Pre-Game Talk: Pens off till Wednesday... and guess who's back at practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I'm not calling anyone out with this, but here's a list of things I've read this year:

1) the regular season doesn't matter
2) find what works for the playoffs
3) get depth
4) Kunitz sucks, get him out of the top-6
5) Don't put Malkin at wing
6) Hornqvist and Crosby aren't working, try him with Malkin

it seems 100% clear to me that Malkin's wingers are Comeau and Hornqvist, that the team knows they are coming back, and that the team wants to try to go into the playofs with

Perron - Crosby - Downie
Comeau - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett

The team has realized that Kunitz won't work in the top-6. He's out of it. The team understands that Perron and Hornqvist should be split between Malkin and Crosby. The team believes that Comeau and Hornqvist will create a dynamic second line. The team is desperately trying to find a good+ 3rd line.

I would say the same thing if they were rolling Perron - Malkin - Rust, Spaling - Sid - Downie. They have a plan in place and they aren't going to deviate from that plan until they see it.
Regular season does matter unless you don´t mind if we play Toronto/Florida or the Rangers in R1. That said, we will still add one more winger at TDL and Mike Johnston will still juggle the lines so many times until the PO starts. Right now, we should be playing our best lineup as possible, there´s no reason to throw away pts. We can also add to the Bruins woes on Wednesday, the playofffs would be better without them. The next game is not meaningless at all.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The bigger question is that if he is traded are you two a package deal :)

well, I'm a Pens fan, not a Despres fan, but if he is traded, I will be on another board for a bit, yes. I mean, it would just be such a huge, dumb, monumentally stupid mistake. I would have to spend some time with him. Just to say goodbye.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Regular season does matter unless you don´t mind if we play Toronto/Florida or the Rangers in R1. That said, we will still add one more winger at TDL and Mike Johnston will still juggle the lines so many times until the PO starts. Right now, we should be playing our best lineup as possible, there´s no reason to throw away pts. We can also add to the Bruins woes on Wednesday, the playofffs would be better without them. The next game is not meaningless at all.

I'm not so sure why some people are so eager to go into the playoffs with Downie and Comeau in the top 6. I know they've done well for themselves with the opportunities they've had in the top 6, but in reality those guys are bottom 6 players.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm sure there is some silly explanation for why he left early but the thought of trading Despres makes me very sad.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Playoffs matchups matter, though. And we need points to have a better position in Metro. It´s getting very tight there in the standings, so we should be playing the best lineups as possible. Still plenty of time to get some chemistry come February and TDL. It´s not like this lineup is our final version.

Playoff matchups matter, but you don't know what spot is better to finish in to get the best matchup, 4th place might get you better a matchup then 1st place would.

If i could pick the best spot for the pens to be in it would be the wildcard spot that plays the atlantic division winner, pens seem to matchup better against the atlantic then the metro.

Looking at the west right now the Kings could end up being a wildcard, how bad would it suck to finish in first place and your reward in the 1st round is the LA Kings.

penguins2946*

Daypray traded to Edmonton for Yakupov e5 #donedeal

Can I become an insider now?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
it seems 100% clear to me that Malkin's wingers are Comeau and Hornqvist, that the team knows they are coming back, and that the team wants to try to go into the playofs with

Perron - Crosby - Downie
Comeau - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett

The team has realized that Kunitz won't work in the top-6. He's out of it. The team understands that Perron and Hornqvist should be split between Malkin and Crosby. The team believes that Comeau and Hornqvist will create a dynamic second line. The team is desperately trying to find a good+ 3rd line.

I would say the same thing if they were rolling Perron - Malkin - Rust, Spaling - Sid - Downie. They have a plan in place and they aren't going to deviate from that plan until they see it.

I'm content with that top 9. Pretty damn balanced and enough for our centers to work with...

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I'm not so sure why some people are so eager to go into the playoffs with Downie and Comeau in the top 6. I know they've done well for themselves with the opportunities they've had in the top 6, but in reality those guys are bottom 6 players.

I would prefer one or none of those two be in the top 6 come playoff time. With that said, I'd rather have a motivated, overachieving Downie in the top 6 than a declining player (acquired by trade) who is - by one definition or another - a "top 6" player.

All of this is to say that it's not out of the question to have a "bottom 6" guy playing in our top 6 if the fit is right. Flashbacks to 2009 and Talbot/Feds riding Malkin's coattails come to mind.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
It depends on the return. I want to know what's up with Kunitz also. Probably sick.

Probably trade with Despres ... Berglund or Oshie :sarcasm:

Just kidding. I really hate the idea of Simon being traded. More likely he wasn't feeling well and had to leave. Goc missed today due to illness, maybe there's a bug going around.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Playoff matchups matter, but you don't know what spot is better to finish in to get the best matchup, 4th place might get you better a matchup then 1st place would.

If i could pick the best spot for the pens to be in it would be the wildcard spot that plays the atlantic division winner, pens seem to matchup better against the atlantic then the metro.

Looking at the west right now the Kings could end up being a wildcard, how bad would it suck to finish in first place and your reward in the 1st round is the LA Kings.
Probabilities, though. Let´s win the Metro(Conference) and have a chance to play one of the wildcards (Capitals, Leafs, Panthers) rather than Islanders/Rangers. I know it can still go various ways, but if you win the division, there´s a better chance that you´ll get a favourable R1 matchup.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't think Downie is a top-6 player in a vacuum, but I'm unwilling to rule out the notion that Crosby has more space when he's out there. With Spaling, that was a moot point. With Perron, that might actually matter. i want to see that line for a couple of weeks before a final judgment is made on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad