Pens/NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'm sure many are aware of the alleged trade that the Pens and NYR "had in place" had the Pens won the lottery... So, bearing in mind that none of us are GMs, I have a hypothetical situation for Pens fans...

NYR -- 6th, 24th, 36th, 37th , 44th, 48th overall and a 2nd round comp.
PIT -- 2nd overall, quite a few late 2nd rounders, if I'm not mistaken.

My distinguished Pens fans! What are you're feelings on trading the 2nd overall (and thus Malkin) for the 6th overall, Jamie Lundmark, rights to R.J. Umberger and the 37th OR 44th overall?

I know the Pens are in need of big time, franchise center, but Olesz's likelihood of falling to 6th overall seems to be growing by the day... give me your thoughts!

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
As a Rangers fan Im against this trade.

Too much to give up for one player who still has to prove himself like any other. The Rangers should draft every single player we can since we lack so much depth, unless a trade to move up comes along. ie: 24th + 2nd to move up into mid teens.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
MisterUnspoken said:
As a Rangers fan Im against this trade.

Too much to give up for one player who still has to prove himself like any other. The Rangers should draft every single player we can since we lack so much depth, unless a trade to move up comes along. ie: 24th + 2nd to move up into mid teens.
I agree. I feel like the gap between Olesz and Malkin isn't as big as you guys think. So I would rather wait and see if Olesz falls to us at #6.

Bure9*

Malkin is better than any other player they can grab at number 6 or at 24. I would be willing to give up a few key assets to grab a future 1st line center like Malkin. If the Pens are seriously shopping the pick it must be as a result of their financial position. I would expect money in the deal, as well.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Bure9 said:
Malkin is better than any other player they can grab at number 6 or at 24. I would be willing to give up a few key assets to grab a future 1st line center like Malkin. If the Pens are seriously shopping the pick it must be as a result of their financial position. I would expect money in the deal, as well.
Well, I think that Olesz will be a first-line Center, just as Malkin will. Olesz is also more versatile, in that he can play wing, as well. The Rangers need those picks to add more scoring prospects and defenseman into their system.

Bure9*

Broadway Crosby said:
Well, I think that Olesz will be a first-line Center, just as Malkin will. Olesz is also more versatile, in that he can play wing, as well. The Rangers need those picks to add more scoring prospects and defenseman into their system.

Czech prospects scare me for some reason. Olesz sounds a little too much like Michalek to me. I like the fact that he can play a two-way game but is his offense good enough to be a top line player? I like his vesatility, as well, but someone on this board has said that his future may be at wing since he seems to play better there.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Bure9 said:
Czech prospects scare me for some reason. Olesz sounds a little too much like Michalek to me. I like the fact that he can play a two-way game but is his offense good enough to be a top line player? I like his vesatility, as well, but someone on this board has said that his future may be at wing since he seems to play better there.
I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. What's wrong with Michalek? I think he will be a great player, and I think that Olesz has more offensive ability than him, and Michalek has good offensive ability. Olesz's offensive ability is DEFINITELY good enough for a top-line position, and his defensive skills are probably one of the best in the draft. Olesz should be an All-Star year in and year out.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Bure9 said:

AGREED! Thank you! I like Olesz very much, but I thiunk we should go with a player who is sure to produce MULTITUDES of offense... this means a risk and likely a lack of this versatility that Olesz and Ladd possess, but I say take the VERY good, with the bad (the risk factor).

Schremp, Radulov, even Picard are looking more attractive to me everyday... don't take that the wrong way.

As far as it being too much to sacrifice -- IMO, Lundmark can be a good player... in the right atmosphere. And I don't know if Times Square is the best place for him anymore. Umberger is going to PIT either way, so we'd have to throw in some one other pick, or they won't bite (retaining the 24th, of course).

Even if Olesz is not far behind Malkin, let me be a mathmatician and say the chances of him being available at no. 6 are 40%... 39.6% to be exact.

I'm looking for the best combination of security and talent... this may very well be the most successful draft in decades for this team. I don't care HOW shallow it is.

Last edited:

Bure9*

BobMarleyNYR said:
AGREED! Thank you! I like Olesz very much, but I thiunk we should go with a player who is sure to produce offense... this means a risk and likely a lack of this versatility that Olesz and Ladd possess, but I say take the VERY good, with the bad.

Schremp, Radulov, even Picard are looking more attractive to me everyday... Tdon't take that the wrong way.

As far as it being to much to sacrifice -- IMO, Lundmark can be a good player... in the right atmosphere. And I don't know if Times Square is the best place for him anymore. Umberger is going to PIT either way, so we'd have to throw in some one other pick, or they won't bite (retaining the 24th, of course).

Even if Olesz is not far behind Malkin, let me be a mathmatician and say the chances of him being available at no. 6 are 40%... 39.6% to be exact.

I'm looking for the best combination of security and talent... this may very well be the most successful draft in decades for this time. I don't care HOW shallow it is.

I expect Olesz to go at number 3, anyway. I just think that now is the time to make the move for the big top line center that the Rangers need. This opportunity may not present itself for a while, especially with the lockout looming. Rangers fans talk about drafting Crosby, but we all know that the Rangers never finish low enough to get a crack at the number one pick, even the number 2 (Gilbert Brule?). One thing is for sure, Sather definitely has the balls to pull this off. Make it happen!!!

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
I'm sure many are aware of the alleged trade that the Pens and NYR "had in place" had the Pens won the lottery... So, bearing in mind that none of us are GMs, I have a hypothetical situation for Pens fans...

There has been absolutely no word out of Pittsburgh of a deal between the Rags and Pens had the Pens won the lottery. Where did you hear this from? Cp is the most frustratingly patient GM in the game. He would not have a trade in place that far in advance. He would wait til right before the draft, and exhaust every last option, and a few extra that only exist in alternate realities.....

The Pens have all but "officially" stated that Malikin is their man. The front-office has "unofficially" told the press so. The Pens biggest and only glaring weakness as fae as prospects go is a front-line playmaking center....which Malkin is.

They do not need extra picks or prospects. They have an dearth of excess ones already. They are actually in a situation where they may trade up in other areas of the draft to reduce the number of prospects, and attempt to get an additional hihgly touted player.....like trading up into the middle of the 1st, using the 1st second rounder pick + more picks, etc.

From a Pens standpoint, this makes absolutely zero sense.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
BobMarleyNYR said:
AGREED! Thank you! I like Olesz very much, but I thiunk we should go with a player who is sure to produce MULTITUDES of offense...

(SPECULATION: who is to say he would produce MORE?)

As far as it being too much to sacrifice -- IMO, Lundmark can be a good player... in the right atmosphere

(yeah the right atmosphere being here in NY, with the NEW Rangers. Why you all want to give up on Lundmark is beyond me)

Umberger is going to PIT either way, so we'd have to throw in some one other pick, or they won't bite (retaining the 24th, of course).

(how do you know this? Umberger could very well sign with any team in the NHL if he wants to)

(So take the best player available)

I'm looking for the best combination of security and talent... this may very well be the most successful draft in decades for this team. I don't care HOW shallow it is.

(Because its the only draft where we actually have enough selections to do something with)

Prucha73

how about this trade: Ortmeyer, Tyutin, Josh Green, #24th?, #49 to Penguins for #2, #31, 3rd rounder about #66

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
craig1 said:
There has been absolutely no word out of Pittsburgh of a deal between the Rags and Pens had the Pens won the lottery. Where did you hear this from? Cp is the most frustratingly patient GM in the game. He would not have a trade in place that far in advance. He would wait til right before the draft, and exhaust every last option, and a few extra that only exist in alternate realities.....

The Pens have all but "officially" stated that Malikin is their man. The front-office has "unofficially" told the press so. The Pens biggest and only glaring weakness as fae as prospects go is a front-line playmaking center....which Malkin is.

They do not need extra picks or prospects. They have an dearth of excess ones already. They are actually in a situation where they may trade up in other areas of the draft to reduce the number of prospects, and attempt to get an additional hihgly touted player.....like trading up into the middle of the 1st, using the 1st second rounder pick + more picks, etc.

From a Pens standpoint, this makes absolutely zero sense.

Understood. And as I said, it was "alleged." Don't think I materialized this on my own. I've heard this in a number of places from people I take seriously. But, I'm just speculating.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Prucha73 said:
how about this trade: Ortmeyer, Tyutin, Josh Green, #24th?, #49 to Penguins for #2, #31, 3rd rounder about #66

No. I want to keep Tyutin, Ortmeyer, and our picks.

Why the fugg do the Penguins need Josh Green or Ortmeyer or Tyutin for that matter. Ryan Whitney is only about 5x better than Tyutin. And then they have Orpik among others. I doubt the Pens even look at this offer as a legitimate option.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
MisterUnspoken said:

Why the fugg do the Penguins need Josh Green or Ortmeyer or Tyutin for that matter. Ryan Whitney is only about 5x better than Tyutin. And then they have Orpik among others. I doubt the Pens even look at this offer as a legitimate option.

Exactly....This would not help either team.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
Understood. And as I said, it was "alleged." Don't think I materialized this on my own. I've heard this in a number of places from people I take seriously. But, I'm just speculating.

I didn't think you were making it up....It's probably something from a Rangers board somewhere else that you read. That's cool. I just wanted to clear up that it was a "Larry-Brooks-esque" rumor.......hmmm....was Larry posting on the board by chance? :lol

Bure9*

craig1 said:
I didn't think you were making it up....It's probably something from a Rangers board somewhere else that you read. That's cool. I just wanted to clear up that it was a "Larry-Brooks-esque" rumor.......hmmm....was Larry posting on the board by chance? :lol

It wasn't a Larry Brooks rumor.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Prucha73 said:

AHHH! Good sentiments, but Tjutin is like no. 2 on my untouchable list... behind Lundqvist (barring a deal for say Oullet or Lehtonen). Ortmeyer, I regard as quite valuable but expendable... Green - why not? He could be good for the Pens, and he was decent in his 2nd stint in NY.

24th overall... if we wanted Malkin THAT bad. Otherwise, I think the 24th is what makes this draft so secure and promising for us... along with 36 & 37. However, you mentioned 31st which is an excellent steal position IF we play our cards right. Actually, I think TB is poised to make the biggest steal in years.

I'm actually considering this now... but Tjutin would have to mean Orpik!

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
The Pens have quantity. Just look at our AHL team. Basically all prospects or guys who figure to contribute next year like TK. And we have guys like Talbot and possibly Christensen coming in next year, plus defensemen in the ECHL like Fata and Roleau.

We need quality. Malkin is Quality. Not Ortmeyer.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
MisterUnspoken said:

You got that right.

#2 for #6, Balej, 1st in 2005. You want Malkin, your going to have to overpay.

Prucha73

Pens4ever said:
The Pens have quantity. Just look at our AHL team. Basically all prospects or guys who figure to contribute next year like TK. And we have guys like Talbot and possibly Christensen coming in next year, plus defensemen in the ECHL like Fata and Roleau.

We need quality. Malkin is Quality. Not Ortmeyer.

Have you seen Ortmeyer play? Tyutin and whoever you take at #24 is Quality as well. As far as I can see your AHl team is almost the same as our AHL team and most of those players are not really good enough for NHL.

Prucha73

Alex Kovalev said:
You got that right.

#2 for #6, Balej, 1st in 2005. You want Malkin, your going to have to overpay.

are you a moron? Nobody thinks that highly of Malkin to overpay that much. I think Balej alone is as good or better than Malkin.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

Wow... my ideas have been dismantled :cry:

Lundmark -- maybe you're right. I'm soft with players though. I have a hard time separating the human being from the hockey player. I just see how he struggles and hear what others say. I think he's been effective on PK.

How do I know any of the aforementioned players will produce more than Olesz? I don't. No one knows. The draft is always an uncertain gamble... but whether you say so or not, Radulov and Schremp reportedly have more offensive upside than Olesz. REPORTEDLY being the key word, 'cause none of us are scouts.

Who's a better all-around player? Olesz, (slight drop-off), Radulov, Schremp... in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad