Pens/NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Prucha73 said:
Here you say that Balej is not impressive :shakehead Make up you mind or go see an eye doctor.

I said he wasn't that impressive in his stint up with the Rangers.

Perhaps you should go see the eye doctor.

Prucha73

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
I said he wasn't that impressive in his stint up with the Rangers.

Perhaps you should go see the eye doctor.

He was impressive both with Rangers and Wolfpack, this is ridiculous

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
NYR469 said:
ok forgetting about a swap of young players or picks because given the situations of the pens and rangers, i can't see any combination coming up that would work for both sides...here is a completely different (and interesting spin) mentioned in blueshirt bulletin (which is a paper that covers the rangers)...and i'm curious to hear what pens fans think about it...

the rumor was supposedly talked about when the pens were set to get the #1 pick, but apparantly has stopped now that they have the #2...

the rumor was that the rangers would send jagr back to pittsburgh for the pick...but (and this is where it gets interesting) the rangers would pick up a huge chunk of jagr's remaining salary after the $$ the caps are paying. so basically the pens would be getting jagr back and it would only cost them about $1 mil/year...

assuming that jagr would help sell tons of tickets for the pens and maybe even help their chances for a new arena, would a deal like this interest them??

from a player standpoint, it might not make a great deal of sense for a rebuilding team, but from a financial standpoint i thought it was a rather interesting and creative idea (and obviously this is probably a simplified watered down version of things)...do pen fans have any thoughts on the idea?
where did the blueshirt bulletin hear this from? because no pittsburgh papers has mentioned this at all.

jagr woudn't be a good fit on this current team. he's already 32 and although i'm a big fan of his i don't know how well his reception would be by most pens fans. if we had gotten ovechkin, i think i speak for most pens fans in saying we'd much rather have ovechkin.

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
where did the blueshirt bulletin hear this from? because no pittsburgh papers has mentioned this at all.

jagr woudn't be a good fit on this current team. he's already 32 and although i'm a big fan of his i don't know how well his reception would be by most pens fans. if we had gotten ovechkin, i think i speak for most pens fans in saying we'd much rather have ovechkin.

Would you do it for Malkin if we threw in our 24 Overall?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:

well as a fan, i'd rather have ovechkin or malkin than jagr at this point on a team in the pens situation as well, so i agree with you there...but how bad is the financial situation? because that is the only way it could possibly make sense for the pens, if it helped out the financial situation and the long term stability of the franchise...it would have to be a $$-motived deal.

i just thought it was an interesting, "thinking outside of the box" idea...

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:

they don't name their sources, but since it not likely to happen, i'm more presenting the idea as a hypothetical, what do you think type of thing...not as something that will happen

The Pens Are Back*

i watched the few games balej played with new york....i didn't think he was impressive

with hartford he looked good. but , that flashiness will get his head knocked off in the bigs

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Prucha73 said:
He was impressive both with Rangers and Wolfpack, this is ridiculous

My man, he had 1 goal in 17 games. He was getting close to 13 minutes of ice time a game.

He also looked lost out there at times.

As I said, he wasn't that impressive when he played for the Rangers.

What is ridiculous is that you think he was impressive. Total homerism.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
gettougher said:
i watched the few games balej played with new york....i didn't think he was impressive

with hartford he looked good. but , that flashiness will get his head knocked off in the bigs
huh?

aside from Tjutin he was probably the most impressive youngster, and next to Tjutin and Jagr he was probably our best player

he was very impressive

The Pens Are Back*

that's not saying much

how many times did tyutin fall to 1 knee on a fake slapshot and the man go around him?

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Alex Kovalev said:
You got that right.

#2 for #6, Balej, 1st in 2005. You want Malkin, your going to have to overpay.
what a crock to make such a bold statement

are you an insider?

blue shirt bulletin had this trade in their article and they are as legit as it gets, as well as other insiders roaming this board

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
in the hall said:
what a crock to make such a bold statement

are you an insider?

blue shirt bulletin had this trade in their article and they are as legit as it gets, as well as other insiders roaming this board

Legit? The NY media has every player going to NY, no matter if there is logic behind the deal or not.

CP dislikes Sather for the power trip he tried pull over on him in the Jagr trade. He even admitted he doesn't hold Sather in high regards.

He called Sather right before he traded Jagr to the Caps, just to let him know that there was nothing he could do to get Jagr.

You really think CP wouldn't make Sather pay through the teeth to get Malkin?

Some Ranger fans need to be more realistic. Those who are, I apologize.

Last edited:

Prucha73

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Legit? The NY media has every player going to NY, no matter if there is logic behind the deal or not.

CP dislikes Sather for the power trip he tried pull over on him in the Jagr trade. He even admitted he doesn't hold Sather in high regards.

He called Sather right before he traded Jagr to the Caps, just to let him know that there was nothing he could do to get Jagr.

You really think CP wouldn't make Sather pay through the teeth to get Malkin?

Some Ranger fans need to be more realistic. Those who are, I apologize.

In any case we have to thank CP for Balej, Lacouture and our #49 pick this year, enjoy your Fata :joker:

Prucha73

Pens4ever said:
AK didn't say it. The stats did.

There is more than stats involved, Balej could have easily had 7 more points he was playing great and is a great playmaker as well.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
You're right there is more than stats involved.

Koltsov was great this season. His defense was excellent for a rookie and he DOES hit. You have to watch him play to see.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Regarding Olesz/Malkin, I don't agree. They were closely ranked for a while, but it is clear now that Malkin is number 2 behind Ovechkin, and if anything, there's more competition between Ovechkin/Malkin than Malkin/Olesz. I say this because some people have Barker, Tukonen, or even Ladd ahead of Olesz.

Factor in that Malkin is pretty much a year younger than Olesz development wise, and there's no reason to believe right now that Olesz will be a better player in the future.

Malkin has impressed a scout enough to say that he would think about taking him number one, but chicken out. Given Ovechkin's longstanding pedigree as one of the best prospects in a while, and that's a pretty hefty compliment. I haven't seen the same thing said about Olesz ever.

That said, the draft is pretty much a crap shoot. In 15 years, we might look back and say that Olesz was the best player. Maybe Ladd. Maybe Ovechkin. Maybe Malkin. Maybe Tukonen. Maybe Schremp. Etc.

But as of now it's clearly #1 Ovechkin and #2 Malkin.

The Pens Are Back*

Prucha73 said:
In any case we have to thank CP for Balej, Lacouture and our #49 pick this year, enjoy your Fata :joker:

funny, cause when fata was a ranger J.D. used to love his energy.

homerism starts with the leader

Prucha73

MrKnowNothing said:
Regarding Olesz/Malkin, I don't agree. They were closely ranked for a while, but it is clear now that Malkin is number 2 behind Ovechkin, and if anything, there's more competition between Ovechkin/Malkin than Malkin/Olesz. I say this because some people have Barker, Tukonen, or even Ladd ahead of Olesz.

Factor in that Malkin is pretty much a year younger than Olesz development wise, and there's no reason to believe right now that Olesz will be a better player in the future.

Malkin has impressed a scout enough to say that he would think about taking him number one, but chicken out. Given Ovechkin's longstanding pedigree as one of the best prospects in a while, and that's a pretty hefty compliment. I haven't seen the same thing said about Olesz ever.

That said, the draft is pretty much a crap shoot. In 15 years, we might look back and say that Olesz was the best player. Maybe Ladd. Maybe Ovechkin. Maybe Malkin. Maybe Tukonen. Maybe Schremp. Etc.

But as of now it's clearly #1 Ovechkin and #2 Malkin.

I think Malkin is better than Olesz, but not by that much. In any case I really want Tukonen.

Prucha73

gettougher said:
funny, cause when fata was a ranger J.D. used to love his energy.

homerism starts with the leader

Nothing wrong with Fata, he is a good player and I like him, but we got way more than expected for Fata in the long run: 2nd round pick, Balej and Lacouture.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
Balej already made the NHL and he played great, he is not Boom or Bust he plays a solid 2 way game and his speed makes him very dangerous. And nobody is compairing Balej to Malkin, completely different players, but at this point I would stick with Balej because he is a sure thing, Malkin could still not pan out and he already had a concussion.

Koltsov is not physical enough to be a grinder. You want a 3rd line grinder look at Ortmeyer and Murray, both great skaters and finish their checks every shift.

Damn dude have you ever seen Koltsov play. :shakehead

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Prucha -- You called Balej Established. How is a 17 game NHL established? He is an established AHLer as of May 30, 2004.

Malkin is being underrated in here by non-pens fans lol

Malkin has 90 pt upside. Balaj would be happy to have half of that.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
My man, he had 1 goal in 17 games. He was getting close to 13 minutes of ice time a game.

He also looked lost out there at times.

As I said, he wasn't that impressive when he played for the Rangers.

What is ridiculous is that you think he was impressive. Total homerism.
Mat Murley only had 1 goal and 2 points in 18 games and I was very impressed with him (although he is a differant player, the stats don't always tell the whole truth).
But for prucha to say Koltsov isn't physical is just plain wrong. Not only is the guy strong as an ox with a mean streak, he'll take a beating in front of the net. He also has wheels that would put Fata to shame, and Ranger fans should know how fast Fata is. Koltsov could be a 60 point guy, but will most likely put up 40-50 points a year over his career and I would be VERY happy with that. Koltsov is my second favorite player behind only Lemieux and I wouldn't trade him for the world (just an expression ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad