Pens Off day/season thread “Useless information edition”

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
From Rossi’s Athletic article here are the top 10 most powerful/influential Penguins (staff and players)

1. Sid
  2. Sully
  3. Geno
  4. JR
  5. Murray
  6. Morehouse
  7. Gonchar
  8. Schultz
  9. Acklin
  10. Letang

My favorite comment on that article was the one where someone argued that Murray couldn't be a good leader in the future because his vacation home is in a secluded area and he chose to elope instead of having a big wedding.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My favorite comment on that article was the one where someone argued that Murray couldn't be a good leader in the future because his vacation home is in a secluded area and he chose to elope instead of having a big wedding.

Wow. Facebook infiltrating the Athletic. Article says JR wants him locked up long term up to double his AAV. This part is interesting........

He is ticketed to one day supplant Crosby as face of the franchise. He knows it, too.” - Rossi

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Wow. Facebook infiltrating the Athletic. Article says JR wants him locked up long term up to double his AAV. This part is interesting........

He is ticketed to one day supplant Crosby as face of the franchise. He knows it, too.” - Rossi

I thought that was interesting too, because it seems like you could read it a couple of different ways. Rossi is either calling Murray arrogant or saying that Murray knows he'll probably have a big role to play on the team if he's still around when Sid and Geno retire. Rossi definitely knows the fanbase, so I assume he was trying to stir shit as usual. Murray has mentioned in the past that he wants to be more of a leader in the locker room.

Reactions: td_ice

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I thought that was interesting too, because it seems like you could read it a couple of different ways. Rossi is either calling Murray arrogant or saying that Murray knows he'll probably have a big role to play on the team if he's still around when Sid and Geno retire. Rossi definitely knows the fanbase, so I assume he was trying to stir **** as usual. Murray has mentioned in the past that he wants to be more of a leader in the locker room.

Yeah I took at as not an arrogant thing but the club has spoken to him and really built up their expectations of him going forward. So he knows it in that regard of the feedback he gets.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Think he has to play a full season first at least.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Think he has to play a full season first at least.

I prefer to have goalies in the 50-60 range so he’s kind of there in that regard (55 is my ideal). Goalies can get ridden hard in the season to fizzle out in the playoffs. Better if the reason is to give him some breaks instead of injury though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I prefer to have goalies in the 50-60 range so he’s kind of there in that regard (55 is my ideal). Goalies can get ridden hard in the season to fizzle out in the playoffs. Better if the reason is to give him some breaks instead of injury though.
Next season is the true test. The last 2 he's been injury prone and while one had a lot of personal turmoil with tragedy, the last season he took too long to getting back to good after a mystery injury.

This next season he needs to be a rock. He is a guy that has elite levels in him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I took at as not an arrogant thing but the club has spoken to him and really built up their expectations of him going forward. So he knows it in that regard of the feedback he gets.

Yeah, I’m not sure that’s a good thing. My impression of MM to date is that he’s at his best when he plays an underdog role...he’s not shown yet that he embraces being “the man” and seems to need to be pushed by another goalie for the starter position...but we’ll see...I hope they wait and don’t sign him to a new contract until they see how his season goes..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So it's sounding like the Pens really want to re-sign Schultz. And that he'd be happy to stay.

They should if you look at the advanced stats for the Pens with and without Schultz in the lineup, but he’s not a top 2 defender and they shouldn’t be paying him $7 mil per year...need him to stay at $6 mil or below...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I’m not sure that’s a good thing. My impression of MM to date is that he’s at his best when he plays an underdog role...he’s not shown yet that he embraces being “the man” and seems to need to be pushed by another goalie for the starter position...but we’ll see...I hope they wait and don’t sign him to a new contract until they see how his season goes..

He’s been the man in two cup runs and was 100% not an issue last season.

People have to remember like defensemen, goaltenders tend to get better with age. If Murray continues to play like he did last year and throughout the two cup runs. He should be the franchise face.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s been the man in two cup runs and was 100% not an issue last season.

No, he wasn’t...MAF was here...it’s all a mindset...he had issues this past season too and didn’t put it together until DeSmith was showing him up in the starter role after yet another injury...still think he has to prove he can be that calm collected presence he was in the 2016 and 2017 Cup runs as the full time unquestioned starter...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Murray seemed have a confidence during the back to back runs that bordered on arrogance. Hasn’t seemed like that’s been the case the last 2 years. I hope he gets back to that because that is what made him one of my favorite players.

Reactions: Andy99

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Not to take away anything from MM, but I'm having a hard time of thinking of any goalie who became the face of a franchise and didn't implode because of it.

Brodeur is probably the last one. Even then Stevens was the face when they were winning cups.

Lundqvist didn’t implode but the Rangers sure helped prove that building from the net out probably isn’t the way to do it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Brodeur is probably the last one. Even then Stevens was the face when they were winning cups.

Lundqvist didn’t implode but the Rangers sure helped prove that building from the net out probably isn’t the way to do it.

Good call. And I really don’t know if Brodeur would be nearly as effective in the modern game, with its new equipment and stick handling rules and the salary cap.

I think you shouldn’t go super cheap on your backstop, but at the same time, outside of promotional and marketing purposes, I question the wisdom of making any goalie the center of a cap team. But as always, I could be wrong about this. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad