Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

DannyShirey​

7:42 PM - JUNE 30, 2023
TEN PLAYERS ADDED
TO DEV CAMP ROSTER

The Penguins have added 10 players to their development camp roster:
Atley Calvert
Luca Fantilli
Cooper Foster
(Pick No. 174 in draft)
Avery Hayes
Emil Jarventie
(Pick No. 217)
Kalle Kangas (Pick No. 223)
Jay O'Brien
Emil Pieniniemi
(Pick No. 91)
Jeremy Wilmer
Brayden Yager
(Pick No. 14)
Of note, Calvert was Yager's linemate with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the OHL last season. The 19-year-old had 73 points in 67 games during the regular season, then had 11 points in 10 playoff games.
Fantilli, 20, is the older brother of Adam Fantilli, who was selected third overall by the Blue Jackets on Wednesday. He's a 5-foot-11, 176-pound defenseman and posted seven points in 36 games with the University of Michigan last season.
Hayes, 20, is currently injured. He's a 5-foot-10, 175-pound right winger who has played four seasons in the OHL. He's produced 156 points in 131 games over the last two seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs and Peterborough Petes. He’s already on an AHL contract with WBS for next season.
Development camp begins tomorrow, 1 p.m., at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry and will run through Monday, July 3. Each day of camp will be free and open to the public.
The final day of camp will feature a tournament beginning at 12 p.m. That'd be the day to go if you can only make it out once.
Taylor and I will have your coverage for all of it.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Midnight update from Elliotte Friedman, who says somewhat obviously that the crowded market has made free agency much harder to project.

No Pens news, but here you go:

Treliving seems to want to recreate the Lucic effect in Calgary for Toronto (ie. sign a guy whose only thing is fighting now).

Leafs are better off just re-signing Simmonds if all they want is a guy who'll fight now and then and be a healthy scratch the rest of the time. Simmonds probably has better hands.

Reactions: Gurglesons

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

DannyShirey​

7:42 PM - JUNE 30, 2023
TEN PLAYERS ADDED
TO DEV CAMP ROSTER

The Penguins have added 10 players to their development camp roster:
Atley Calvert
Luca Fantilli
Cooper Foster
(Pick No. 174 in draft)
Avery Hayes
Emil Jarventie
(Pick No. 217)
Kalle Kangas (Pick No. 223)
Jay O'Brien
Emil Pieniniemi
(Pick No. 91)
Jeremy Wilmer
Brayden Yager
(Pick No. 14)
Of note, Calvert was Yager's linemate with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the OHL last season. The 19-year-old had 73 points in 67 games during the regular season, then had 11 points in 10 playoff games.
Fantilli, 20, is the older brother of Adam Fantilli, who was selected third overall by the Blue Jackets on Wednesday. He's a 5-foot-11, 176-pound defenseman and posted seven points in 36 games with the University of Michigan last season.
Hayes, 20, is currently injured. He's a 5-foot-10, 175-pound right winger who has played four seasons in the OHL. He's produced 156 points in 131 games over the last two seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs and Peterborough Petes. He’s already on an AHL contract with WBS for next season.
Development camp begins tomorrow, 1 p.m., at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry and will run through Monday, July 3. Each day of camp will be free and open to the public.
The final day of camp will feature a tournament beginning at 12 p.m. That'd be the day to go if you can only make it out once.
Taylor and I will have your coverage for all of it.
Was gonna complain about inviting own draft picks seeing O'brien is a flyers 1st round pick from 2018 they decided not to sign (and got a 2nd round pick as compensation). But then I remembered Hextall is gone 😅

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Lots of low price options will be available with all the non qualifications. A very dubas day tomorrow, should be interesting!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
How much of a sweetener would we need to include with DeSmith to dump him?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
How much of a sweetener would we need to include with DeSmith to dump him?
I don’t think we would need to add anything. He only makes $1.25 million, that’s relatively cheap for a backup. I don’t think he’s worth more than like a 5th round pick, but I don’t think they need to add anything to get a team to take him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would think that could mean we have an inside track on signing O’Brien when he becomes UFA on August 1st.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I don’t think we would need to add anything. He only makes $1.25 million, that’s relatively cheap for a backup. I don’t think he’s worth more than like a 5th round pick, but I don’t think they need to add anything to get a team to take him.
$1.8

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Midnight update from Elliotte Friedman, who says somewhat obviously that the crowded market has made free agency much harder to project.

No Pens news, but here you go:

I wonder if those circumstances give us kind of a perfect storm scenario: a lot of the mid shelf guys and some recent buyouts WILL be willing to take 1 or 2 year, “prove it” deals from a pseudo-contender flush with cap space like us, in the hopes that they perform well and come onto the market again next summer or in ‘25, with the cap projected to be noticeably higher.

If that’s the case Dubas could sign Freddy Andersen, and then run wild with the remaining 10m

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1m
Hearing that Ryan O'Reilly is headed to the UFA market. Leafs had interest right to the end but the UFA centre is going to market.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I see we've had a competition to find the worst possible defensive lineups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad