Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t expect any moves baring a season ending injury to a star till the trade deadline. And even then it’ll be minor/depth moves. Any big move I don’t feel will happen till the season is over.
You can’t expect this team to compete with the roster as is. They need to bring in some new players if they want to have a chance. We literally only have 2 top six wingers now. Start the fire sale now if you don’t plan on making any moves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think coming into it they were probably thinking about replacing goaltending, but it's clear that team defense is the bigger actual issue.

Not that picking up another insurance policy at goalie would be the end of the world but it was clear from the beginning that the instability in net came from the instability in team defense.

When even analytics guys like Jesse weren't screaming about Jarry when he was last in xGA-OBPWAR-FO%-KPICOVID19, that's when you knew that the goalie thing was secondary.

Both Jesse and JFresh were saying Jarry was an issue?

Reactions: Turin

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
You can’t expect this team to compete with the roster as is. They need to bring in some new players if they want to have a chance. We literally only have 2 top six wingers now. Start the fire sale now if you don’t plan on making any moves.
What I would do. And what I expect to happen are two different things. And if you go back to my post I said expect. Unless a major piece goes down I don’t think there will be a big trade outside of a deadline move. If the roster happens there will probably be a move, maybe two come deadline. Any major retooling of the roster will probably come in the off season.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The Rutherford article is so bizarre. He specifically sounds like COVID was a big part of his decision, but then says “that’s not the reason I quit”.

Whatever glad we don’t have that quitter here anymore.
He helmed back to back cups. I myself disagreed with a lot of his choices. But we got two championships with him. So in the end if he himself felt the need to go or ownership felt that. Or a mix of that and other factors. I’m not gonna kick the man. I’ll be thankful for the cups and salute him into the sunset.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He helmed back to back cups. I myself disagreed with a lot of his choices. But we got two championships with him. So in the end if he himself felt the need to go or ownership felt that. Or a mix of that and other factors. I’m not gonna kick the man. I’ll be thankful for the cups and salute him into the sunset.

He literally quit on the team less than 10 games into trading multiple 1st round picks and players.

I thank Rutherford for the cups, but he deserves a huge bag of shit given he’s “ready to come back to the NHL” less than a month after quitting on us.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That article is pretty strange. If he is open to a role like director of hockey ops and wanted Hextall to be his successor, why didn’t he just tell the Pens to hire Hextall and ‘promote’ him to a new role instead of suddenly up and resigning? It’s not like that would be unprecedented.

I hope he does get a GM job somewhere and trade us some 1sts back.

Reactions: Lustaf and Turin

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Feels self important on all sides to not just say what happened. Clearly something did.

You’re a hockey GM. It’s a sport. We’re not exactly asking for state secrets. All this dancing around it is stupid.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not really concerned with what happened. I'm just glad he's finally been fired, even if it's like 2.5 seasons too late.

He said himself he's awful to work for. I'd imagine JR's a dickhead behind closed doors.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I was trashed endlessly for calling Rutherford on his bullshit when he left. Now, a month later, after saying he quit so he could relax, “Oh I’m ready to work again.”

Screw him. What a dick. He didn’t retire soon enough and hurt this team. Then he quits, selfishly, after spending a shit ton of useful capital on players who don’t perform. And after stripping down the front office?

Thanks for two Cups, you were beyond useless otherwise. I hope some other team hires you and we screw them over the way he screwed this team over.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I was trashed endlessly for calling Rutherford on his bullshit when he left. Now, a month later, after saying he quit so he could relax, “Oh I’m ready to work again.”

Screw him. What a dick. He didn’t retire soon enough and hurt this team. Then he quits, selfishly, after spending a shit ton of useful capital on players who don’t perform. And after stripping down the front office?

Thanks for two Cups, you were beyond useless otherwise. I hope some other team hires you and we screw them over the way he screwed this team over.
giphy.gif

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah the guy just brought us back to back cups, the first time that happened in 20 years...

But other than that f*** him!! What a dick!!

Look I wasn't a fan of his last few years but.... lol

Reactions: Lustaf

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Yeah the guy just brought us back to back cups, the first time that happened in 20 years...

But other than that f*** him!! What a dick!!

Look I wasn't a fan of his last few years but.... lol

And what did he do after two Cups? He changed the winning formula because of one player stuck in his head, hampered this team with shit contract after shit contract to correct his own mistake, use high draft capital overpaying for players that don’t work on this team, closed the championship window on the team super early as a result then bailed when it got too hard.

Two Cups were swell. Thanks. Great. Thanks for nothing otherwise.

Reactions: Clare2904

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
A legacy can totally be tarnished. JR isn't above reproach when he made four YEARS of mistakes in a row. Shit, Marino is the best thing to come after the Cups and he was an accident

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I had the opinion that it was a bad look to quit when he did, but that article made me firmly on the "f*** JR" bandwagon. What a douche.

Good riddance, I'm expecting Hextall to be better for this team going forward than JR anyway.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah I had the opinion that it was a bad look to quit when he did, but that article made me firmly on the "f*** JR" bandwagon. What a douche.

Good riddance, I'm expecting Hextall to be better for this team going forward than JR anyway.

Two Cups were swell. Thanks. Great. Thanks for nothing otherwise.

Thx for saving Crosby and Malkin’s legacies ya f***ing lowlife mothball smelling gilipollas.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He literally quit on the team less than 10 games into trading multiple 1st round picks and players.

I thank Rutherford for the cups, but he deserves a huge bag of shit given he’s “ready to come back to the NHL” less than a month after quitting on us.
Cool. That’s your axe to grind. I’ll just be thankful and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad