TSN: Pens Interested in Plekanec

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This makes zero sense. Pleks is nowhere near the player Grabner is.
You're right he is a much more rounded player who does not only bring goals.

Plekanec is a very solid 3rd line center at this point and I would not be against the Habs having him back next year at a much lower salary. I think the major reason why people don't give him his due is that he is in the final year of a $6M/yr contract.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've always had a weird soft spot for Plekanec but... better than Brassard? In uh... 2018? Or do you just mean better value relative to the price to acquire him?

Is he a better player then Brassard? No, not even close. But when you start to look at all the changes that would be required to fit in his cap hit and the fact that Brassard doesn't PK... Pleks looks to be a much smarter option.

The issue with Sheahan as the 3C isn't his production... he's getting 33% zone starts and is on pace for ~12g/36pts, almost all at ES. For a 3C who's very good defensively, that's more than fine. The issue is that his fit with Kessel is less than ideal. Kessel thinks offense and RS thinks defense. It's not the end of the world, and I think a different LW then Guentzel would go a long way... but someone like Pleks who can probably be the balance between defense/offense would work just fine. Won't be as dynamic as Brassard... but will allow us to keep almost every piece and should still get the job done.

For Brassard: Sheary+Hunwick out (there's potentially other ways, but realistically, that's it). This also means that Rowney (who Pen fans hate) will almost certainly be in the lineup to handle 2PK C duties.

For Pleks, one of Sheary/Hunwick out (likely the latter). And you're set. We do not lose any real depth, we do not have to worry about having a shit player in just for special teams, we have the players we can role 4 lines... and we keep all our prospects.

I get it... Brassard is the big sexy name. But he specifically (or a player of his caliber) isn't a need. Hell even Pleks isn't a need. The need is a better 4C then Rowney who can win draws and PK. Anything after that is a bonus. But for me, I'd be going after Pleks every day of the week given what Brassard will cost (both directly and indirectly for cap space).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Marc "Oops" Bergevin waited too long.

That was never it. Rutherford wasn't shopping for the best deal, he wanted Brassard... and according to all the rumors, got him for a lot less then what was speculated about (Hunwick, Sprong, 1st, Gus). Sure Cole is a better player and they can likely flip him for a 2nd+, but Cole+1st+Gus is a very easy deal for Rutherford to do, and it wouldn't have mattered what Bergevin was asking for Pleks at that point.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
This thread should be retitled - Pittsburgh was interested at one point in ...

Not happening now.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If I'm Tampa I make sure I pick up Plekanec to counter the Pens.

Would be a solid deal. Plekanec has historically played well against Pittsburgh in a shutdown role in the playoffs. He would be good depth for a playoff team, if not a game changer.

Reactions: Go Wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad