Pre-Game Talk: Pens off till Wednesday... and guess who's back at practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Who cares right now, they will be back at some point. Does Wednesdays game trump trying things out for when the games matter more? I don't know but im not gonna pop a vein either way.

So why not TRY Malkin with the better wingers then in an unimportant game? We've already seen the Sutter-Bennett combination, so why not TRY a Malkin-Bennett combination if Wednesday's game doesn't trump trying things out for when the games matter more?

That was a pretty lousy point you just tried to make.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
No. The lines that give you the best chance of winning in the playoffs are what should be used.

Sometimes that means experimenting, sometimes it means putting players in different situations in the regular season, and sometimes it means building chemistry anticipating future moves.

I find it hilarious when I hear "the regular season means nothing", then followed by *****ing about the lines.

Byslma didnt every try anything new and look what happened.

I feel like we will see different lines all year until the last stretch, then things will solidify. Until then, I'm sure we'll heard plenty of whining about lines as usual

Again, how is playing Sutter and Bennett together something new? How do we know Malkin and Bennett wouldn't be a good combination until it's tried?

Some of you don't realize how silly you sound when on one hand you talk about needing to try new things for the playoffs, and on the other hand insist two forwards ABSOLUTELY MUST STAY TOGETHER OR ELSE THE TEAM IS SCREWED IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

:shakehead

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No. The lines that give you the best chance of winning in the playoffs are what should be used.

Sometimes that means experimenting, sometimes it means putting players in different situations in the regular season, and sometimes it means building chemistry anticipating future moves.

I find it hilarious when I hear "the regular season means nothing", then followed by *****ing about the lines.

Byslma didnt every try anything new and look what happened.

I feel like we will see different lines all year until the last stretch, then things will solidify. Until then, I'm sure we'll heard plenty of whining about lines as usual
Playoffs matchups matter, though. And we need points to have a better position in Metro. It´s getting very tight there in the standings, so we should be playing the best lineups as possible. Still plenty of time to get some chemistry come February and TDL. It´s not like this lineup is our final version.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
So why not TRY Malkin with the better wingers then in an unimportant game? We've already seen the Sutter-Bennett combination, so why not TRY a Malkin-Bennett combination if Wednesday's game doesn't trump trying things out for when the games matter more?

That was a pretty lousy point you just tried to make.

Which would be fine also, my point is it really doesn't matter right now either way. Either try MAlkin with Bennett and Kunitz or let them develop chemistry with Sutter considering they will most likely (at least Bennett) be with Sutter anyway.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not calling anyone out with this, but here's a list of things I've read this year:

1) the regular season doesn't matter
2) find what works for the playoffs
3) get depth
4) Kunitz sucks, get him out of the top-6
5) Don't put Malkin at wing
6) Hornqvist and Crosby aren't working, try him with Malkin

it seems 100% clear to me that Malkin's wingers are Comeau and Hornqvist, that the team knows they are coming back, and that the team wants to try to go into the playofs with

Perron - Crosby - Downie
Comeau - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett

The team has realized that Kunitz won't work in the top-6. He's out of it. The team understands that Perron and Hornqvist should be split between Malkin and Crosby. The team believes that Comeau and Hornqvist will create a dynamic second line. The team is desperately trying to find a good+ 3rd line.

I would say the same thing if they were rolling Perron - Malkin - Rust, Spaling - Sid - Downie. They have a plan in place and they aren't going to deviate from that plan until they see it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Playoffs matchups matter, though. And we need points to have a better position in Metro. It´s getting very tight there in the standings, so we should be playing the best lineups as possible. Still plenty of time to get some chemistry come February and TDL. It´s not like this lineup is our final version.

Maybe they are just resistant to the idea of Bennett in the top 6 because of his injury history or because he hasn't "earned it" yet or whatever. You can't say "we have to try different things for the playoffs!" and then right after that imply that Sutter and Bennett have to be glued together.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Which would be fine also, my point is it really doesn't matter right now either way. Either try MAlkin with Bennett and Kunitz or let them develop chemistry with Sutter considering they will most likely (at least Bennett) be with Sutter anyway.

You're way overreacting if you think Malkin playing with guys he may or may not play with in the playoffs will ruin team chemistry.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

A. we are still not even close to being in danger of missing the playoffs
B. Home ice isnt a real factor in the NHL
C. We have no idea who will be slotted where... its possible that by seasons end the team we dont want to play will have slipped or risen to the 8th spot... best regular season standing does not equate to best possible matchup.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting to find the best combos

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Call me crazy but i can't see both Downie and Comeau being legitimate candidates to stay in the top 6 for the rest of the season. One or the other, sure. But not both.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You're way overreacting if you think Malkin playing with guys he may or may not play with in the playoffs will ruin team chemistry.

Considering I NEVER said anything of the sort.

I said it doesn't matter if you either want to try MAlkin with Bennett or Kunitz or just let them ride with Sutter since they will likely be playing with him eventually anyway. There is no wrong answer. Because it doesn't matter, your the one overreacting. Especially since its a practice 2 days before a game is even to be played.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Call me crazy but i can't see both Downie and Comeau being legitimate candidates to stay in the top 6 for the rest of the season. One or the other, sure. But not both.

which is why Despres was just traded

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I tend to agree. In the past we've seen Crosby and/or Malkin prop up bottom 6 players playing in the top 6 in the regular season, only to see them disappear in the playoffs. We need to get away from this mentality of "Oh Crosby and Malkin will just do everything!" because it hasn't worked since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad