Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder what kind of goalie Hextall targets if Jarry and DeSmith don't right the ship. He was pretty positive about their top-6, said their defense when healthy is good and said their 1-12 were pretty solid, but he basically said nothing about their goaltending beyond "they're there". Makes me think that may be the first area he looks at addressing, but I'm not sure how easily he'd be able to do that.

I don't want him to sink assets on a short term goalie fix like Raanta.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wonder what kind of goalie Hextall targets if Jarry and DeSmith don't right the ship. He was pretty positive about their top-6, said their defense when healthy is good and said their 1-12 were pretty solid, but he basically said nothing about their goaltending beyond "they're there". Makes me think that may be the first area he looks at addressing, but I'm not sure how easily he'd be able to do that.

Quick.

He knows him from LA.

Reactions: Hungamania and BHD

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have to get back some bodies on D. They are close with Petts skating now and maybe a week or so away. All else stay healthy. Now the Pens have a team that has things to improve as to team defense PK, PP, goal tending. But the upside is all that can be improved. Any changes will be cap space, a little more grit ect. For now new GM and others just have to see them play and make assessments accordingly.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Try to get Bennett outta Calgary. I think that could be a move to get us forward a bit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pens have to get back some bodies on D. They are close with Petts skating now and maybe a week or so away. All else stay healthy. Now the Pens have a team that has things to improve as to team defense PK, PP, goal tending. But the upside is all that can be improved. Any changes will be cap space, a little more grit ect. For now new GM and others just have to see them play and make assessments accordingly.
Once healthy they could move Dumo. IF POJ continues along his current trajectory and MP picks up where he left off. That's not bad young LD combo. We'd still have Riikola to manage bottom pair minutes again once he comes back. Well, he and Matheson.

I'd definitely be amenable to trading Dumo and McCann.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I imagine he has a long talk with Sully first. Something like is this the system you are going to stick with and if it doesn't work you're fired. We'd need a real high end goalie if Sully doesn't want to change and do we have the cap or assets or teams selling to get that. Otherwise we are just probably swapping problem for problem and similar things will happen.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
If we are fixing the goalie situation, 5m is about the least in cap hit you are taking back. Not that Quick is the answer, unless LA retains.

Reactions: Hungamania

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Besides Hextall praising the coaching staff on Madden as Emp stated, I also heard a little of Madden’s interview with Burke and he also emphatically stated that he thinks Sullivan is an excellent coach, he likes all the assistants, and he sees NO ISSUE at all with the coaching staff....lol

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Besides Hextall praising the coaching staff on Madden as Emp stated, I also heard a little of Madden’s interview with Burke and he also emphatically stated that he thinks Sullivan is an excellent coach, he likes all the assistants, and he sees NO ISSUE at all with the coaching staff....lol
Right, but that doesn't mean their opinions don't change or evolve as time passes. They need to take a wait and see approach and spend some time here. Hell, they aren't even in Pittsburgh yet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Burke also said Sullivan was a great coach on a podcast with Friedman as well.

Reactions: Andy99

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
incoming Ryan Wilson On DKK site the end is near Ron Hextall likes Sullivan & CS

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Burke also said Sullivan was a great coach on a podcast with Friedman as well.

Yes, this appears to be the ongoing delusion based on past history...”Mike Sullivan is the kindest, bravest,warmest, most wonderful hockey coach I’ve ever known in my life”...lol

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Regarding the coaching staff... The most revealing answer he could have given would have been, "Like everything else, we'll evaluate the coaching staff to make sure that the organization's standard is being met." Or something like that. Otherwise, no, he's not going to be overtly negative about the coaching staff to the media.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Quick carries a 5.8 cap hit (over a million more than the Pens' current tandem combined) through 2023. Furthermore, he isn't even Top 50 at even strength over the past 3 seasons. Hextall would have to talk himself into believing Quick could magically turn his game around at 35(!).

Perfect candidate to unload Matheson for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad