Pens/NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
I'm sure many are aware of the alleged trade that the Pens and NYR "had in place" had the Pens won the lottery... So, bearing in mind that none of us are GMs, I have a hypothetical situation for Pens fans...

You dont honestly think that the pens would have traded ovechkin for anything the Rangers have i hope.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
BobMarleyNYR said:
My distinguished Pens fans! What are you're feelings on trading the 2nd overall (and thus Malkin) for the 6th overall, Jamie Lundmark, rights to R.J. Umberger and the 37th OR 44th overall?

I know the Pens are in need of big time, franchise center, but Olesz's likelihood of falling to 6th overall seems to be growing by the day... give me your thoughts!

If I was a Pens fan I'd want this deal. 4 solid prospects for 1. That deal would give the Pens the largest, deepest talent pool of young players and prospects in the entire NHL. Fleury, Malone, Orpik, Whitney, Beech etc and then Lundmark, Umberger plus the two '04 picks.

It's way too much... but i wouldn't doubt it.

You'd probably also see another Pitts foreward go with Malkin. NYR's need a few guys to fill lines and the pens seem to have a bunch of pro-ready young players.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
mazmin said:
If I was a Pens fan I'd want this deal. 4 solid prospects for 1. That deal would give the Pens the largest, deepest talent pool of young players and prospects in the entire NHL. Fleury, Malone, Orpik, Whitney, Beech etc and then Lundmark, Umberger plus the two '04 picks.

You'd probably also see another Pitts foreward go with Malkin. NYR's need a few guys to fill lines and the pens seem to have a bunch of pro-ready young players.

:shakehead Please read the rest of the thread stating what the Pens have, and what they need. This helps them out in no way at all. They already have a glut of prospects...They need a home run hitter....That's it.

Prucha73

mazmin said:

what?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I know they need a star.

What I was trying to get at is that say they get Olesz/Tukonen/Schremp or Ladd at number 6. Now factor in the Potential Stardom of Lundmark, Umberger and the best player left they get with the other first round pick. It's a game of odds boys. Malkin could be the next Daigle, Bonsignore, Wickenheiser, Lawton. It's safe to take four very good prospects over one great prospect.

I realize Malkin is good, but we have no way of knowing which deal will benefit whom for at least five years.

Prucha73

mazmin said:
I know they need a star.

What I was trying to get at is that say they get Olesz/Tukonen/Schremp or Ladd at number 6. Now factor in the Potential Stardom of Lundmark, Umberger and the best player left they get with the other first round pick. It's a game of odds boys. Malkin could be the next Daigle, Bonsignore, Wickenheiser, Lawton. It's safe to take four very good prospects over one great prospect.

I realize Malkin is good, but we have no way of knowing which deal will benefit whom for at least five years.

They will take "hometown discount" Umberger anyway, since Rangers will not sign him.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Nobody the Rangers have (prospect wise) is even close to Malkin. If you dont believe me, pick up a copy of THN. After Ovechkin and Malkin, its like a game of darts. Those two are the consensus 1 and 2. Malkin is finally starting to get the hype he deserves. THN compares Malkin to a mix of Joe Thornton and Joe Sakic. Thats quite the comparison. If you want Malkin, your going to have to overpay, plain and simple. Your first this year, plus Jessiman, and Tjutin for Malkin. It may be a lot, but its the only way CP is going to move the 2nd overall pick. If thats too steep, I wouldnt blame anyone for turning a deal like that down - but with that said we would be extremely satisfied with Malkin.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Til the End of Time said:
Has Umberger actually said he would give the pens a hometown discount or are people just dreaming about the local kid coming home?
Oh, he's said it. ALOT!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pens4ever said:
I think they've moved on from that gateway drug onto much more powerful mind distorting drugs...or they're just Rag$ fans.

Real class act we got here, kids. Real class act.

And onto the offers: Neither the Pens nor the Rags will do any of these deals. They deplete the Rags of their prospects that they've been building up and they take away what Pittsburgh was comming into this draft badly looking for: A #1 center prospect.

I'd rather keep Tyutin (whom I feel is much better than the streaky as anything Whitney) and the rest of our prospects than get one guy. One guy does not make a team.

And I'm sure the Pens would much rather get their last real needed cog and start contending than have to deal with a whole slew of guys they already have and such on their team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Til the End of Time said:
Has Umberger actually said he would give the pens a hometown discount or are people just dreaming about the local kid coming home?

Yeah. The idiot mouthed off about it to the press and showed no desire to even show off his skills during his brief practice. He was a lazy bum and showed no sign of even wanting to play.

You know what? Let his ass go and give his "hometown discount" and play there. I wouldn't want some numbskull like that on my team anyway.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Sounds a whole lot like wishful thinking . . . I am still trying to figure out how the Caps got the Rags to take him with all of his past baggage, and especially his salary and potential cap ramifications. I constantly read here in the NY boards how if we got the rights to AO we could not sign him and would gladly send him to NY for less than the indians got for Manhattan (and similar has been said of Malkin and us at times) . . .and we would take on Jagr's salary? How inconsistent is that. That is one rumor that has no legs at all.

you are complete misunderstanding the WHOLE concept...

jagr makes $11 mil/year, the caps are paying $5 mil and he defered $1 mil/year till after the deal, so it is costing the rangers only $5 mil/year. IF the rangers picked up $4 mil/year, it would cost the pens only $1 mil/year...which is less than ovechkin/malkin would get under the rookie max and it would eliminate the transfer fee in which their russian teams can demand anything they want...

i'm not saying that it would happen, but paying jagr $1 mil/year and paying $5 mil to dynamo for ovechkin's transfer are 2 completely different things

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Reveille said:
I'd rather keep Tyutin (whom I feel is much better than the streaky as anything Whitney) and the rest of our prospects than get one guy.

Why do you say that?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrKnowNothing said:
Why do you say that?

I've watched him play throughout his college career.

He has a FANTASTIC set of skills but he really is streaky. Some games he's fantastic, others he looks lost. He really needs to strengthen his overall game.

Yeah, he's going to be a decent player but I'd like to see him get more consistency in his play.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Reveille said:
I've watched him play throughout his college career.

He has a FANTASTIC set of skills but he really is streaky. Some games he's fantastic, others he looks lost. He really needs to strengthen his overall game.

Yeah, he's going to be a decent player but I'd like to see him get more consistency in his play.

So far he has been anything but a streaky pro, and his team sucked last year. When a defensemen is far and away the best player on the team, you're in trouble.

I'd rather have Whitney than Tyutin, but I agree with everything else you said.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrKnowNothing said:
So far he has been anything but a streaky pro, and his team sucked last year. When a defensemen is far and away the best player on the team, you're in trouble.

I'd rather have Whitney than Tyutin, but I agree with everything else you said.

It's just a matter of opinion (and A - you're a Pens fan and B - I'm a Rag fan :P), really. I think they will both turn out to be great pros (and I hope so also - I never want to see a kid fail).

You know? It's great we have these guys to watch also. Hah. I don't know. I feel very nice with having an actual prospect system now...

Prucha73

craig1 said:
You do realize that June 1st is 5 hours away......why would Umberger sign now?

he wouldn't, he will likely sign with Penguins and we will get a #46 pick as compensation.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Prucha73 said:
he wouldn't, he will likely sign with Penguins and we will get a #46 pick as compensation.

I believe all the pens and rangers fans for the most part feel this will happen also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig