Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hey Hextall wake up man!!! JR would have already made 4 trades since you got hired and traded away our 1st round picks until 2026!!!
I think the man needs to start finding NHL players for the fourth line, at the very least. I’m not sure you need to see another game of Lafferty, Jank or Sceviour before you realize it’s a disaster.

I understand not wanting to deal Malkin or Letang right now, but the other weaknesses need to be addressed if you have any intention of competing this season, which I’m starting to question if they are really going for it this year.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think the man needs to start finding NHL players for the fourth line, at the very least. I’m not sure you need to see another game of Lafferty, Jank or Sceviour before you realize it’s a disaster.

I understand not wanting to deal Malkin or Letang right now, but the other weaknesses need to be addressed if you have any intention of competing this season, which I’m starting to question if they are really going for it this year.

To be shocked, I think this seaon they will let things go and see where we are at more or less before trade deadline. That's when they'll decide which direction we should be headed..

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Burke is a blowhard. And like all blowhards, he can't handle criticism. He will double down and cut off his nose to spite his face instead of admitting he's wrong. He also loves the spotlight and being 'the man' (see his disastrous time in TO). He's likely to put his foot in it sooner or later.

But like all President of Hockey Operations/GM duos in the NHL, the questions are always: what duties are associated with each role/who has the final say/veto power (if any)? Teams with this kind of set-up seem reluctant to be transparent about answers to those questions. And even if they do provide information, it doesn't mean that's how it really plays out.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Frank Seravalli: Friday Five - Alexis Lafreniere struggling through slow start - TSN.ca

3. Penguins goalie woes.

It’s hard to think of a more qualified man to fix what ails the Pittsburgh Penguins than newly hired GM Ron Hextall. The Pens rank 30th out of 31 teams in save percentage with a ghastly .881 mark. The league average this season is .903. Just playing at league average this season, or even slightly below it at .900, would have resulted in nine fewer goals to this point and pushed Pittsburgh’s goal different from minus-3 to plus-6. That is probably the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the razor-thin East Division, another reason why goaltending is Hextall’s first priority. There doesn’t appear to be an avenue open to pry Pittsburgh native John Gibson out of Anaheim. But would Darcy Kuemper fit the bill from Arizona?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
"A bowl is most useful when it is empty."-Lao Tzu.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing that you can do. Especially compared to the alternatives.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
If Rutherford retired after 2017, he'd have a fantastic legacy in Pittsburgh.

The issue is, he stripped this team of resources, mismanaged assets and left when he could've do that anymore. It's already been mentioned that he did something similar in Carolina. I'm grateful for 2014-2017, but the past 4 years have been rough. He's had some bright spots, but we're in a tough spot right now mostly because of him.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Frank Seravalli: Friday Five - Alexis Lafreniere struggling through slow start - TSN.ca

3. Penguins goalie woes.

There doesn’t appear to be an avenue open to pry Pittsburgh native John Gibson out of Anaheim. But would Darcy Kuemper fit the bill from Arizona?

What is the obsession with acquiring players who grew up in the Pittsburgh area? Usually it's only on the boards. Now it's in real media?

I don't want Saad or Gibson. Ever. For spite. You people had your Dylan Reese. Be happy.

And no to Kuemper.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

3. Penguins goalie woes.

It’s hard to think of a more qualified man to fix what ails the Pittsburgh Penguins than newly hired GM Ron Hextall. The Pens rank 30th out of 31 teams in save percentage with a ghastly .881 mark. The league average this season is .903. Just playing at league average this season, or even slightly below it at .900, would have resulted in nine fewer goals to this point and pushed Pittsburgh’s goal different from minus-3 to plus-6. That is probably the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the razor-thin East Division, another reason why goaltending is Hextall’s first priority. There doesn’t appear to be an avenue open to pry Pittsburgh native John Gibson out of Anaheim. But would Darcy Kuemper fit the bill from Arizona?

Is that really the Pens' biggest need? After his weak start, Jarry's been fine. Consistent scoring and overall team defense seems a bigger issue than who is between the pipes.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Jarry was a slightly above-average goalie to begin with, he's just inconsistent.

The issue is, the defense has been pretty inconsistent as well. I'm not ready to give up on Jarry. I think you make a coaching change and see what happens before you make any radical moves.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

3. Penguins goalie woes.

giphy.gif

An awful take. Truly awful.

TJ is at an .895 s% currently. If you remove the first 4 periods of the season where he was clearly not up to speed and the team defense was an abomination he's sitting over a .918. He has been close to the last thing that's a problem. He also is on a super low contract for a starting goalie.

People that agree with goaltending being our #1 issue need to consider a different sport or hobby.

If that was Hextall’s first priority than he already needs fired...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
giphy.gif

An awful take. Truly awful.

TJ is at an .895 s% currently. If you remove the first 4 periods of the season where he was clearly not up to speed and the team defense was an abomination he's sitting over a .918. He has been close to the last thing that's a problem. He also is on a super low contract for a starting goalie.

People that agree with goaltending being our #1 issue need to consider a different sport or hobby.

If that was Hextall’s first priority than he already needs fired...

I think coming into it they were probably thinking about replacing goaltending, but it's clear that team defense is the bigger actual issue.

Not that picking up another insurance policy at goalie would be the end of the world but it was clear from the beginning that the instability in net came from the instability in team defense.

When even analytics guys like Jesse weren't screaming about Jarry when he was last in xGA-OBPWAR-FO%-KPICOVID19, that's when you knew that the goalie thing was secondary.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
"A bowl is most useful when it is empty."-Lao Tzu.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing that you can do. Especially compared to the alternatives.

Awesome :D .
We have a lawyer quoting a Chinese hermit philosopher from 600BC when evaluating trade strategy.

I’m in five shades of rapture at this board’s depth, but I will caution that a great deal of what is passed down as Laozi’s work is a great deal more incomprihensible than that of, say, Derrida.

Even Confucious is said to have expressed awe and equal amounts confusion - letting Laozi have his solitary hill and moving on to a more practical/intelligible philosophy.

Reactions: KIRK and Jaded-Fan

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don’t expect any moves baring a season ending injury to a star till the trade deadline. And even then it’ll be minor/depth moves. Any big move I don’t feel will happen till the season is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad