Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t know, you guys seem like you are just making excuses for Hextall.

It shouldn’t be this hard to find a capable fourth line.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t know, you guys seem like you are just making excuses for Hextall.

It shouldn’t be this hard to find a capable fourth line.
And fixing the 4th line does f*** all with Geno hurt, TB hurt, and Sid's entire line sleepwalking through games at ES.

So yeah, we agree that Jank and Lafferty should be waived, and Petts should be shopped for the best return. Give some WBS fodder time at the NHL level to see what they have, which I suspect is nothing. But the urgency you operate under doesn't make sense. Those moves aren't changing a thing.

Best course of action is to wait until the off-season to make any real moves. Yeah, it doesn't help now, but I don't think anything we do would end up making a difference anyway.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The season became a wash when JR quit so you need to get it out of your head that Hextall is going to work some miracle right now. He needs a full off-season and Free agency
tenor.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And fixing the 4th line does f*** all with Geno hurt, TB hurt, and Sid's entire line sleepwalking through games at ES.

So yeah, we agree that Jank and Lafferty should be waived, and Petts should be shopped for the best return. Give some WBS fodder time at the NHL level to see what they have, which I suspect is nothing. But the urgency you operate under doesn't make sense. Those moves aren't changing a thing.
It’s just an example of how he’s not doing enough as GM. A 4C isn’t going to solve our issues while Malkin is out, but we’ve needed a new fourth line center since the first day of free agency.

He has to make a real trade was well for another top 9 forward. If he’s incapable of even pretending to address the fourth line, I have 0 hope he will find a top 9 forward.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It’s certainly not a good thing that’s he’s done absolutely nothing to improve the fourth line.
The 4th line doesn’t matter if Geno is out 4-6 weeks. No sense in throwing away any assets if they’re not going to make the playoffs anyway.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Having a New GM come in mid season likely means player evaluations across the board for the rest of the year.
Can you give me some examples of GM’s hired during the season for a playoff team? I’d like to see if those GM’s lost the circulation in their hands from sitting on them too. Your statement clearly means you are very familiar with these situations.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It’s just an example of how he’s not doing enough as GM. A 4C isn’t going to solve our issues while Malkin is out, but we’ve needed a new fourth line center since the first day of free agency.

He has to make a real trade was well for another top 9 forward. If he’s incapable of even pretending to address the fourth line, I have 0 hope he will find a top 9 forward.
You need to temper your expectations. This team signed its death warrant the moment they stuck with JR and Sully following the Isles series, and especially after the Habs series. We're already in the first stage of the rebuild now, even before moves begin. There's a reason we went out and got a patient guy with a penchant for building teams up.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You need to temper your expectations. This team signed its death warrant the moment they stuck with JR and Sully following the Isles series, and especially after the Habs series. We're already in the first stage of the rebuild now, even before moves begin. There's a reason we went out and got a patient guy with a penchant for building teams up.
Hey, I’m glad JR is gone and I hate Sully. I said from day one that Hextall is too conservative, so I wasn’t crazy about the hire. Here we are still watching our bottom six struggle offensively, and our overly conservative GM hasn’t done a damn thing about it.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The 4th line doesn’t matter if Geno is out 4-6 weeks. No sense in throwing away any assets if they’re not going to make the playoffs anyway.
So, we are throwing in the towel for the year? If that’s the case, we should be dumping every pending free agent. We should start playing guys in the minors every night and stop with playing guys like Rodrigues or Jank. Why let them waste a roster spot when we can evaluate a young player.

No matter how you spin it, guys like Jank shouldn’t be playing - whether we are going all in or selling assets. But these waste of spaces continue to play.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Can you give me some examples of GM’s hired during the season for a playoff team? I’d like to see if those GM’s lost the circulation in their hands from sitting on them too. Your statement clearly means you are very familiar with these situations.

Ah you're getting mad now :laugh:

I stand by that him "evaluating" the team with no knee jerk trades is the right thing for right now.

I can't even find anything in history when a GM quit then someone else had to come in. It's surely a special situation.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Ah you're getting mad now :laugh:

I stand by that him "evaluating" the team with no knee jerk trades is the right thing for right now.
Haha I’m not mad at all.

I could maybe buy your he needs more time to evaluate propaganda if he was, you know, evaluating new, young guys nightly. But players like Erod, Sceviour, Jank continue to play every night.

What is there to evaluate when you’ve been seeing these same guys every night???? Clearly he thinks highly of these clowns if he continues to not promote anyone else.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hey, I’m glad JR is gone and I hate Sully. I said from day one that Hextall is too conservative, so I wasn’t crazy about the hire. Here we are still watching our bottom six struggle offensively, and our overly conservative GM hasn’t done a damn thing about it.
Too conservative for what exactly? You expect this team to still contend after a single win the past two trips to the playoffs? That's on you.

It doesn't matter that the division sucks. If Geno and Kap didn't put on a magic show for a couple weeks against bad teams, we'd be near the bottom. This isn't a "4th line sucks" issue. This is a "Sid and Geno better be at the top of their game because the mix is off and our previous GM bankrupted the team's assets before taking his ball and going home" issue.

Would I like Jank waived? Yes. Would I like Lafferty shot into the sun? Yes. Would I like to have had a new coach for two years now? Yes. Am I gonna throw a fit because our notably patient GM hasn't come in and made any moves? Nah. It doesn't really matter. We get to sit on our hands and wait out the injuries to our 2C and 3C, and we have to hope Sid's line remembers that they're all top line players sooner than later.

I expect you'll get your fireworks this summer, though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Too conservative for what exactly? You expect this team to still contend after a single win the past two trips to the playoffs? That's on you.

It doesn't matter that the division sucks. If Geno and Kap didn't put on a magic show for a couple weeks against bad teams, we'd be near the bottom. This isn't a "4th line sucks" issue. This is a "Sid and Geno better be at the top of their game because the mix is off and our previous GM bankrupted the team's assets before taking his ball and going home" issue.

Would I like Jank waived? Yes. Would I like Lafferty shot into the sun? Yes. Would I like to have had a new coach for two years now? Yes. Am I gonna throw a fit because our notably patient GM hasn't come in and made any moves? Nah. It doesn't really matter. We get to sit on our hands and wait out the injuries to our 2C and 3C, and we have to hope Sid's line remembers that they're all top line players sooner than later.

I expect you'll get your fireworks this summer, though.
I don’t think we will agree here. Sully is still a huge problem, but Hextall should still get rid of ineffective players, and he’s been a giant failure in that regard. We don’t have a first round pick, so it’s going to be challenging to start any sort of rebuild.

Reactions: Hungamania

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Haha I’m not mad at all.

I could maybe buy your he needs more time to evaluate propaganda if he was, you know, evaluating new, young guys nightly. But players like Erod, Sceviour, Jank continue to play every night.

What is there to evaluate when you’ve been seeing these same guys every night???? Clearly he thinks highly of these clowns if he continues to not promote anyone else.

I admit I haven't kept up much with Wilkes Barre but maybe the reason is they are too young or they aren't nhl material. Maybe someone who knows WB can answer.

Even if he decides to move someone whom he knows he won't use next year like an ERod, then I think he'd want to move him for a 5th or 6th but he will do it in the offseason.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And?

I'm not sure if its a bad thing if he is conservative.

The Flyers were rebuilding, the Pens are trying to contend. They got 1.5 seasons to do this and you want to throw one away.

Being conservative is doing what they planned, compete now while not affecting the future as best they can. Being as conservative as people want around here is to not try at all.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Fletcher in Philly.
Burke in Calgary naming himself as an interim.
Homer in Philly.
Kekalinen in CBJ.

Are the ones that come to mind.

Most of them didn’t do shit the first couple months.

Reactions: Hungamania

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Flyers were rebuilding, the Pens are trying to contend. They got 1.5 seasons to do this and you want to throw one away.

Being conservative is doing what they planned, compete now while not affecting the future as best they can. Being as conservative as people want around here is to not try at all.
Agreed. It isn’t a big mystery what this team lacks and what it needs. Hextall should have realized it after a handful of games. But to say it’s okay for him to not do anything because he needs to evaluate the team is a terrible take.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Not necessarily. In the 90s Lou Lamerillo of NJ didn't play the trade market much or land top players (they mostly traded for depth if they did make a trade) and they still won cups.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I admit I haven't kept up much with Wilkes Barre but maybe the reason is they are too young or they aren't nhl material. Maybe someone who knows WB can answer.

Even if he decides to move someone whom he knows he won't use next year like an ERod, then I think he'd want to move him for a 5th or 6th but he will do it in the offseason.
So, Hextall will trade Erod, who will be a free agent, in the off season?
200.gif

No other team will give you a damn thing for these guys.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well then what are you up in arms about? I'm confident he won't resign him.
I’d love to trade him, but no other team would give you a bag of pucks for Sceviour, Jank or Erod.

All I’m saying is that if we aren’t going to make any trades, and ultimately let the team sink, let’s at least bury those guys and see what WBS has to offer. Refusing to make any trades or improvements, while not promoting any AHL guys seems like a terrible idea.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

We want the Pens to contend. If they were serious about another run, they would've done things after the Isles or Habs series. Burkle's content to be the weird pedo-adjacent guy in the shadows with all the money, and Mario couldn't give a f*** less. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad