Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It wasn't even just that, it was the hurry he felt he needed to get to that.

Dubas: "Like, I finally have 100% control, but I can't control myself, I'm free.... spend, spend, spend..... Oh shit! I'm in debt."

Edit: That also reflects in day one overpayments.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The contract year thing is played out. Especially with a guy like Zucker. He plays all his shifts all out, always has. That's why he's so well liked by his teammates

Rust got empty net time and #1PP opportunities.

So comparing raw stats with zero context is pretty dumb. Obviously because what Zucker did was all at 5v5, makes his stat line much more impressive.

Rust had his worst year, I admitted that. I also pushed moving on from him several times. But Rust objectively had his worst ever year in a Pens uniform and statistically wasn't horrible. He was just horrible compared to his old self - and he's young enough to maybe actually try over this Summer and improve next year.

I'm just not into splitting hairs over this and I also don't like Zucker as a player. Never have. I think he does finish his shift every single time - but those shifts suck. He skates hard, lays irrelevant hits, agitates irrelevant players, then goes back to the bench. He never pushed the needle for us. That doesn't mean that Rust didn't also suck. Zucker had a few nice goals here. I just never saw him as the top 6 player this team needed/needs. I also don't think Smith is that guy either fwiw.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't think it's without justification.

I mean - who looks at this team and says:
- More Jarry. 5 more years of Jarry!
- Man, that bottom 6 could really use a 34 year old Eller
- The problem with the top 6 last year was Zucker. Lets add a carbon copy with more playoff miles.
- They need more veteran leadership. All moves must be made with players over 30

He literally came in talking about Hornqvist and Kunitz - and has thus far made objectively ZERO changes to this lineup. It's quite literally just different names filling the same damned roles in the same way.

GCR
RMS
Dogshit
AHL + Carter

Letang - Graves
Petry - Petts
Mush

Jarry
Mush

Same head coach for a decade. Same assistants that can't spell power play.

How much time we supposed to give it? Like - what, of anything at all, has Dubas given us to get remotely excited about lol?
I dunno maybe a few months of the season to see how the team plays?

Reactions: dingo71 and Lustaf

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Has Dubas considered trading all of his bad players to another team for all of their good players?

Fire Doober, he's ruining this team!!!!

I don't think that's the perspective. I would have liked an absolute resistance to sign anyone over 29. And if that means we walk into camp with a ton of cap space - so be it. I would have tried to offload (still possible) one of Carter, Petry, or Gran. Still possible.

Honestly the "theme" of the Pittsburgh Penguins is get old players and hope it works. We are going to be skated around with ease. :laugh:

I don't think asking for a purpose to get younger is too much to ask. And that Jarry signing.. YEEEESH.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I dunno maybe a few months of the season to see how the team plays?

Here is the problem with that, (smoke and mirrors) where teams are not fully into a groove, working out the kinks, and team defense's are not clicking, yet.

That's the issue the Pens are in flying about and not into the full grind yet. Pushback from other teams, even the basement type of teams.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/hide.

This happens because they rely on Sid/Geno way too much. Still.

Rinse and repeat.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I don't think that's the perspective. I would have liked an absolute resistance to sign anyone over 29. And if that means we walk into camp with a ton of cap space - so be it. I would have tried to offload (still possible) one of Carter, Petry, or Gran. Still possible.

Honestly the "theme" of the Pittsburgh Penguins is get old players and hope it works. We are going to be skated around with ease. :laugh:

I don't think asking for a purpose to get younger is too much to ask. And that Jarry signing.. YEEEESH.
Dubas with the 300IQ move, predicting a short season due to nuclear fears :sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: Pens x and Lustaf

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Buyouts do not help this team. You have 2 seasons of Sid as it stands.

Let's put a hefty 2.750 road block into next season. Maybe manageable if you are already loaded with depth. Kind of hard losing a 3rd line quality player worth of cap.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Rust got empty net time and #1PP opportunities.

So comparing raw stats with zero context is pretty dumb. Obviously because what Zucker did was all at 5v5, makes his stat line much more impressive.
It's scary that people can take stats out of the context that much. Zucker was clearly superior player last year

Reactions: DisIsMyLife

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rust was next to useless last year. Floated around, wasnt physical and wasted space on PP1.

Yeah I wonder what Dubas would have done with Rust. One thing to keep the core together, but it shouldn’t be that difficult to replace Rust and let an overperforming role player move on and get his payday.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I just noticed that NHL.com added a big "100 greatest players" pin on players bios. Guess who's missing one?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
DMqYPbg.gif

You know, if the Pens don't win the EK trade I'll have to send all these Karlsson gifs to third world countries. :(

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
When Tony D is announced that will be the end of the Karlsson to Carolina charade

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I hear you on a lot of these fronts, but I do take issue with the idea that Dubas is not trying to get younger. Eller is really the only "older" player he acquired. I would have preferred someone like Morgan Geekie or Michael McLeod, but we don't know if they were ever a possibility. I certainly prefer Eller over Blueger or Kampf. AND, Dubas did acquire a young No. 3 center...Brayden Yager. It may take a few years, but he could slide into that spot. Poulin is also still here (for now).

He has moved out one future asset, just one. The pick we had acquired for Blueger turned into Reilly Smith. That is a win. Is Smith older than Zucker? Absolutely. He is also better in my humble opinion. Far more reliable and proven when it matters most. He is a great addition. Also, Graves is younger than Dumoulin and much needed for this soft roster. He will make an impact. Ditto Acciari, who is a massive upgrade over Archibald.

Nieto is meh, but so was Heinen. Nieto fits the checking line much better. Not sure he makes the team, since guys like O'Connor and Johnsson may beat him out. Johnsson looks like the type of reclamation project Dubas was talking about. Overall, we have improved the bottom six (is it enough? Maybe not). Especially if guys like Nylander, Puustinen, Poulin and O'Connor are given more opportunities. That will be key.

There is no point in moving Carter. He has the NMC and he is finishing his contract this season (and likely his career). Playing under 10 minutes a game should help him. If his line (the fourth) becomes more of a depth scoring line, that could help the team. Also, if he sits out some games, we have the players to replace him...maybe even Poulin? Carter still has some value on special teams, imo. As for Petry and Granlund, clearly Dubas is TRYING to move both of them. Will he succeed? I don't know, there seems to be gridlock with most NHL teams right now. I do suspect someone will be shipped out.

In terms of Jarry, Dubas picked a goaltender and went with it. At least he chose a 27-year-old with some untapped upside. And, he covered himself by adding depth. Quality depth. I think Nedeljkovic will turn out to be one of the best signings of this summer. For me, he is a big upgrade over DeSmith. And he is another goaltender with untapped upside.

If Dubas is done with the off-season, then for sure it will be disappointing. But, the good news is he kept most of our future assets.

I think it is time to pivot away from Karlsson and start looking for other impact player possibilities. I still think he has talked to the Rangers this off-season about Lafreniere, and I think he should continue to pursue that. I would also like him to maybe sign someone like Jesper Boqvist, who played some with Johnsson in NJ and has some untapped upside. He is quite versatile, too.

Until Dubas gives me a reason to dislike what his plan is, I will continue to support it. It does feel like that is a slippery slope, though.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Smith is a good pickup but many of you are going to be reeeeaaallly disappointed thinking he is that much better than Zucker that it's going to be much of a difference maker.

I am fine with not resigning Zucker but replacing him with Smith isn't pushing us any further than we were last year with our top 6.

It's still solid but we lack the player that we really need there who will create and drive a line if we want it to be better.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Smith is a good pickup but many of you are going to be reeeeaaallly disappointed thinking he is that much better than Zucker that it's going to be much of a difference maker.

I am fine with not resigning Zucker but replacing him with Smith isn't pushing us any further than we were last year with our top 6.

It's still solid but we lack the player that we really need there who will create and drive a line if we want it to be better.
I think Smith is the more consistent player but he’s not a very good goal scorer and I’m not convinced he’s a better forechecker either…if we could have gotten Zucker for one year, I would have rather done that

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For like the 5th time, Smith has out-scored Zucker in every single season since 2017-2018. And in that season, the only reason Zucker outscored him is because Smith missed 15 games. That was Zucker's career year, he had 33 goals and 64 points in 82 games compared to 22 goals and 60 points in 67 games for Smith.

Over that 6 years window, the two players have nearly identical goal totals (124 goals in 399 games for Smith, 118 goals in 380 games for Zucker). Smith gets way more assists, kills more penalties and has better on-ice results.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think Smith is the more consistent player but he’s not a very good goal scorer and I’m not convinced he’s a better forechecker either…if we could have gotten Zucker for one year, I would have rather done that
Zucker and Smith would have been worlds better than Smith and Granlund when your talking middle 6th depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00