Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I bet he gets scratched when the D is healthy.

I agree. I know they rode out Marino just last year but when guys like Petts (4.025M) and Dumoulin (4.1M) are healthy and available... do the math.

Now whether they ever get healthy at the same time is another matter altogether.

And also yeah it's just an "NHL coach" thing. They will always go safe if they can.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
POJ is the only guy after #58 who is good in transition, I'm pretty sure Sullivan is smart enough to see that a POJ-Marino pair is Fantastic.

Pens game plan isn’t to have the D too involved in transition more to support any turnovers

Edit: or for a back pass if in trouble

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ah. I forgot Mark Eaton and Brooks Orpik were the kings of transition.

Mike Sullivan wasn't the head coach?

Sullivan has stuck with Young defensemen like Dumo, Petts and Marino.

And his willingness to play POJ more than Vets like Ceci and Ruh, speaks volumes.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh. Scuds was a top four D on two cup winners.

Ha... Ol Brooksie wasn't far off if that's the metric.

Imma just say they were both tire-pumped way too hard. No disrespect, of course. You actually saw him play for the Kings and I tend to ignore hockey that makes me drowsy. So you admittedly have a better picture. But I hated his game here in both stints even if it MOSTLY worked during that era.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I’m talking about the playoffs and both seasons. Ceci and Matheson aren’t tough in any sense. They aren’t Cole. Kunitz was old but still feisty when he wanted to be in the playoffs. Wilson played a ton in 2017. Rowney was specifically kept around in the Ottawa series because of his physicality. Even Cullen threw some big hits in 2017. Those teams played real hard in the playoffs, these guys couldn’t spell intense half the time, to borrow Burke’s phrase.

Sorry not buying what your selling. The 2016 and 2017 teams both built on speed and had very few tough players on it and no more than we have now. Players like Tanev, Zucker, Rust, and Kapanen compare very easily to the players you listed on forward with Hornqvist, Old Kunitz, Rowney (gag), and Wilson (gag). The later two didn't even play on the 2016 team in the playoffs. Cole the only defensman you mentioned and he is your toughest defensman you don't have a tough defense which we didn't. Those teams won on speed used in a fast forecheck system.

Does this team have the heart or desire anymore? That might be the case they don't but that has nothing to do with toughness because those 2016 and 2017 teams being labeled that is laughable. Tenacious, fast, and hard to play against yes but certainly not physically tough. This team has the players to play the same way. Whether they do when it counts is the big question. Last playoffs we lost because our 3rd pairing gave up 5 of the 9 goals while playing sheltered minutes. Add to the fact 2 of our 3 stars did zero in the offensive department and you get your first round loss. Blaming it on toughness is lazy and in fact wrong.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Is it ridiculous? Is this not the same assistant that buried Despres?

Despres obviously had some personal issues with the staff and or team we don't know about. Cole had the same treatment with Sullivan. We are not in the locker room or bench to see and know the things of why this happens but obviously it was something more than actual on ice play.

I think it was obvious something other than play because Sullivan has proven he will play the new young guys with Pettersson getting big minutes as a 22 year old rookie and Marino last season playing top 4 minutes as a 22 year old rookie. POJ has a very good chance of staying in the lineup. Pointing to someone like Despres as your reasoning doesn't hold water.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Guess I won't be needing this anymore

GQLkLha.png

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Nah, Mario remembers you after all these years. That's a good thing. You don't bring up things like that to people you don't like, lol.

Guess I won't be needing this anymore

GQLkLha.png

Keep it and put PensX in place of HFBoard and replace the GMJR thing with literally anything Penguins related.

Some not great trades as a GM but it hard to find many people that don't like him. I think we are pretty lucky to have gotten him as a president.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Anyone think the new management team would be interested in Sam Bennett? from the interviews I've heard they seem to want to get bigger and harder to play against. I don't know a lot about Bennett but seems like he could bring some of those elements, he's also younger at 24, high pedigree.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone think the new management team would be interested in Sam Bennett? from the interviews I've heard they seem to want to get bigger and harder to play against. I don't know a lot about Bennett but seems like he could bring some of those elements, he's also younger at 24, high pedigree.

Personally, I think if we (and the org) is upset about not having Bonino and want to rectify that, Bennett is the ideal candidate. I think McCann for Bennett would be a good swap for both sides. Maybe even do a 2 for 2 where we swap some needs for needs too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00