Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
I'd be comfy with Jarry at like 2x4.5. Moveable, still, with some room to upgrade DeSmith. He probably wants more like 3x5 though.
I'd be accepting (if not a bit disappointed) in bringing Jarry back, however there best not be any type of NMC or NTC.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I can't believe that Rob Rossi isn't meeting us at DQ.

Stop quoting that clown. Or do so knowing it's just another poster speculating.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought most people accepted that's what Hextall had to do because of the cap, but yeah, same strategy.

Hextall had cap restraints where Dubas has cap flexibility. Would you rather him chase guys or let the players who want to be here come to him? A lot of teams trying to eradicate cap.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
8134DBE3-B225-4B4E-966E-CF4FA75FD460.jpeg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The whole "Hextall didn't have cap flexibility" thing fails to me because Hextall had the ability to open up cap flexibility, he just decided to not do it. He didn't have to re-sign Rust and Carter to the deals they got. He didn't have to turn Matheson into Petry.

It's a moot point because Hextall is on the unemployment line and won't get another job as a GM, so it's whatever. I'm just really optimistic going forward with Dubas and am really hoping he makes some good moves tomorrow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So Poehling’s injury is the same thing that he kept missing time for last year, I take it?

I found it weird it was upper body but he reinjured it in the morning or pregame skate. Not sure what that could be.

I guess probably back.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Anyone else getting nervous that FA starts tomorrow and we don't have a goaltender yet? Either pull the trigger on a trade, or just sign Jarry already.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At least the Penguins don't have this dunce as their GM anymore:

This also makes a lot of sense for LA, I think they end up signing Talbot.

Man, if LA runs Neds/Talbot...woof.

Anyone else getting nervous that FA starts tomorrow and we don't have a goaltender yet? Either pull the trigger on a trade, or just sign Jarry already.
I imagine there will be options available after FA as well. Not like there are many FA goalies that are "we can't miss out on them if we can't make a trade".

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
So Poehling’s injury is the same thing that he kept missing time for last year, I take it?

I found it weird it was upper body but he reinjured it in the morning or pregame skate. Not sure what that could be.

I guess probably back.
DK speculated it was his back as well. Expressed concern as to whether he would be back.

Man, if LA runs Neds/Talbot...woof.

I imagine there will be options available after FA as well. Not like there are many FA goalies that are "we can't miss out on them if we can't make a trade".
There's one. Jarry. I'd like to do better than him but the UFA market outsife him looks real bad

Reactions: Jacob

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sucks about Poehling but at the same time, it opens up the possibility of someone new which, at this point, isn't a bad thing.

Morgan Geekie or Sam Steel (or both), come on down!

Sprongy! Buddy! Welcome back!

Hey Soucy, come join your bud Geekie!

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hextall had cap restraints where Dubas has cap flexibility. Would you rather him chase guys or let the players who want to be here come to him? A lot of teams trying to eradicate cap.
I'm glad you asked me this question. So, what I prefer is that you quickly sign your number one target and get him in the fold. That'll take a little bit of pressure of the urgency and also guarantee you're getting the quality player you want without losing him to another club. It also provides you cost certainty and a blueprint of what you can spend moving forward. As you go lower along the totem pole (4th liners, bottom pair defenders and such), they'll be plentiful, THATS when to be patient as some one will undoubtedly be available beyond tomorrow that fills a need. But at least get your number one or two target signed early.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Geekie or Comtois are probably upgrades on Poehling anyway, but probably cost a bit more. Steel too. Definitely better on faceoffs.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll always remember Poehling for his late-season botched wraparounds and blazing speed that led to nothing helpful.
I mean, he worked hard. Pretty decent defensively. I wish him well in his recovery and with his next team, but I'm glad Dubas can identify problems and move on when needed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can anyone explain to me how that EDM-DET deal was not cap circumvention.?

Detroit gets Yamamoto and Kostin rights for future considerations(nothing) going back to Edmonton.
Detroit buys out Yamamoto.
Detroit non-tenders Kostin and he becomes UFA.

So Detroit trades nothing to take on 2 years of Yamamoto buyout cap hit. And Edmonton pays nothing to do it. Edmonton just avoided having to pay Yamamoto his 3.1M salary this year or the buyout cap hit. What’s the point except cap circumvention and how is this allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad