables? :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When the Jones-Johansen swap happened, Jones was already 2.5 years into playing in a top-4 role for the Predators and Johansen had the same amount of time as a 1C. Byfield really hasn't shown to be an effective NHLer yet.

Also can we not compare Byfield to every other black player ever? Why mention Iginla and Jones as comparables? :laugh:

Lol they are just the type of deals that Byfield would be in reference too. He’s an insane talent to trade at 20.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My visceral reaction is that a lot of very high picks don't outright bust but they don't become stars. Yet because they didn't bust there's this perception that they could break out into something more that follows them around. Kirby Dach plays the same position as Byfield and also fits the bill of a big #1C, and yet the teams he's on haven't been good. He goes to Montreal and he's just a decent 2C.

A #2OA should be playing in the NHL 2.5 years after their draft year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol they are just the type of deals that Byfield would be in reference too. He’s an insane talent to trade at 20.

I mean I agree with this because I fully think Byfield is going to explode in the future. I just don't think you can assign him that value right now because you think he's going to be terrific in the future. I think Arizona wants Byfield because of that upside, but you can't just demand that value of return based on that upside for a player who hasn't really shown it yet.

I'd easily value Byfield at more than what Dach brought back last year (mid 1st and early 3rd). But I also think that plus a late 1st for Chychrun isn't all that unreasonable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean I agree with this because I fully think Byfield is going to explode in the future. I just don't think you can assign him that value right now because you think he's going to be terrific in the future. I think Arizona wants Byfield because of that upside, but you can't just demand that value of return based on that upside for a player who hasn't really shown it yet.

I'd easily value Byfield at more than what Dach brought back last year (mid 1st and early 3rd). But I also think that plus a late 1st for Chychrun isn't all that unreasonable.

It would be wild to me for LA to move their best prospect and additional pieces for a player that’s not even top 20 at his position.

Clarke would make a ton of sense as the focal prospect. Byfield is just insane. Especially given the aging center core they have and lack of center prospects.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Byfield is a 2nd overall draft who has a ton of pedigree.

Moving him is how you give away a player like Iginla.
Yeah. I don’t think a lot of these blokes know Byfield and the situation in LA. He’s a talent and not just some ok talent he has serious pedigree. If Coyotes did nab him, they better figure it the f*** out with development because they have botched a lot more than ones they made work. Sucks for QB. Deserves better.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Byfield is a top ten prospect in the league. He’s not a borderline blue chip prospect as you said earlier.
Nah there are enough question marks in his game that him being a number 1 C is not a guarantee. Which is what blue chip would imply. Top 10 in terms of pedigree and potential and therefor value? Sure I buy it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I think he has some Iginla potentials, but I also see Dawes and Chris Stewart as well in that he may never reach that ceiling when rounding out his game.

Have we considered Kevin Weekes?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
But then again…if Byfield is flanked by Keller and Schmaltz as their top C with zero pressure in Arizona, that just might be the right situation.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think he has some Iginla potentials, but I also see Dawes and Chris Stewart as well in that he may never reach that ceiling when rounding out his game.

Have we considered Kevin Weekes?

Iginla was also a highly touted prospect with physical gifts and offensive tools that was moved for a player Dallas would go on to win a cup with in Nieuwendyk. It was a huge deal and both teams ended up winning the deal.

We don’t have a lot of black stars to cheer for in the NHL so comparing one that has serious pedigree that reminds them of Iginla doesn’t make me mad.

But please, tell me, pigmentally challenged empoleon and Penguin Provorov, how you’re both so bothered by @Gurglesons using that comparison yet I’m not. And you f***ing know I’m not shy to call out shit.

Hell I’d love to get POJ’s brother on the Pens over Heinturd and also adding Byfield. That’d be f***ing awesome for me.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Iginla was also a highly touted prospect with physical gifts and offensive tools that was moved for a player Dallas would go on to win a cup with in Nieuwendyk. It was a huge deal and both teams ended up winning the deal.

We don’t have a lot of black stars to cheer for in the NHL so comparing one that has serious pedigree that reminds them of Iginla doesn’t make me mad.

But please, tell me, pigmentally challenged empoleon and Penguin Provorov, how you’re both so bothered by @Gurglesons using that comparison yet I’m not. And you f***ing know I’m not shy to call out shit.

Hell I’d love to get POJ’s brother on the Pens over Heinturd and also adding Byfield. That’d be f***ing awesome for me.

Been on the Matthieu Joseph train since he was moved for Paul.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Arizona could potentially end up with a foundation of Byfield, Cooley and Bedard in addition to Vejmelka and Keller.

If they were a real organization and not a contract dumping ground for the NHL, that would be exciting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Arizona could potentially end up with a foundation of Byfield, Cooley and Bedard in addition to Vejmelka and Keller.

If they were a real organization and not a contract dumping ground for the NHL, that would be exciting.

Then they'd just have to go out and get a stud defenseman to go along with all those forwards. Maybe they can flip one of those forwards for a young D like Chychrun. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad