Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think we’ll see the exact opposite of “big trades”. Unless there’s a hockey trade to be had somewhere, but you’re most likely robbing Peter to pay Paul. We don’t even have quality draft picks to trade.

Whether he’s right or wrong, Burke likes his teams with a good amount of nastiness. I think they will slowly but surely try to get bigger/stronger/heavier/more gritty via trade.

These are the type of players Burke likes, these are also the type of players you want around should they decide to tear things down and rebuild.

I think we make a push for a player that plays a Kreider / Hornqvist role.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's a little weird to not be able to realistically joke with grim underpinnings about how funny it will be to wake up tomorrow and half the team is traded and JR is already on a press conference talking about how Kris Letang and whatever draft picks they can scrounge for a very confused Joe Corvo is gonna be a gamechanger trade.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The world was not quite yet ready for you, Randy.

Y0p9kTV.png

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is just a general musing but the fact that Burke/Hextall haven't explicitly come out and said "we want Crosby and Malkin to be lifers here and our full expectation is to keep them here for good" kind of pisses me off. The whole "we'll reassess, anything can happen" shit just makes me roll my eyes.

I mean, they just got here so it could just be that they're more worried about getting the lay of the land then affirming their belief in the core. But whatever.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is just a general musing but the fact that Burke/Hextall haven't explicitly come out and said "we want Crosby and Malkin to be lifers here and our full expectation is to keep them here for good" kind of pisses me off. The whole "we'll reassess, anything can happen" shit just makes me roll my eyes.

I mean, they just got here so it could just be that they're more worried about getting the lay of the land then affirming their belief in the core. But whatever.

MacKenzie last night was saying Geno and/or Letang could get extended a contract this summer as they won’t have much value in a trade given age, salary and one year left on their contracts...Sid may be approached if the team doesn’t do well this year about whether he wants to stay for the final years of his contract or be traded to a contender...sounds like a lot depend on what Sid and G want to do more than anything else and that won’t be discussed until after the season

Last edited:
Reactions: Beauner

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
MacKenzie last night was saying Geno and/or Letang could get extended a contract this summer as they won’t have much value in a trade given age, salary and one left on their contracts...Sid may be approached if the team doesn’t do well this year about whether he wants to stay for the final years of his contract or be traded to a contender...sounds like a lot depend on what Sid and G want to do more than anything else and that won’t be discussed until after the season
As long as they're the ones who decide their future, then fine. Maybe that's why Burke/Hextall haven't said anything, but their lack of statement one way or the other is just going to pour 20 gallons of gas onto the existing fire re: rumors, etc. f***ing dreger is already speculating :facepalm:

Reactions: Andy99

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Burke makes big, gigantic trades within a year or two of taking over a team.

I’m not sure who would be available or make sense here. I could have easily seen him targeting Anderson this summer.

Maybe Zucker for Mantha or Meier?

Zucker and a significant add that we don't have.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’m not sure why we are looking at Burke’s past of liking “truculence” as an indicator for where the Pens are going. Hextall is the GM and will be building the team. Burke is building the Hockey Ops department. Those are different roles and I don’t anticipate much meddling on trades from Burke unless it’s a major player being moved.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not sure why we are looking at Burke’s past of liking “truculence” as an indicator for where the Pens are going. Hextall is the GM and will be building the team. Burke is building the Hockey Ops department. Those are different roles and I don’t anticipate much meddling on trades from Burke unless it’s a major player being moved.

Hextall is gonna want some grit but they’ll have to be able to play too, like Gudas and Koneckny.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

because we keep getting these crap articles...

https://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-toughness-target-trade-hextall-burke/

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This time around I’m actually good with going mean (so long as skill isn’t completely sacrificed) if that’s what the guys wanna do. I miss that kind of hockey and am cool with bringing it back.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a bit of top end speed and skill for some snarl.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Meier ain’t been hot shit either this season. Pretty sure he was booted out of the top 6 last I saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad