Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I was expecting worse numbers for Blake Wheeler last season than 55 points in 72 games. 40 even strength points.

For reference, Reilly Smith had 56 in 78 (42 EV).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Given who was not qualified, there's a plethora of good young talent worth taking chances on.

Steel
Geekie
Sprong
Comtois
Gurianov
Kostin
Yamamoto
Jost
White
Fischer
Boqvist
Malgin

And in addition to the current UFAs that I like:

Sunqvist
Suter
Duchene
Wheeler
Soucy
Brown
Kerfoot
Compher
ERod

We should be able to sign a decent bottom 6.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Read today that Wheeler's transition game is gone. Hard pass.

I also think Smith for 3rd and the Rakell/Carter trades are even on paper given circumstances. Cap space in the off season is one hell of a drug.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Boeser is a 1 dimensional forward that played with better linemates

Boeser's most common line mates were Di Giuseppe and Miller versus Smith having Karlsson and Nic Roy.

Also, if we are talking intangibles Smith has a lot. I just don't think he is what I'd consider a "great addition". He's another Rust, Rakell, Granlund (in his prime) type. Solid two way forward who can play all situations, positional flexibility, but I think Vegas is a better team replacing Smith with Barbashev.

You brought up EV Strength production. I'm just saying Smith is 90th amongst forwards last season. That's good especially for his usage. But last year was one of his best years. Would it surprise anyone to see him come here, struggle and be a bit of a disappointment at 32?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Not saying this isn’t the correct strategy but…didn’t we rip into Hextall for this same exact strategy?

Yeah, I'm not buying this. At all.

Dubas and Co will be aggressive in getting the guys they want.

Maybe if there's a 4RW job open and someone comes to him, maybe then. Big positions to fill or trades to make, he'll be aggressive.

Reactions: Lustaf

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which is after 3PM. Time of the call.

Again, what are you arguing here?

Trades get announced after the 3 PM deadline literally every year. If I remember right, we heard that Rakell was going to Pittsburgh, then heard it was a 2nd with Simon and ZAR going out for cap reasons and then Clang was also included.

Reactions: Rave7215

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can we not talk about a 2022 trade deadline deal and look ahead to 2023 free agency?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not the biggest name but I’d be all about brining in Jaret Anderson-Dolan since he wasn’t qualified. Could be a good Poehling replacement

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Again, what are you arguing here?

Trades get announced after the 3 PM deadline literally every year. If I remember right, we heard that Rakell was going to Pittsburgh, then heard it was a 2nd with Simon and ZAR going out for cap reasons and then Clang was also included.

Nobody knew who the prospect was at the time of the trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nobody knew who the prospect was at the time of the trade.

According to twitter, the timing of the deal was:

-Rakell to Pittsburgh was announced at 3:05 PM
-Rakell going for a 2nd and a prospect was announced at about 3:40 PM
-Simon and ZAR going out was announced at about 4:00 PM
-The total deal, which announced Clang was going in the trade, was announced at 4:20 PM

It was like an hour gap.

I wanna call my future kid that but the missus is adamantly opposed

I want to call my future kid "doesn't exist" because I don't want it to exist

Reactions: Peat

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
I’m extremely type A to the point I never envision truly retiring so I get why people need to continue to occupy their minds but how the f*** do you not f*** off and go golf for the rest of your life if you’re Babcock lmaoo

Coach your grandkids peweee team or do a podcast if you need your competitive fix
I'll pass on the golf part, but I'm all in on the f*** off and do something else train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad