Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I see a lot mention they would like EROD back.

I'm not feeling the Rod tonight or anytime for that matter.

He's a great swiss army knife at times and can play with good hockey players for stints and not look out of place. He did it here when injuries hit and he did it in Colorado when they were banged up. Kudos to him for stepping up when asked to, but his stats were elevated here with Geno and in Colorado with Nate

He's not good in the circle and he's not a 3 C I would like to see back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For those of you who watch the Wild more than I do, how is Matt Dumba in terms of physicality? He's not a big player at all, he's only 6'0" and 180 lbs, but he has historically been a very physical player in terms of hits from what I can see. Is he a gritty player despite his size or is his physical presence overstated by his hits total?

Dumba is only 29, so Petry out and Dumba on a cheaper short term deal (maybe like $3.5 million a year?) would save them a good chunk of money and let them get younger. I'm just not sure how I like him as a fit with Pettersson on the 2nd pair.

If you could pull off Hanifin, trade Petry out and bring in Dumba, your defense gets way younger and faster. I'm just not sure how I feel about Pettersson-Dumba as a pair.
Dumba is only average sized, but is a bit of a physical freak. Quite strong. Very aggressive and willing hitter, decent fighter. Will not back down in scrums. Above average defensively, but not brilliant. Personally, i would rather that he was a bit less aggressive physically and saved his energy and body for offense. He still has wheels, and his shot still has some pop to it. He has above average tools, and shouldn't be wasting them fighting with 4th liners

Some of his decision making is over aggressive at times, but you'll always get high energy from him.

Happy, good dude with a sunny disposition.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Midnight update from Elliotte Friedman, who says somewhat obviously that the crowded market has made free agency much harder to project.

No Pens news, but here you go:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The excitement I feel today is almost overpowering! I cannot believe we are on the precipice of a new era in Pittsburgh hockey. Today, we take a big step forward for this team, for this franchise and for the city we love. Go get em kyle, go get em!!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The excitement I feel today is almost overpowering! I cannot believe we are on the precipice of a new era in Pittsburgh hockey. Today, we take a big step forward for this team, for this franchise and for the city we love. Go get em kyle, go get em!!
The real ones are up at 8am PST for Free Agent Frenzy with James Duthie and co.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think Dumba would have to come in decently cheap for me to consider moving Petry out and bringing him in. I think the idea is worth it if it’s the difference between being able to bring in Hanifin or not, but that would require a notable money difference. I don’t think it’s worth it to just swap out Petry for Dumba without a big money difference, the age difference isn’t enough for me.

I’m really baked right now but since it’s free agent day eve, I gotta say I appreciate all of yinz. Even if I think your opinions suck, I appreciate you.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I’m really baked right now but since it’s free agent day eve, I gotta say I appreciate all of yinz. Even if I think your opinions suck, I appreciate you.
I'm sober now, but I, too, appreciate all of you.

Thanks for being my hockey news aggregators and then turning around and analyzing it like real hockey media should.

• Haha
Reactions: Empoleon8771

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
What kind of money is Jonathan Toews looking for? Ex Selke winning, 58-60% faceoff guy, obviously more offense than most 3C candidates.

Edit: didn't realize he's dealing with long covid. Wasn't keeping up.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
IMG_0918.png

This has been a problem forever. Sid/Geno need to take the attack the slot with the puck from the halfboards and shoot more from the circles to create opportunities and defensive breakdowns. Being asymmetric and not having a right one timer doesn’t matter as much as actually being a threat to shoot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 724527

This has been a problem forever. Sid/Geno need to take the attack the slot with the puck from the halfboards and shoot more from the circles to create opportunities and defensive breakdowns. Being asymmetric and not having a right one timer doesn’t matter as much as actually being a threat to shoot.
If you can show me this in a pie chart format I can better illustrate my points as well.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What kind of money is Jonathan Toews looking for? Ex Selke winning, 58-60% faceoff guy, obviously more offense than most 3C candidates.
He's great at turning a blind eye to issues so he's a perfect fit in the dressing room if anything shady happens that might threaten the room cohesiveness.

Reactions: tom_servo

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think Dubas’ misstep of not buying out Granlund will be magnified tomorrow. I suspect we will get kicking ourselves for some signings of $5 mill or less. Not buying him out was a Hextall like mistake. Every single poster would dunk on Hextall if he was still here and he didn’t buy out Granlund.

I feel like Dubas is getting a free pass for his inaction. The reaction here seems to be he should have bought him out bud oh well.

A stupid decision is a stupid decision regardless of who the GM is.

Last edited:

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Cmon damnit, sign somebody. Anybody.
Said thing we were missing was talent. Only swapped out Zucker. Which still means we're missing talent. WTF? Get busy!!!
🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad