Speculation: Pens Have Spoken to Several Free Agent Goalies (Théodore, Bryz, and the Like)

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I'm thinking - why not? It's not like getting him for peanuts on a one-year-deal wouldn't hurt you this year with Vokoun out. I'm sure he'd definitely be closer to signing for something in the vicinity of the league minimum than, say, Tim Thomas money, because that way he'd surely get enough exposure to maybe convince people there's still something left in him, which might get him a deal as a backup next season as well.

Remember how he's been handed out a KHL money contract and he hasn't bitten.. he wants to retire an NHL goalie.

Fire Shero*

Shockingly, it only took Shero 4 years to realize we need help in net in the draft. The problem is it will take several years for development.

Who was the last above average goalie this team has produced? Lalime was okay. We make fun of Philly for their goalie woes but our franchise goalie requires therapy because he's so terrible in the playoffs. The pens drafted fleury 10 years ago. He's not a rook anymore. The fact that he is still on the team is a joke and an insult to the fans.

You can write off the season if Vokoun retires/ out for the season.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
its rather shameful how little attention the penguins (namely shero) has paid to the goalie position. and we are now paying the price for sheros lack of vision.

sure, they drafted 8 or whatever goalies in the past 6 years, and signed 4 or so free agent goaltenders. but they never really placed a priority on landing quality goaltenders.

sure, i get that they never wasted another first round pick on a goalie. thats fine. but hell, try to sign/pick a goalie with some upside, some sort of pedigree.

despite everyones hopes, fleury was never really a franchise goalie. he was a solid number one for several years, nothing more nothing less. thats always been clear to anyone that wasnt a complete homer. shero should not have left the goaltending cupboard run so bare. hell, even jersey spent a first rounder on ari ahonen during the PRIME of marty brodeurs career.

you're telling me shero couldnt find a semi-decent goalie prospect in the past decade?

yet again, another indictment of our overrated gm.

now the pens goaltending rests in the hands of 1) one of the biggest losers of all time 2) generic prospect with the upside of a potato 3) jose theodore or tea party activist ted nugent/tim thomas.

while I agree, my thoughts 2 drafts ago was Forsberg #8, and then Subban instead of Maatta as at that point in time we still had Morrow and thought he would be something and Strait/Bortuzzo coming up the pipeline. but whatever there..

I think the pickup of Vokoun was a great move by Shero, and he probably thought that that would get him through until next season giving the rooks time to develop and he could then either know fleury finally turned it around or kick him to the curb and get one via trade/FA.

with TV done that plan is thrown out the window...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hiller would be a good option for the Pens at the deadline as the cap will probably be a non-issue at that point. Anaheim will have to be out of the playoff hunt, but he definitely would be available in that scenario (he's not likely to stay in ANA unless Fasth has a bad year).

He's also a better goalie than Fleury on balance because he's more reliable. He's not as talented as Fleury and maybe woudn't make some of the same highlight saves when Fleury is playing well, but he won't kick goals into his own net during the playoffs and flop around either AFAIK.

I'd be happy if Shero gave him a 2-3 year deal in the off-season, assuming we had acquired him and he played well down the stretch. The idea that we need a superstar goalie to win is flawed. We don't even need an all-star goalie, we just need a steady goalie, and MAF is the opposite of steady. Hiller could easily fit the bill as long as he passes the team physical.

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
bottom line-- pens goaltending situation is among the worst in the league, yet people will rationalize it whatever way they can. carry on. tell me more about the upside of hartzell. tell me why i should be excited about him being the backup.

Actually, I'd prefer if you just complained some more about the same three issues and related it back to how disappointed you are that the team isn't the type A winner personality accessory you wanted. It'd be really informative for all of us to hear more pathetic bruised ego whining from a guy who pays so little actual attention that he didn't even realize Tim Thomas already signed with Florida.

Just become a Flyers fan already, really. That or go get a Yankees hat and Cowboys neck tattoo or something. That'll let people know what a champ you are.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
We need the Pascal Dupuis of goalies: effort and focus is always there, all-around skills (skating, stickwork, etc) are decent, and in good physical shape. Hiller could qualify as long as his vertigo thing is truly done. A guy like Halak could qualify (UFA this summer and they have Elliot and Allen to fall back on potentially). Even Neuvirth (one more year under contract after this season), if Washington has another goalie coming up the pipeline. I'd feel better with any of those guys playing in net for us from April 1 forward, until MAF proves me wrong. Halak + Martin in the playoffs... could be a good thing starting next year. ;)

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
We need the Pascal Dupuis of goalies: effort and focus is always there, all-around skills (skating, stickwork, etc) are decent, and in good physical shape.

Working off your analogy, would that make Fleury the Alex Kovalev of goalies? All the talent in the world, shows flashes with good stretches/seasons here or there, but never really pans out.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Working off your analogy, would that make Fleury the Alex Kovalev of goalies? All the talent in the world, shows flashes with good stretches/seasons here or there, but never really pans out.

You're being too generous. Alex Kovalev was arguably the most talented and skilled player in the league during his prime but his work ethic wasn't there. I don't think people realize how gifted Kovy truly was. He could've been one of the all-time greats. A Top 10 in NHL History type guy (or in the discussion). But his work level was nowhere close. If Alex Kovalev had worked as hard as Pascal Dupuis every year on his game and weaknesses, we'd be having the "Who was the best Penguin ever: Mario, Kovalev or Jagr" argument. His skill was Jordan-like or Lebron-like, to use the basketball metaphor.

Even so he still managed some impressive numbers at times. Fleury has never been close to "the most skilled goalie" in the league. I'd say Fleury is more like... Owen Nolan. A guy who had all the physical gifts and size required to be a top-tier player at his position every year, with a couple flaws in his game (puck handling for example). But because he wasn't focused he only had a couple great statistical years, one successful playoff year and the rest were disappointments for his ability level.

That's NOT to say Fleury is a dewshbag like Nolan was (their personalities couldn't be more different based on what I know), but the net effect is the same. Plenty of talent and opportunity on a great team, very little to show for it.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think there has been a "Kovalev of Goalies" in recent times, as far as dominant / instinctive skills on display. I think Patrick Roy was the Kovalev of goalies, except that unlike Kovalev, he got the job done much of the time. I don't know enough about goalie technique to say for sure but I think Roy was more like the "super-skilled natural" while Brodeur was the "super-skilled technician" who had honed his game with hard work. So maybe that comparison holds up a little better?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Actually now that I think about it, I don't think there has been a "Kovalev of Goalies" in recent times, as far as dominant / instinctive skills on display. I think Patrick Roy was the Kovalev of goalies, except that unlike Kovalev, he got the job done much of the time. I don't know enough about goalie technique to say for sure but I think Roy was more like the "super-skilled natural" while Brodeur was the "super-skilled technician" who had honed his game with hard work. So maybe that comparison holds up a little better?

Roy was a natural talent but still very technical. The arguments can go on forever, but in my mind he's the greatest goalie to ever play the game.

Your Fleury-Nolan comparison is much better than my Kovalev one. On the bright side, Fleury's only 28 and still in the early part of his prime as a goaltender. He could still have plenty of good hockey in him, whether it's with the Penguins (if Bales and/or the sports psychologist can turn him around) or elsewhere.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Would you really want Neuvirth as a starter? Or am I misinterpreting something?

I would rather have Hiller or Halak for sure, especially under a would-be Coach Martin... but Neuvirth is still a very young goalie. He can implode at times too because of that lack of poise / experience, but as a stop-gap Neuvirth could play well on this team. I wouldn't consider Neuvirth to be the type of goalie that could carry a mediocre team (and he needs to grow up a little), but on a deep team with a good defensive system... he could have success here.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We need the Pascal Dupuis of goalies: effort and focus is always there, all-around skills (skating, stickwork, etc) are decent, and in good physical shape. Hiller could qualify as long as his vertigo thing is truly done. A guy like Halak could qualify (UFA this summer and they have Elliot and Allen to fall back on potentially). Even Neuvirth (one more year under contract after this season), if Washington has another goalie coming up the pipeline. I'd feel better with any of those guys playing in net for us from April 1 forward, until MAF proves me wrong. Halak + Martin in the playoffs... could be a good thing starting next year. ;)

Basically you mean we need Chris Osgood, circa 2008?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I would rather have Hiller or Halak for sure, especially under a would-be Coach Martin... but Neuvirth is still a very young goalie. He can implode at times too because of that lack of poise / experience, but as a stop-gap Neuvirth could play well on this team. I wouldn't consider Neuvirth to be the type of goalie that could carry a mediocre team (and he needs to grow up a little), but on a deep team with a good defensive system... he could have success here.

Hm, I don't know about that one. I don't like Neuvirth from what I've seen but then again, I certainly have not seen him nearly enough to make any kind of accurate judgement. Either way, it's going to be interesting.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Basically you mean we need Chris Osgood, circa 2008?

Nah, Carey was a left-catching goalie.

Frighteningly, Osgood is exactly the name I thought of when DV said "the Pascal Dupuis of goaltenders".

I have no idea what that means, but it's scary.

:laugh:

Hahah. More like 1997-2000 where he earned the majority of starts and won 30+ every year, and had a decent if unspectacular GAA. But no, someone moderately more skilled and reliable than Chris Osgood (after all he was a platoon guy much of his career because he couldn't take the reigns), but you're in the ballpark. I use Dupers as an example of someone who has steadily improved all aspects of his game, to the point where he's now an integral and highly reliable member of the offense, even if he's not close to being as gifted as Bennett, let's say.

If we could find a goalie who has decent skill and technique, but who works really hard and is focused all the time... that would work. I think Flower has a really hard time focusing. I don't know if it's ADD or what (let's ask the sports psych guy), but it effects every part of his game. His mental prep, his physical conditioning probably throughout the year, his playoff attitude. I don't know if focus can be manufactured in a player that already has ingrained habits but that's really all Fleury needs IMO.

Sadly I doubt he'll find a way to do it, but we'll see soon enough. God knows I can't focus well enough, or I wouldn't be in here every morning during the season and at lunch break, etc. :laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
All this team needs is someone who can play like Vokoun in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if it's a stopgap veteran again. They don't necessarily need to draft or poach a franchise or even all-star caliber guy. Just one who can keep them in games and maybe steal one per series.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
All this team needs is someone who can play like Vokoun in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if it's a stopgap veteran again. They don't necessarily need to draft or poach a franchise or even all-star caliber guy. Just one who can keep them in games and maybe steal one per series.

You make it sound like what Vokoun did in the playoffs was easy to replicate. It certainly isn't. The Isles punked us. Without Vokoun playing at his highest level he's ever played in the NHL, we're toast in Round 1.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Halak reunites with coach Martin? Not a bad idea but the defense in front of him has to get better. If we concede 45+ shots a game I'm going to have a stroke

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Halak can't stay healthy. I don't know if they ran him into the ground in '10, but he simply isn't the same dude.

I like him. I just don't trust him to stay healthy.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Halak can't stay healthy. I don't know if they ran him into the ground in '10, but he simply isn't the same dude.

+ he has kind of lost the job to Brian Elliot in St Louis. Not a good thing. He will need to have a solid season and possibly play well again in the Olympics like he did back in 2010 for him to even get consider again a starter. Personally i'd go with Hiller

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

You never know it could be a conditioning issue... something the guys here could help him with. I'd definitely take a chance on Halak as he's skilled and has several good years left at his age. You just make sure his workload is closer to 50 games than 60 so he's ready for the playoffs. Put another way, if we had the chance to sign him (STL is guaranteed to be a playoff team so we can forget about a trade unless Allen really does well in his second stint as a backup), we're not in a position to say no. There just aren't many goalies out there who fit the bill for this team (and its next coach potentially), but he's definitely one of them. If not the one.

If Disco and Fleury don't work some magic this season... don't be surprised to see replacements of Martin and Halak. I could easily see Shero making that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad