Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
So, Hextall will trade Erod, who will be a free agent, in the off season?
200.gif

No other team will give you a damn thing for these guys.
You’re also making the dangerous assumption that Sullivan is willing to play whomever Hextall goes out and aquires.

It will be interesting to see if Hextall rolls over for Sullivan regarding playing options, or if he jams players down his throat and forces him to play them. This is what I’m looking forward to.

Reactions: Hungamania

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You’re also making the dangerous assumption that Sullivan is willing to play whomever Hextall goes out and aquires.

It will be interesting to see if Hextall rolls over for Sullivan regarding playing options, or if he jams players down his throat and forces him to play them. This is what I’m looking forward to.
And that is why Hextall needs to be burying some of these players.

I have a feeling Sully won’t have to worry about Hextall forcing him to play certain recently acquired players, because that would require Hextall to acquire someone.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We want the Pens to contend. If they were serious about another run, they would've done things after the Isles or Habs series. Burkle's content to be the weird pedo-adjacent guy in the shadows with all the money, and Mario couldn't give a f*** less. :laugh:
I remember when there were rumblings that Mario wanted to sell his shares of the team back before the b2bs. I wonder if he’s getting back into that mindset?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I remember when there were rumblings that Mario wanted to sell his shares of the team back before the b2bs. I wonder if he’s getting back into that mindset?
Really tough to imagine he gives a shit after watching the team stay committed to JR/Sully after the Isles and Habs series.

Your team got essentially swept twice due to a dunce coach and a GM that took a back to back winner and torpedoed it for several seasons because Tom Wilson made him so angry he pissed his Depends. Instead of trying to get another Cup run, you stay the course? Alright. Great.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Hey, I’m glad JR is gone and I hate Sully. I said from day one that Hextall is too conservative, so I wasn’t crazy about the hire. Here we are still watching our bottom six struggle offensively, and our overly conservative GM hasn’t done a damn thing about it.

You have an opinion (and had this formed before the hire) so I do respect where your coming from. My opinion is exactly opposite of yours, where I think being conservative with our assets and stockpiling of picks is where we need to be. That's why we won't agree.

But I think Free Angency is key to compete in these last year's of Crosby and Malkin. Be active there but only make minor moves for depth without mortgaging the future during the season.

Can we atleast say thankfully no more 3pm last minute trades that will piss us off?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You have an opinion (and had this formed before the hire) so I do respect where your coming from. My opinion is exactly opposite of yours, where I think being conservative with our assets and stockpiling of picks is where we need to be. That's why we won't agree.

But I think Free Angency is key to compete in these last year's of Crosby and Malkin. Be active there but only make minor moves for depth without mortgaging the future during the season.

Can we atleast say thankfully no more 3pm last minute trades that will piss us off?
I was told all off season that you don’t build a championship team with free agents though.

This past off season was the time to load up on free agents, a lot of short term, reasonable prices, but we signed guys like Erod and Jank.

tenor.gif

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We want the Pens to contend. If they were serious about another run, they would've done things after the Isles or Habs series. Burkle's content to be the weird pedo-adjacent guy in the shadows with all the money, and Mario couldn't give a f*** less. :laugh:

Trust me, they care about losing money.

They did do things after, not that they were the right things.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I was told all off season that you don’t build a championship team with free agents though.

This past off season was the time to load up on free agents, a lot of short term, reasonable prices, but we signed guys like Erod and Jank.

tenor.gif
Assuming everyone would've signed here, which is a huge assumption, who did we miss out on that was worthwhile?

Reactions: Allie Kitsune

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not necessarily. In the 90s Lou Lamerillo of NJ didn't play the trade market much or land top players (they mostly traded for depth if they did make a trade) and they still won cups.

They already had big names, and they only won one cup in the 90's. 1995/2000/2003
Mogilny was traded for.
You might want to look at the names, and points isn't everything. You'll find more than a few HHOFers.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is there a reason why no one started a new Cap thread yet? It's been like three days now. Somebody step up! I won't, but you should!

Reactions: Rust17

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR put the team in a corner

Hextall has to work with what he has (not much) with other GMs in a short season (which likely makes them not too interesting in many moves either)
But trading for depth players on expiring contracts shouldn't be all that difficult. I'm sure those GM's would like to at least get something instead of nothing.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
But trading for depth players on expiring contracts shouldn't be all that difficult. I'm sure those GM's would like to at least get something instead of nothing.

I dunno. Maybe. I could just as easily see a bunch sit on their hands this year and just let whatever plays out play out. There hasnt really been a lot of movement besides waiver pick ups, unless I missed a bunch of trades of players?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I dunno. Maybe. I could just as easily see a bunch sit on their hands this year and just let whatever plays out play out. There hasnt really been a lot of movement besides waiver pick ups, unless I missed a bunch of trades of players?
There have been nine trades since January 1.

There were none at all from February 16 to March 1.

There were 73 trades overall last year before the trade deadline. From January to February 24 last year, there were 57 trades. That includes the deadline on Feb. 24, when there were 33 trades made.

No question there is less player movement. I'm sure it will pick up some by April 12, but people expecting a frenzy will be disappointed.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
There have been nine trades since January 1.

There were none at all from February 16 to March 1.

There were 73 trades overall last year before the trade deadline. From January to February 24 last year, there were 57 trades. That includes the deadline on Feb. 24, when there were 33 trades made.

No question there is less player movement. I'm sure it will pick up some by April 12, but people expecting a frenzy will be disappointed.

Good research. Yeah. It felt like the trade tracker was growing cobwebs.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
They already had big names, and they only won one cup in the 90's. 1995/2000/2003
Mogilny was traded for.
You might want to look at the names, and points isn't everything. You'll find more than a few HHOFers.

From the mid-late 90s to the early 2000s they dominated the eastern conference. As I said and referenced the late 90s.

I never said they didn't make trades, I'll say it again their trades were minor (mostly depth guys) Mogilny was an exception. But they weren't major players on the trade market for higher name players like other contenders at the time. They hardly if never shook up any of their rosters during any season.

So my point is if we have a Lou 2.0 in Hextall..im perfectly fine with that.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That would be terrible asset management. If a team that isn’t going to make the playoffs didn’t try mightily to unload pending free agents, that GM should be fired.

What is our current cap situation with all of these LTIR?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
That would be terrible asset management. If a team that isn’t going to make the playoffs didn’t try mightily to unload pending free agents, that GM should be fired.

What is our current cap situation with all of these LTIR?

You need a buyer too

What says any other GM wants to buy your pending FA when we don't know what the cap will be next season or if there is an NHL left??

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Didn't Hextall do that with Friedman?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hextall probably doesn't do many of the adds that GMJR did going into this year. Also GMJR had a cash cap of 75 million as the number to work with. It all depends on the fans coming back and revenue returning to normal. If that is in the cards, then Hextall will have a little more wiggle room to operate in.

Reactions: Hungamania

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn't Hextall do that with Friedman?

Nah. Gave him the player but to force him down the throat, he'd have to go around waiving/trading other options, which he hasn't done.

And I doubt he will. There's not a whole lot of reasons for him to start burning asset value and picking fights in the org over the fates of minor players. Maybe things would be different if he's getting a top 6/top 4 player, but it doesn't look like that's what he wants to do right now, and down the line he should either be looking to work with Sully or replace him, not fight him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Ive been happy they have made no moves so far, their best play was to let the team play for a solid 6-8 weeks and use that time to evaluate what they think the team is or can be.

IMO, the team has played better than I expected considering the lack of forward depth. The defense is nothing special but its been fine, goaltending has been better of late and needs to keep that up but the bottom 6 is a definite issue. Obviously winning the cup has a lot of factors but I think if they could pick up a solid third line player it could go a long way. The problem is do we have the assets to acquire said player? I think Petterson is the piece that gets moved out.

I dont hate Rutherford for trading Hornqvist, in fact I think moving him was the correct move. My problem was he managed to take back more money and the biggest reason for trading horny should have been to open up space. They could have used that Cap to make a run at guys like Toffoli or Granlund

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Ive been happy they have made no moves so far, their best play was to let the team play for a solid 6-8 weeks and use that time to evaluate what they think the team is or can be.

Mostly. 6-8 weeks is too long. It's obvious parts are lacking in executing on ice

I dont hate Rutherford for trading Hornqvist, in fact I think moving him was the correct move. My problem was he managed to take back more money and the biggest reason for trading horny should have been to open up space. They could have used that Cap to make a run at guys like Toffoli or Granlund

Totally. Fine with getting out from under a dangerous contract. But they didn't REALLY improve personnel or cap situation.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Mostly. 6-8 weeks is too long. It's obvious parts are lacking in executing on ice

Totally. Fine with getting out from under a dangerous contract. But they didn't REALLY improve personnel or cap situation.

3 years at $5.3m was not a dangerous contract for a slightly past prime, but still effective player, known commodity, and locker room / culture carrier. 6 years at $4.8m for Matheson is far more dangerous.

I get the sentiment though and hey, Matheson has been fine on the whole, so whatevs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad