TSN: Pens Interested in Plekanec

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not trying to be an *******, but really, what other 3c choices are out there? Brassard is rumored to cost a 1st + top prospect + roster player. After Plekanec, what's left at C on the market? Not much...

With the way Sheahan has played lately, I'd rather just keep the center ice like this and add a winger like Grabner
I'm just not a fan of Plekanec, been watching him play for years and his best years are way behind and that is also not including the fact that he isn't much of a playoff performer

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
With the way Sheahan has played lately, I'd rather just keep the center ice like this and add a winger like Grabner
I'm just not a fan of Plekanec, been watching him play for years and his best years are way behind and that is also not including the fact that he isn't much of a playoff performer

He was easily the Habs best forward in last year's playoffs. He was very good. And he was a warrior all those playoff wins over Boston. So I'd take issue with your final statement.

Reactions: WinterLion

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll say again, I don't know why any Penguins fan would be against Plekanec. Let's look at what the Penguins need from their 3C spot. If they're bringing in a new 3C, they'd ideally get:

• A center on par or better than Sheahan, I think Plekanec and Sheahan are very comparable players in terms of talent level.
  • A center who can kill penalties, which Plekanec can obviously do.
  • A guy who's good on faceoffs, Plekanec is at 52.5% this year.
  • A guy who can be the defensive concience for a line with Kessel and possibly Guentzel, which Plekanec can obviously do.
  • This is the biggest one, because Sheahan satisfies all of the above. The ability to mesh with skilled players. This is Sheahan's issue, he's a guy who meshes better with physical players than skilled players. You usually see this in career bottom-6 centers, they have issues playing with talented top-6ers. But Plekanec? He's a former top-6 playmaking center who has declined due to age. I think he'd be a comparable bottom-6 center to Matt Cullen, who's the prototype of the exact kind of 3C the Penguins need. Logically speaking, Plekanec should be able to fit with skilled players, just because he was a skilled top-6er for so long. This may be off, but I'd be willing to bet that Plekanec would be able to mesh well with Kessel. His offensive talent isn't what it used to be, but he's still putting up solid numbers this year (on pace for 31 ES points with a good amount of assists), so it looks like he still has some talent. He's a smart player who has a past of being offensively talented, so I'd say yes on 5.
So why not acquire Plekanec? He brings literally everything you want in a 3C. Sure, he's not Brassard, but you don't need Brassard.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
he'll get a 3rd at the most

Vegas picked Emelin over Plekanec in the expansion draft and Emelin ended up getting traded for a 3rd. Plekanec hasn't done anything to increase his value this year so he's probably worth a late 3rd or 4th.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's get really weird, could the Penguins reasonably throw together a package for both Gallagher and Plekanec at 50%? I don't know if the cap works with this, but something like Hunwick (cap reasons), Sheary, Sprong and a 1st for those two would be a pretty interesting deal.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Let's get really weird, could the Penguins reasonably throw together a package for both Gallagher and Plekanec at 50%? I don't know if the cap works with this, but something like Hunwick (cap reasons), Sheary, Sprong and a 1st for those two would be a pretty interesting deal.
Why? Gallagher is a RW which is literally the last position we need an upgrade on. Sheary AND Sprong AND a 1st for a position of strength? That’s a hard no

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
  • This is the biggest one, because Sheahan satisfies all of the above. The ability to mesh with skilled players. This is Sheahan's issue, he's a guy who meshes better with physical players than skilled players. You usually see this in career bottom-6 centers, they have issues playing with talented top-6ers. But Plekanec? He's a former top-6 playmaking center who has declined due to age. I think he'd be a comparable bottom-6 center to Matt Cullen, who's the prototype of the exact kind of 3C the Penguins need. Logically speaking, Plekanec should be able to fit with skilled players, just because he was a skilled top-6er for so long. This may be off, but I'd be willing to bet that Plekanec would be able to mesh well with Kessel. His offensive talent isn't what it used to be, but he's still putting up solid numbers this year (on pace for 31 ES points with a good amount of assists), so it looks like he still has some talent. He's a smart player who has a past of being offensively talented, so I'd say yes on 5.

Is he still capable of being this, though, is my question. A couple of years ago, he fit this description. But I'm not so sure the Plekanec of last season and this one is still capable of being productive with skilled guys.

If it's for a 3rd round pick or for someone expendable (Hunwick), I wouldn't mind. But I'm not sure he's the 3C answer we've been waiting for anymore than Sheahan is.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I wonder if you'll feel the same way when Hornqvist walks as a free agent after this year.
First off you have no idea if Hornqvist will leave so saying it “matter of fact-ly” is just foolish. Secondly, Sprong would jump into the lineup and we don’t skip a beat haha we actually save ourselves 5 million. Your proposal was just bad for Pittsburgh.

Having Kessel, Sprong, Sheary and Rust on the RW won’t be enough for you?

Packaging our assets for a center or D upgrade would be far, far wiser.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
First off you have no idea if Hornqvist will leave so saying it “matter of fact-ly” is just foolish.

I'll take the word of guys like Yohe, Mackey and Madden, who are basically guaranteeing Hornqvist leaves. He's most likely not coming back.

Secondly, Sprong would jump into the lineup and we don’t skip a beat haha we actually save ourselves 5 million.

You really think Sprong can just replace Hornqvist like that? Oh boy.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I'll take the word of guys like Yohe, Mackey and Madden, who are basically guaranteeing Hornqvist leaves. He's most likely not coming back.

You really think Sprong can just replace Hornqvist like that? Oh boy.
Hornqvist is a 50 point winger playing with Crosby, you think Sprong will never hit 50 points playing with Crosby? Oh boy.

Hornqvist’s grit and net front presence is already being replaced by Aston-Reese. Not to mention Rust is a gritty player himself.

And not even considering the fact that Gallagher probably isn’t even available for those pieces. MTL would need a center, which you didn’t offer and is another reason why it wasn’t a good proposal.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
he'll get a 3rd at the most

Vegas picked Emelin over Plekanec in the expansion draft and Emelin ended up getting traded for a 3rd. Plekanec hasn't done anything to increase his value this year so he's probably worth a late 3rd or 4th.

Vegas could've picked Hudon. That doesn't mean anything.

A center like Plekanec is a more valuable commodity than an inconsistent 3rd pairing defenseman being paid 4M.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hornqvist is a 50 point winger playing with Crosby, you think Sprong will never hit 50 points playing with Crosby? Oh boy.

He needs to make the NHL full time before he can hit 50 points. This is massively wishful thinking and an extremely narrow way to look at this.

Hornqvist’s grit and net front presence is already being replaced by Aston-Reese. Not to mention Rust is a gritty player himself.

ZAR has replaced Hornqvist in what Hornqvist is elite for? Jesus dude, I really like ZAR and that's ridiculous. Stop overrating prospects as if they're sure things. Sprong and ZAR don't replace Hornqvist, they'll be lucky if they ever do.

And not even considering the fact that Gallagher probably isn’t even available for those pieces. MTL would need a center, which you didn’t offer and is another reason why it wasn’t a good proposal.

Good thing they don't need wingers, having Paul Byron in your top-6 is certainly cup caliber.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I was warming to your line of reasoning until the bolded. Then you lost me completely.

If Hornqvist walks after this season, I think fans are going to see exactly how important he is to this club.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Cost to aquire aside, would you rather have Brassard or Kane + Plekanec added to the team? You can have both those guys if they are 50% retained, you move Sheary and Hunwick in the deals and you run 13F, 7D for the rest of the year. Also optional, you could trade Reaves for a depth D man if you wanted 13F 8D.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
He needs to make the NHL full time before he can hit 50 points. This is massively wishful thinking and an extremely narrow way to look at this.

ZAR has replaced Hornqvist in what Hornqvist is elite for? Jesus dude, I really like ZAR and that's ridiculous. Stop overrating prospects as if they're sure things. Sprong and ZAR don't replace Hornqvist, they'll be lucky if they ever do.

Good thing they don't need wingers, having Paul Byron in your top-6 is certainly cup caliber.

ZAR has a chance to replace a good player. Meanwhile Sprong isn't even close to replacing a competent player. Sprong is far from being Hornqvist.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Plekanec retained at 50% to Pittsburgh

Hunwick, a 2nd and a 5th to Montreal.

I'm thinking we could probably get Pleks for just the 2nd. Hunwick can be flipped for a 4th. 2nd, 4th and 5th is an overpayment for him.

Im trying to figure out the right combo that gets us Pleks and Kane, both 50% retained. I think we can get there with:

Sheary
Hunwick
2018 2nd
2019 3rd
Small additional piece

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

Stop overrating prospects? It’s a matter of literally watching the Pens playing and seeing ZAR sit in front of the net and bring a physical game. That’s a fact. That’s not overrating. He might not reach Hornqvists caliber but no one in the league aside from Simmonds does, especially not 5 foot 9 Gallagher hahah

If the Pens don’t think ZAR will replace Hornqvist then hey simple fix.... re-sign Hornqvist... why trade Sprong+ for Gallagher when we can literally keep the more effective player?

Also 50 points is pretty average, it’s not MASSIVELY wishful thinking to assume a guy like Sprong will hit 50 come on now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad