Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Im just saying, i've tested a million things to make a healthier cookie dough that is protein packed. Haven't found the perfect consistency yet so i'll be attacking this for sure.

Amen. My go-to for breakfast

- Grilled chicken & rice (i usually eat this abou 3-4 times a week)
- Lean grass fed/through ground meat, eggs, & sour cream in a bowl.

Protein protein protein. Let's go.
I lost 67 pounds during the pandemic. 6 feet tall and 162 pounds for around two years now.

Stopped going out for eating. Used to go four nights aweek and most lunches too. You simply can not eat healthy out even if you try ordering what seems to be a healthy order. Salads can have all sorts of junk on them including the dressing.

Blood work is perfect now. Lots of energy. I walk more than 15,000 steps a day. Smart watch and made it a goal.

I did it mostly with a Mediterranean diet. Not on purpose but I love grilled fish. Vegetables. Fruit. A couple of glasses of red wine every dinner.

Not that I deny myself 'bad' things. I simply use moderation with them. I only go out once a week. I eat deserts, pasta, anything. But not constantly.

As for the thread topic, at least so far, give Dubas credit. He hasn't caved to ridiculous trade demands for Karlsson despite obvious deep interest. That is a win.

I would love a million dollar house. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be stupid to buy one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I lost 67 pounds during the pandemic. 6 feet tall and 162 pounds for around two years now.

Stopped going out for eating. Used to go four nights aweek and most lunches too. Yoy simply can not eat healthy out even if you try ordering what seems to be healthy.

blood work is perfect now. Lots of energy. I walk more than 15,000 steps a day. Smart watch and made it a goal.

I did it mostly with a Mediterranean diet. Not on purpose but I love grilled fish. Vegetables. Fruit. A couple of glasses of red wine every dinner.

Not that I deny myself 'bad' things. Simply use moderation with them. Only go out once a week. Eat deserts, pasta, anything. But not constantly.

I'm trying to lose weight right now and stopping eating out was one of the first things I did. Not only is it super high in calories, but it seems like everything is really expensive at this point. If you get a double meat burrito from Chipotle, that's easily going for 1200 calories while costing you about $15. It's just not worth it.

I started focusing on losing weight about a month ago and I'm currently down 10 lbs already. I was stagnant at like 247 lbs living an ultra unhealthy life (not working out, binge drinking regularly, eating out a ton), so pretty much any movement in the positive direction would yield good results. I still need to cut back more on the drinking, but I do 12-15 mile bike rides daily and I pretty much don't eat out anymore. My goal is to fall below 200 by 2024, so I have about 35 lbs to lose in 24 weeks. It's aggressive but doable IMO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to lose weight right now and stopping eating out was one of the first things I did. Not only is it super high in calories, but it seems like everything is really expensive at this point. If you get a double meat burrito from Chipotle, that's easily going for 1200 calories while costing you about $15. It's just not worth it.

I started focusing on losing weight about a month ago and I'm currently down 10 lbs already. I was stagnant at like 247 lbs living an ultra unhealthy life (not working out, binge drinking regularly, eating out a ton), so pretty much any movement in the positive direction would yield good results. I still need to cut back more on the drinking, but I do 12-15 mile bike rides daily and I pretty much don't eat out anymore. My goal is to fall below 200 by 2024, so I have about 35 lbs to lose in 24 weeks. It's aggressive but doable IMO.
Congratulations on the decision and progress.

Eating in rather than out is a great first step.

Example:

Yeah, it is Taco Bell, but I ordered a salad!

There are 906 calories in a 1 item (533.000g) serving size of TACO BELL, Taco Salad. The calorie breakdown is 49% fat, 36% carbs, and 16% protein.

My advice is to find what you like that will keep you healthy as a go to, and stick to it.

I learned to cook. I make a lot of fish, especially salmon. My go to shopping is Costco and their frozen salmon is amazing. Just don't overcook it as most do. I simply use olive oil and season the fish, often in a pan. I make it over medium heat and medium rare. Just when it starts to flake and separate and is still pink in the middle. Fresh vegetables. Salad. Bolthouse has amazing dressings that taste great and don't have 500 calories a tablespoon. Grapes, oranges, apples, etc. I don't even really watch calories. And eat a lot of them. We go through a huge 3-liter bottle of Olive Oil, 120 calories per tablespoon, every three months.

But if those sorts of foods don't appeal to you, find out what does.

My girlfriend hates green vegetables, so finding an alternative for her has been a real challenge.

You simply will not stick to something that you hate.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There is no known direct relationship between Erik Karlsson, a professional ice hockey player, and eating a healthy breakfast. Erik Karlsson is a Swedish-born defenseman who has played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for teams such as the Ottawa Senators and San Jose Sharks.
However, it is worth mentioning that a healthy breakfast is generally considered an important part of maintaining a balanced diet and overall well-being. Many athletes, including hockey players like Karlsson, recognize the significance of proper nutrition for optimal performance. While there may not be a specific connection between Karlsson and breakfast, it is likely that he, like many athletes, understands the importance of a healthy diet, which could include a nutritious breakfast.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Liquid IV has a ton of sugar in it too from what I remember. I use Ultima for that reason.
11g per stick. 45cal. Better than the 130cal and 31g of the gatorade. The liquid IVs have a bunch of Vit B in them too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I try to work out 3 times a week at least (sometimes more, but that's the minimum I push to hit no matter what) and I also walk 5 times a week and have one day of strenuous exercise (outdoor hockey atm). I'm trying to get back into ice as well. Took a break for a while there due to covid.

I've mostly limited my eating out to two days a week, and I try not to go too wild with it when I do (and eat a light lunch those days if possible).

With all of that said, I'm feeling pretty good these days and have managed to keep off about 15-20 pounds from where I started (was 225, usually weigh in now from anywhere from 205-210). I've been keeping to this schedule of working out and walking for about two years now.

It's f***in hard to get past that though. The weight I've lost has stayed off and I feel great from all the exercising I'm doing and I'm a lot stronger as well, but I feel like I will need to restrict my diet even more to push below 200.

My advice would be to find things you can stick to. I haven't lost quite as much weight as I would like, but the weight I have lost has stayed off, and I've been able to stay disciplined and continue to stick to my exercise plan. And I've been able to do that because I like the exercises I'm doing and I like how it has made me feel. But I've seen lots of people try to go too hard and maybe they lose more than I do but then they can't keep it up and they gain the weight back.

If you can lose a bit of weight and keep it off for a while, then you can push even past that to lose some more once you feel comfortable. That's my stance on it anyways, but everyone needs to find what works for them.

Hoping that getting back into ice once or twice a week will make me lose even a bit more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My advice would be to find things you can stick to. I haven't lost quite as much weight as I would like, but the weight I have lost has stayed off, and I've been able to stay disciplined and continue to stick to my exercise plan. And I've been able to do that because I like the exercises I'm doing and I like how it has made me feel. But I've seen lots of people try to go too hard and maybe they lose more than I do but then they can't keep it up and they gain the weight back.

That's what biking has been for me. Granted I've always liked biking, but it has been a new development where my first response to "I'm bored" is "let's go for a bike ride". Even on days where I wake up thinking "I'm going to take today as an off-day", I'll be sitting there at like 2 PM bored out of my mind and I'll go on a bike ride anyway :laugh:

It's a definite improvement over the "I'm bored, let's get drunk and watch youtube videos" mindset I used to have.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

You need to learn the single Taco burrito hack from Chipotle. There's one down the road from my office. My admin gal showed me. Now I tell her to double it every time.

In summary, she orders a single taco, and then adds all the burrito components "on the side". So they give her like 5-6 cups of the whatever topping on the side and she gets a tortilla with it, again, "on the side". Then we put everything in it and wrap it up. Regular size burrito for like $4 plus tip.
To get back to something hockey related:

This contract makes me much more okay with not acquiring Colton tbh. I wouldn't have wanted to pay him $4 million a year.

Woof. I liked him and wanted him here but not $4mil like him.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Stopped going out for eating. Used to go four nights aweek and most lunches too. You simply can not eat healthy out even if you try ordering what seems to be a healthy order. Salads can have all sorts of junk on them including the dressing.

Blood work is perfect now. Lots of energy. I walk more than 15,000 steps a day. Smart watch and made it a goal.

Not that I deny myself 'bad' things. I simply use moderation with them. I only go out once a week. I eat deserts, pasta, anything. But not constantly.

As for the thread topic, at least so far, give Dubas credit. He hasn't caved to ridiculous trade demands for Karlsson despite obvious deep interest. That is a win.

I would love a million dollar house. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be stupid to buy one.
Calorie cycling can be a thing too where you eat a bit more on some days and less on others. So you can use your eating out day(s) as your calorie cycling days. Some people find that works. That's kinda what I'm doing I guess since I do tend to eat out dinner 2x a week.

But I haven't had near the results you've had. You're killin it dude. Way to go.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That's what biking has been for me. Granted I've always liked biking, but it has been a new development where my first response to "I'm bored" is "let's go for a bike ride". Even on days where I wake up thinking "I'm going to take today as an off-day", I'll be sitting there at like 2 PM bored out of my mind and I'll go on a bike ride anyway :laugh:

It's a definite improvement over the "I'm bored, let's get drunk and watch youtube videos" mindset I used to have.
Yeah man it's all about what works and what you can get into the habit of doing. I feel so much better even with the weight I have lost and I do hope to eventually get below 200.

I f***in miss being in my early 20s being able to eat whatever and never gain weight. Being old sucks

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Calorie cycling can be a thing too where you eat a bit more on some days and less on others. So you can use your eating out day(s) as your calorie cycling days. Some people find that works. That's kinda what I'm doing I guess since I do tend to eat out dinner 2x a week.

But I haven't had near the results you've had. You're killin it dude. Way to go.
There is no 'right' way.

Only the right way for you.

The trick is finding it.

I did not feel like I gave anything up. So, it was so easy. I never feel hungry. I get the taste of 'fatty' foods with a huge amounts of olive oil.

But anyone who tells you that this is the way that you need to go is lying to you. You need to find a way that works for you. No one will stick to anything that feels like they are depriving themselves. And for each of us that is a different thing.

I say this about politics as well. What a boring place if we were all the same. I actually enjoy talking most to people who disagree with me and have entirely different world views. Be it politics, sports, whatever. As long as each respect one another and refrains from name calling and generalizing.

We each are unique individuals. That is what makes this world wonderful. That is why I have begun to travel. To see how we differ and yet at the core remain the same.

Find who you are, and what will not feel like a huge sacrifice for you. Find the things that the unique person that is you will enjoy that are healthy. Otherwise, you will lose weight, get pristine blood work, and then eventually, much faster than you would think, will lose all of that progress and end up where you started as you give up as it feels like work and sacrifice.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
But anyone who tells you that this is the way that you need to go is lying to you. You need to find a way that works for you. No one will stick to anything that feels like they are depriving themselves. And for each of us that is a different thing.
Yeah I sound like a broken record because I've posted it a few times in here, but 100% agree. It's all about finding something that works for you. Being on an amazing diet that you can't stick to is just gonna result in you losing weight and then gaining it right back when you lose the resolve to keep up with it.

As for politics well...I try to be respectful there, as you do, but if someone has shitty views I don't think it's a great thing to legitimize those views by saying that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I believe in free speech of course, but I also believe in exercising that free speech against people who say, do, or believe terrible things. In other words, if someone believes shitty stuff, I'm not afraid to call them out on it. And I'd hope people would keep me honest in the same way.

But I also know that it's hard to change anyone's mind on political things so I don't often try to. For me the best thing is often to do what we do here and not even bring it up :laugh:.

Reactions: Rave7215

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah I sound like a broken record because I've posted it a few times in here, but 100% agree. It's all about finding something that works for you. Being on an amazing diet that you can't stick to is just gonna result in you losing weight and then gaining it right back when you lose the resolve to keep up with it.

As for politics well...I try to be respectful there, as you do, but if someone has shitty views I don't think it's a great thing to legitimize those views by saying that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I believe in free speech of course, but I also believe in exercising that free speech against people who say, do, or believe terrible things. In other words, if someone believes shitty stuff, I'm not afraid to call them out on it. And I'd hope people would keep me honest in the same way.

But I also know that it's hard to change anyone's mind on political things so I don't often try to. For me the best thing is often to do what we do here and not even bring it up :laugh:.
For the most part those with the most radical views, right and left, don't adhere to the treat everyone with respect part that I make a criteria for discussion.

So it rarely becomes an issue for me.

Then again, I had four glasses of a very nice Italian Cab with dinner tonight. So I might be compromised in my posting. Definately my typos. Hence all the edits.

Reactions: Pancakes

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

WOW man. WOW. Dude congratulations. f***ing right. You know how serious I take health so i am so damn proud of you man. Walking, strength training, and good protein. It can make such a difference in health and well-being.

Congrats brother.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
For the most part those with the most radical views, right and left, don't adhere to the treat everyone with respect part that I make a criteria for discussion.

So it rarely becomes an issue for me.

Then again, I had four glasses of a very nice Italian Cab with dinner tonight. So I might be compromised in my posting. Definately my typos. Hence all the edits.

That is a very early dinner

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I love a good bowl of Frosted Flakes!

Well yeah. Actual cane sugar seems more or less is restricted to Mexican bottled Coke and these random limited runs they do.

HFCS is such the standard now (sadly IMO) that I just kinda conflate the two in my mind.
I have up soda, average 1 per year, but man those Mexican Coca-Cola glass bottles with real sugar are so good!!!

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad