TSN: Pens Interested in Plekanec

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Vegas could've picked Hudon. That doesn't mean anything.

A center like Plekanec is a more valuable commodity than an inconsistent 3rd pairing defenseman being paid 4M.

and hudon wasnt worth a 3rd at the time either because no1 had seen him play

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
and hudon wasnt worth a 3rd at the time either because no1 had seen him play

Plenty of people had seen him play, and he was already a better asset than either Emelin or Plekanec at the time.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Stop overrating prospects? It’s a matter of literally watching the Pens playing and seeing ZAR sit in front of the net and bring a physical game. That’s a fact. That’s not overrating. He might not reach Hornqvists caliber but no one in the league aside from Simmonds does, especially not 5 foot 9 Gallagher hahah

If the Pens don’t think ZAR will replace Hornqvist then hey simple fix.... re-sign Hornqvist... why trade Sprong+ for Gallagher when we can literally keep the more effective player?

Also 50 points is pretty average, it’s not MASSIVELY wishful thinking to assume a guy like Sprong will hit 50 come on now
I can understand you not wanting to add to Sprong but Gallagher is the better and more effective player.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
For Pleky I would take a 2nd in 2018 and a 3rd in 2019 and be very happy.

He isn't worth that at all ... rental and he would probably be resigning there in the offseason, so ... yes, you would be very happy, but prepare not to be very happy based on the likely return.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Hornqvist is a 50 point winger playing with Crosby, you think Sprong will never hit 50 points playing with Crosby? Oh boy.

Hornqvist’s grit and net front presence is already being replaced by Aston-Reese. Not to mention Rust is a gritty player himself.

And not even considering the fact that Gallagher probably isn’t even available for those pieces. MTL would need a center, which you didn’t offer and is another reason why it wasn’t a good proposal.

I certainly don't think Sprong would hit 50 with Sid. I think those who believe that are grossly overrating Daniel Sprong. To me, he is the forward equal to D. Pouliot in Pittsburgh and he will be moved sooner than later.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Plenty of people had seen him play, and he was already a better asset than either Emelin or Plekanec at the time.

I dunno what ur arguing about here tho. Both Pekanec and Emelin are long time vets in the NHL, their value is pretty much known by GMs across the league. Plekanec is garbage, he won't fetch much. At best maybe a team gets desperate for a C and gives us a late 2nd (if the C market is weak) for him, i expect to get a 3rd back tho.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I can understand you not wanting to add to Sprong but Gallagher is the better and more effective player.
Gallagher is better than Sprong right now absolutely. I was referring to Hornqvist being a better net-front presence guy than Gallagher.

Gallagher is better than Sprong, but he’s still a RW and when you have Kessel, Hornqvist, Sheary, Rust and Sprong in your system, why trade for Gallagher? He’s good but it’s just a waste of assets when we have a weakness at 3C and defense.

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
There are players dealt on deadline day every year who were not rumored to be going somewhere. A GM should not settle for scraps if scraps are all that's available. JR has never been one to settle, so I'd be surprised if he did so here.

Pretty much his entire career. I've seen enough of him this year to know he cannot help a contender. What he can do is help your team win the draft lottery. He is that bad now.

2010 Tomas Plekanec? Where do I sign. But that version wouldn't be available for trade. This version is a shell of his former self.
You live in a stats world buddy. Or you just watch with your eyes closed.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
not available
Go back to read my other post. I don't want him for Plekanec, I was genuinely interested on knowing more about him since this is a Pens OP. Stop jumping the fence so quickly.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Go back to read my other post. I don't want him for Plekanec, I was genuinely interested on knowing more about him since this is a Pens OP. Stop jumping the fence so quickly.
i responded to that when i didn't read the rest of the thread. my bad.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Gallagher is better than Sprong right now absolutely. I was referring to Hornqvist being a better net-front presence guy than Gallagher.

Gallagher is better than Sprong, but he’s still a RW and when you have Kessel, Hornqvist, Sheary, Rust and Sprong in your system, why trade for Gallagher? He’s good but it’s just a waste of assets when we have a weakness at 3C and defense.
Oh i agree that you wouldn't/shouldn't trade for Gallagher. If looking for a 3rd/4th line C that is very effective defensively and stiil chip in offensively, andcan get him cheaply with retention from the other team you go for it. That's plek's in a nutshell.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think the Habs would be doing well to get a 2nd round pick for Plekanec @50%.

I would take that and run.

That said, if you ever do get him Pens fans, don't be mad if he does cost a second. You will like him a lot as a shutdown center. He can still keep up and shut down any center in the league. The tradeoff though is he kills all offense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How would you feel about a swap of Plekanec (50% retained) for Petan?

He played well here this year, outproduced Scheifele head to head. If Lowry is out long term, he is a good rental and Petan is a good price. I think Montreal needs anyone at centre, and he could garner quite a few points playing the PP half wall, feeding sauce to Weber, and tip ins for Gallagher.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know how anyone watching him play the last while could think he's not worth at least a 2nd to a contender. I'm not trying to sell him here. I could care less really. But he is an excellent fit for several teams.

Reactions: Watsatheo

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd be disappointed if even the talentless Bergevin can't get at least a 2nd for him.

Cap hit is no big deal, he's impending UFA and Habs can retain. Worse 3rd liners have fetched better. He's usually heathy, good defensive C, decent at faceoffs, still a good skater, and will put up ~30 points this season at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad