Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Mostly. 6-8 weeks is too long. It's obvious parts are lacking in executing on ice

Totally. Fine with getting out from under a dangerous contract. But they didn't REALLY improve personnel or cap situation.

We're talking roughly 20 games. We've seen a lot of people look very different after 20 games. Thinking they should have jumped in before that point is just unreasonable.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We're talking roughly 20 games. We've seen a lot of people look very different after 20 games. Thinking they should have jumped in before that point is just unreasonable.

Colton Sceviour will never have a place on an NHL team.

Wtf is there to evaluate?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sceviour, Lafferty, Jank, Rodrigues aren’t NHL players, bud. Please tell me you don’t expect these guys to learn how to play hockey suddenly.

Dont wait too much longer for your own sake or you might be here for awhile.

tenor.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Colton Sceviour will never have a place on an NHL team.

Wtf is there to evaluate?

The guy with 478 games will never have a place on an NHL team.

Which, I guess, fine. Your opinion.

But if your take is they should have the exact same opinions as you, and there's no chance they'll see things different... well, there's no way of sugarcoating how absurd that is.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No, Lafferty isn't an NHLer. :laugh: Sceviour, Jankowski, E-Rod--they're all varying degrees of 4th liner, but they're NHLers.

Lafferty f***ing sucks.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Sceviour as 4C over Jank any day easily. Even though they’re both are black holes offensively, Sceviour at least throws some body and blocks shots.

If they can surround him with different linemates next year maybe production will go up. Won't know unless tried. It's only his first year.

Reactions: Trade

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No, Lafferty isn't an NHLer. :laugh: Sceviour, Jankowski, E-Rod--they're all varying degrees of 4th liner, but they're NHLers.

Lafferty f***ing sucks.
I don’t care if Jank had a good season two or three years ago, he’s not an NHL player THIS season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If they can surround him with different linemates next year maybe production will go up. Won't know unless tried. It's only his first year.
He’s a free agent after this season, so I doubt he will be back.

But who knows with Hextall? Keeping him seems like a Hextall type move. I’m not sure why you’d take him back though. No team needs more than one Sceviour, Erod, Jank or Lafferty.

Maybe you could sprinkle one of these offensive black holes on a team, but to have 4 guys that bring nothing offensively is just too much.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
He’s a free agent after this season, so I doubt he will be back.

But who knows with Hextall? Keeping him seems like a Hextall type move. I’m not sure why you’d take him back though. No team needs more than one Sceviour, Erod, Jank or Lafferty.

Maybe you could sprinkle one of these offensive black holes on a team, but to have 4 guys that bring nothing offensively is just too much.

I understand having high expectations (we are the city of champions). No doubt a lot of issues need to be fixed, I get that. **** takes time, especially when there is a new GM involved.

But I think your expectations are a tad on steroids.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like all of the amazing changes Burke & Hextall have made so far. It's like night and day.

Philly fans did warn us Hextall has a tendency to be super, super patient.

Maybe he's under the impression we've got a top notch farm system with a bunch of highly touted prospects that just need another season or two to develop.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think the team would've hired Hextall if it wanted a "get shit done immediately, regardless of the circumstances or factors i.e. familiarity" GM. They very knowingly hired a guy who has a knack for building and patience.

I don't know what people are bitching about. This team isn't a "one move away" team, it's a "wait until Geno, TB and Zucker are healthy and go from there" team. If that means staying quiet at the deadline, so be it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think the team would've hired Hextall if it wanted a "get shit done immediately, regardless of the circumstances or factors i.e. familiarity" GM. They very knowingly hired a guy who has a knack for building and patience.

I don't know what people are bitching about. This team isn't a "one move away" team, it's a "wait until Geno, TB and Zucker are healthy and go from there" team. If that means staying quiet at the deadline, so be it.

You don't have to blow your wad to acquire a bunch of high priced rentals, but at the same time you probably shouldn't sit on your hands when you're currently in 3rd in the division and hope that a center depth of E-Rod, Jankowski and Gaudreau can keep you in the playoff hunt until our long term injury guys return. There's a middle ground there.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Philly fans did warn us Hextall has a tendency to be super, super patient.

Maybe he's under the impression we've got a top notch farm system with a bunch of highly touted prospects that just need another season or two to develop.
I think he just wants to rebuild the team so that's what he will be doing and what he's good at.

Reactions: Hungamania

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You don't have to blow your wad to acquire a bunch of high priced rentals, but at the same time you probably shouldn't sit on your hands when you're currently in 3rd in the division and hope that a center depth of E-Rod, Jankowski and Gaudreau can keep you in the playoff hunt until our long term injury guys return. There's a middle ground there.
I'm all for shopping Petts to see what we can get (doubtful it's much of anything other than hopefully cap relief) and seeing what 4C options there are. Other than that? You hope Sid and his line play like a top line and that'll be enough to beat the likes of NJ and Buffalo.

Nobody worth getting is available for the price we can pay. That's just the way it is.

Jake/Zucker-Sid-Rust
Jake/Zucker-Geno-Kap
McCann-TB-Tanev
ZAR-4C-Whatever

Probably the best we can hope for. Regardless of who we get for the 4C spot, unless our top-6 is clicking heading into the playoffs, it's gonna be another short trip to the post season.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I think he just wants to rebuild the team so that's what he will be doing and what he's good at.

He was in LA during their cup runs, I can see a similar model built here. I also think goaltending will be one of his priorities so I expect our pipeline filled with them.

Hopefully he's here for the long haul.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The guy with 478 games will never have a place on an NHL team.

Which, I guess, fine. Your opinion.

But if your take is they should have the exact same opinions as you, and there's no chance they'll see things different... well, there's no way of sugarcoating how absurd that is.

Right a guy who has spent 8 years in the league isn't an NHL player.

Hal Gill

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Hextall was hired two years too early for this team. He’s not the guy to push this team over the edge. If you want to burn it down and start over, then sleepy is probably a decent hire, but he was an awful choice for this team for this year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hextall was hired two years too early for this team. He’s not the guy to push this team over the edge. If you want to burn it down and start over, then sleepy is probably a decent hire, but he was an awful choice for this team for this year.
Still doesn't solve the problem of having no assets to acquire the pieces we need to make another run. Oh well.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Still doesn't solve the problem of having no assets to acquire the pieces we need to make another run. Oh well.
We don’t know the prices teams want, so who is to say we can’t land a piece or two?

Are you going to be disappointed if other teams make trades for reasonable prices while we sit on the sidelines so that sleepy can evaluate things more?

Again, tell me what other playoff teams are playing Sceviour, Lafferty, Jankowski, Rodrigues, and other turds regularly? What other teams do or don’t do doesn’t really concern me.

Again, Laine and PLB were traded, but yet it’s unreasonable for me to want a 4C or top 9 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad