Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
[QUOTE="Big Friggin Dummy, post: 176761498, member: 313989"

I don't know what people are bitching abou.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Do you know where you are :laugh:?

Reactions: Hungamania

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Before the injury Geno was playing well and Sid is now bringing it at a higher level. With that in mind, Hextall has to see with a couple modest adds, Pens at least have a legit chance to advance. Yes Pens lack cap space, unless Zucker stays on LTIR. But Petts has to be dealt as it is a position that can absorb a hit. despite many posting Sheehan is not the fourth line guy to replace Jankowski. This is a small element here as to PT and PK. Sheehan is an upgrade and we are talking fourth line here. Trading Petts and taking back a contract for a grit winger and a modest pick 3rd to me to Nashville is what I expect.
Potential trade of McCann for picks and or prospects. Frees up cap space for 2022 as well. Cut Jank, Sceviour and send them to WB if they are not claimed if possible contractually. Lafferty back to WB.
Jake Sid Rust
Zucker/McCann Geno Kap
Tanev TB Sissons
Reese Sheehan Angelo
E Rod

Letang Dumo
Matheson Marino
Riikola Ceci
Ruhwedel

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
So let's waste assets to land Sheahan, cause he's rumored available right? everyone hated him the first time.

Maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea to take back Sheary before the season but everyone hates Sheary too:laugh:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sheehan is an upgrade and will have little cost. I also strongly suggest Hextall will not sell the farm here or what is left of it for a one year run. So my moves are what I think works both money and what the Pens need to fill with no real costs. Sissions is a grinder RW who plays with grit and will bring that element to the bottom 6. Petts has value but that contract with no cap growth is hard to get back value.

If Nashville moves Eckholm then Petts becomes a decent cost control LD for them. So Sissions saves you 1.3 million per and get a nice pick back as well. I like that roster with a blend of some grit and harder to play against. If Zucker comes off LTIR, then McCann is moved for picks and prospects. Money will be needed to sign TB next year anyway. These are moves doable and that is what I am looking at. In the end Hextall moves bring in more grit and possibly 2 or three good picks or a potential prospect with McCann

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sheehan is an upgrade and will have little cost. I also strongly suggest Hextall will not sell the farm here or what is left of it for a one year run. So my moves are what I think works both money and what the Pens need to fill with no real costs. Sissions is a grinder RW who plays with grit and will bring that element to the bottom 6. Petts has value but that contract with no cap growth is hard to get back value.

If Nashville moves Eckholm then Petts becomes a decent cost control LD for them. So Sissions saves you 1.3 million per and get a nice pick back as well. I like that roster with a blend of some grit and harder to play against. If Zucker comes off LTIR, then McCann is moved for picks and prospects. Money will be needed to sign TB next year anyway. These are moves doable and that is what I am looking at. In the end Hextall moves bring in more grit and possibly 2 or three good picks or a potential prospect with McCann
are we that low...are we that f***ing low....:help::laugh:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Peoples expectations may be higher than mine as to moves. But I see a limited way to make deals here. No picks and simply can't continue to trade prospects with Hextall here to rebuild the system. So the blend of any upgrades with minimal costs are what I see happening this TDL period. GMJR is gone and his wheeling dealing days as well. Sheehan is a servicable center and much better than Jankowski. Yes that is not a high bar but that is where I think this goes. Petts for a RW who has averaged 11 goals with needed grit works for me. Plus you have Nashville adding a decent pick for the value. Zucker is simply not movable right now so McCann can be moved for a nice package of prospects or picks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sheahan isn’t old by any standards. He’s more reliable and consistent than one hit wonder Junkasski.

If it was a straight flip of those two, I'd do it. I just don't see the point of spending assets on Sheahan. He moves the needle about as much as losing 5 lbs when you're 400 lbs. moves the needle toward being in shape.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Didn't Sheahan openly say that his drop in play here was a discouragement he experienced when we added Brassard?

Something along the lines of that he was playing well in a 3rd line roll and then when we brought in someone to push him to 4C he kinda lost his mojo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn't Sheahan openly say that his drop in play here was a discouragement he experienced when we added Brassard?

Something along the lines of that he was playing well in a 3rd line roll and then when we brought in someone to push him to 4C he kinda lost his mojo

I think it was the Cullen signing that hit his confidence, but yes. Kid had - has - all the talent and athleticism to be a career third liner but he's had some real down periods and never really recovered, like he has general confidence issues kinda like what he's talked about.

The Sheahan we had would be a huge benefit to us. The Sheahan kicking around should be an upgrade on Jankowski... but not by much. If we paid a small amount to do it then cool beans whatevs but I'd probs be hoping for more if we upgrade 4C.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So let's waste assets to land Sheahan, cause he's rumored available right? everyone hated him the first time.

Maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea to take back Sheary before the season but everyone hates Sheary too:laugh:
I hated him as a 3C or a spot-starter for Sid or Geno, but he is ok as a 4C. He’s obviously better than Jank, but I don’t think acquiring him alone moves the needle much. If we acquire a legitimate top 9 and Sheehan, do it.

Reactions: Hungamania

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not to come in here and derail things a bit but just had a random, legit source pop in and drop this on me:

Rutherford did retire because he had a deal lined up to trade Letang that was vetoed by upper management.

And if so, good thing he did because Letang is playing tremendous and we’d be nowhere close to third in the division without him...

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Not to come in here and derail things a bit but just had a random, legit source pop in and drop this on me:

Rutherford did retire because he had a deal lined up to trade Letang that was vetoed by upper management.

Let's not forget he admitted to wanting to trade Poulin and other assets for Fleury.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Trading Letang can be debated. After his last two years his net benefit to the team was less than prior years, with the reckless play and high profile gaffes. So it can be debated. We also shouldn’t just take random sources at fave value.

But I’m not a fan of how JR left here, or how he conducted himself after the Cup years. He didn’t leave as a maverick with guns blazing, he left as a passive aggressive geriatric who coyly teased ‘the mystery reason’ while giving interview after interview. Also detested how he mouthed off to the media and cheaply questioned some of the players instead of just addressing issues head on. I’m happy for what he did in 2016/17 and he was the right guy at the right time, but he wore out his welcome quick. The more he reveals who he is the more he doesn’t fit. Just like Kessel, ironically.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
We all wondered when management would say "Thank you for the cups, but enough is enough" with the old man. I guess we kind of know, now. I suppose both sides agreed to do the diplomatic thing in the wake of the split, and not drag a players name into the rumor mill for no reason?

Shipping out Letang, while he's had many critics over the years (and I've been one many times) smacks of the of the "DO SOMETHING!" trades that were speculated 2014-2016, about stuff like shipping Geno to a contender for a massive return. Like, the way to reverse the trend of a seemingly slow decline is to just gamble with a massive asset and hope that you win. We dont have any heir apparent for Letang, and even if we did, losing Letang means losing good (and bad) 58 which makes us worse in the short term.

But on the other JR tip, I cant imagine how enraged I would've been if we really gave up Jarry, prospects and picks, only to get 36 yo MAF back at his salary number, and then see Jarry stabilize his play and resurrect his numbers in Vegas. That would've been cosmically terrible asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad