Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't think Grier's gonna get that king's ransom he seems to want, and he's likely gonna have to eat more than the like 20% salary or whatever he wants to in order to move Karlsson.

But I also think Grier might drag this shit out for way too long, in a desperate hope to bring back that haul.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I would do Pickering plus the 2024 first (leave it buck naked if it helps) for Karlsson at 8mil.

Then pray there is a 3rd team that will take Petry and maybe another to buyout Carter and let him sign somewhere else if he wants to try and play.
We would probably have to part with the 2025 2nd and another later round pick and/or a prospect to make it work. We could likely get a later round pick for DeSmith or throw him in the deal.
I would rather not trade 2 firsts as they have broader currency for down the road.

If we are stuck with Carter and Petry then I favour leaving the D as is for now. Granlund out for an upgrade is a potential move. I would offer Ty Smith and/or Yager along with Granlund to Calgary and see where that leads.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm going to assume the deal Dubas offered is something like Petry + 2024 1st + 2024 3rd + Smith/POJ and the issue is that SJ didn't want Petry, or Petry didn't want to go to SJ so then it shifted to finding a third team, which doesn't seem to have worked. They probably kept the DOC arbitration thing in their back pocket in case they couldn't find a taker for Petry and/or Granlund.

If a deal is done, I'll guess it's Granlund + 2024 1st + 2024 3rd + Smith/POJ for Karlsson at $8.25 million AAV. If SJ doesn't want Granlund, I'll assume Dubas uses the second buyout window on him.

I think they'll also probably really try to move Petry out in a different move because paying to have Petry play like 10 minutes a night on the 3rd pairing is f***ing stupid.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
To clear room for EK65 in CapFriendly, I traded Petry w/ $1.25M retained to Nashville for Cole Smith. And then I re-signed Ty Smith. And signed Gemel Smith and CJ Smith.
1688952989978.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Thinking about cap space would be a lot better for me if I didn't have to remind myself that Jarry got $5.25mil for 5yrs. f***ing gross.
Actually $5.375 mil if that makes you feel any better lol

Does that mean Jake wont get 9M? i'd be more comfortable giving Jake that 4 year DeBrincat contract over 8 years 9-10M AAV. But I guess Jake can say "see ya, i'll test the market and see if someone bites".
I’d give Jake the DeBrincat contract…if he won’t accept trade him before he walks, particularly if we’re not in a playoff position before the TDL

Reactions: 66-30-33

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know that the Debrincat contract is more relevant than the Meier contract. Both guys are younger, but neither guy has had Jake's production over the past several seasons combined.

If he takes the Debrincat deal, cool. But I would be surprised if his camp didn't push for the Meier deal, maybe not as far as term goes, but AAV.

I hope Dubas shops the shit out of Jake all season so he has an idea of what the return would be and who would be interested if this team stumbles badly heading into the TDL. Making the same mistake with Jake that they did with Rust would be really shitty, but again, fully expected. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hard to imagine Guentzel getting anywhere near 8 mil per on a long-term deal after Debrincat's contract.
I think that contract is going to be spun by Jake’s and every other agent as an unusual situation where the player wanted out of Ottawa immediately and there were few places he wanted to play, which gave Yzerman all the leverage…kinda like Jarry’s agent had when he bent Dubas over lol

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Karlsson deal was just not doable and now with the pens limited here, I think that deal is dead which is fine with me. I have no issue with Petry as a number 2 RD as he does fit the time frame for seeing what Pens can do in Sids remaining years. Granlund will be gone, one of the goalies down and gives the Pens cap room here. I agree, I shop Jake and simply don't want a LT contract.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Karlsson deal was just not doable and now with the pens limited here, I think that deal is dead which is fine with me. I have no issue with Petry as a number 2 RD as he does fit the time frame for seeing what Pens can do in Sids remaining years. Granlund will be gone, one of the goalies down and gives the Pens cap room here. I agree, I shop Jake and simply don't want a LT contract.
The deal is still very much doable.

Buyout Granlund when you give DOC 900k
Petry+Smith+1st to SJS for EK at $8mil

Not hard to fit it.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The deal is still very much doable.

Buyout Granlund when you give DOC 900k
Petry+Smith+1st to SJS for EK at $8mil

Not hard to fit it.
I don't think Petry wants to go to SJ and I don't blame him. He has his NTC and is winding down the end of his career.

Agree with it or not he has a big say in where he goes.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Here is the problem with that, (smoke and mirrors) where teams are not fully into a groove, working out the kinks, and team defense's are not clicking, yet.

That's the issue the Pens are in flying about and not into the full grind yet. Pushback from other teams, even the basement type of teams.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/hide.

This happens because they rely on Sid/Geno way too much. Still.

Rinse and repeat.
It's gonna be a struggle for sure. But hopefully we will be on the right side of that this year. Lost so many close ones last year.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think that DeBrincat deal shows the impact that the flat cap plus a limited market has on a player's value. Based on that deal, I'm highly skeptical the Sharks will end up getting Smith, Pickering and a 1st for Karlsson.

Was never going to be a lot with a two team bidding war. Unless Dubas wants him at like less than 8 mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad