TSN: Pens Interested in Plekanec

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Overall its not close maybe younger Pleks it would be a good argument but hea a shell now
If the Pens are looking for a shutdown 3C, Plek is their guy, though. If they’re looking for a more offensive one, it’s Brassard.

Plekanec can still get the job done defensively. He’s just useless offensively and has no instincts whatsoever anymore.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If the Pens are looking for a shutdown 3C, Plek is their guy, though. If they’re looking for a more offensive one, it’s Brassard.

Plekanec can still get the job done defensively. He’s just useless offensively and has no instincts whatsoever anymore.

I believe the penguins are looking for the best 3c they can find and that is clearly brassard

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Plek would have been a better idea if they hadn't already traded for Sheahan earlier this year. Both Plekanec and Sheahan are 4th line centers, and what they need (and needed from the start of the season) is a 3rd lince C.

Problem is there isn't many (any?) 3rd line C's available. So maybe Plekanec will have to do.

CheeseMcCheese

Feb 22, 2018
I know the pens already have sheahan but pleky +3 (16 TOI) on the awfull -35 of the habs is tremendous and shows immense shutdown ability in comparison to sheahan mere +1 (16 TOI) with the +15 pens and therefore they should really look into him if they want to somehow manage the offensive machine that is the tampa bay lightning (average of 4.67 goal allowed against them this season) that they will most likely have to faceoff with in the eastern conference finals

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’d hate for the Pens to settle for Plekanec because we will still be desperate for a third line center at the end of the season once he becomes a UFA. This is just a band aid approach to the center depth issue. We need a more permanent solution.

JR sat on his hands too much this summer. He must have thought he has a decent shot at Duchene and that Cullen would re-sign.

We will just be back at square one come June if Plekanec is our guy. I mean, we can’t keep playing Rowney every game, so I guess Plekanec would be better than him. But I hope Rowney isn’t the measuring stick to compare players to.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I know the pens already have sheahan but pleky +3 (16 TOI) on the awfull -35 of the habs is tremendous and shows immense shutdown ability in comparison to sheahan mere +1 (16 TOI) with the +15 pens and therefore they should really look into him if they want to somehow manage the offensive machine that is the tampa bay lightning (average of 4.67 goal allowed against them this season) that they will most likely have to faceoff with in the eastern conference finals

Exactly. Plek's offence has dropped off for sure, there is no doubt. But he is definitely not a 4C. If you think you're getting a 4C with him, you clearly don't have a handle on how well he does everything.

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
I totally agree, I think it would increase their chances of 3 peat

Reactions: CheeseMcCheese

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The common statement about plekanec is he is a black hole for offense. When you have Malkin Kessel and Crosby having someone else basically make it so that noone else can score for 12-15 minutes is pretty good.

Reactions: Bar Down

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Plekanec isn't what he once was offensively, sure.

But if you're not a Pens fan, you probably wouldn't know that he would be replacing Carter Rowney.

The same Carter Rowney who has exactly 11 points in 63 career games with the Penguins.

Plekanec would be a huge upgrade on both sides of the puck.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think Pleky would be a good fit in Pitts.
He’s not as offensive as he once was, but he’s still good as a 3rd line defensive/PK a guy.
I’ve always been a fan of his and would love to see him get an actual shot at a Cup.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think Pleky would be a good fit in Pitts.
He’s not as offensive as he once was, but he’s still good as a 3rd line defensive/PK a guy.
I’ve always been a fan of his and would love to see him get an actual shot at a Cup.

Same here. I'll be cheering for Pittsburgh in the playoffs if he gets traded there.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
As a Pens fan the idea of Plekanec is really growing on me. Build a shutdown 4th line around him and see how that goes.

He wont cost an arm and a leg like Brassard is going to either.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Exactly. Plek's offence has dropped off for sure, there is no doubt. But he is definitely not a 4C. If you think you're getting a 4C with him, you clearly don't have a handle on how well he does everything.

He is a 4C on our team. We need offense from the third line. He provides none.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe the penguins are looking for the best 3c they can find and that is clearly brassard

Depends on bang/buck and what they have to trade. A 2019 2nd for Pleky is cheap and addresses the defensive center issues on the 3rd line for another playoff run. Habs will retain whatever to make the deal right and a 2020 3rd conditional if he re-signs.

Hoffman will cost them too much. Sens are not trading cheap

Also pretty sure the Pens will go after depth moves to improve defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad