Speculation: Pens Have Spoken to Several Free Agent Goalies (Théodore, Bryz, and the Like)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If Hartzell is better than Zatkoff, he'll get his time. WBS expects to make the playoffs and they're not going to bet their season on Hartzell coming in and being as good as the Zatkoff/Thiessen tandem was last year.

And even though Zatkoff isn't some old, grizzled vet, he's a very capable AHL goalie who can probably teach Hartzell a thing or two while the kid gets adjusted to pro hockey.

Judging from what others have said here, having Zatkoff/Hartzell tandem in the playoffs pretty much IS betting the season on Hartzell.

If Zatkoff is capable, then give him a shot and find out what he's made of. If they are so low on him that they won't even give him a chance then it is too risky to keep him as a #3.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I mean that they expect to make they playoffs (they've done it 10 years in a row now) not necessarily go far. :laugh:

And I do agree with people who want Zatkoff to get a chance with the big club. A couple games early on to see if he handles himself and go from there. I'm mostly just arguing against this sudden dissatisfaction with his spot on the organizational depth chart.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
gotta agree with Bruno. i don't see how a Zatkoff/Hartzell tandem is a detriment to Hartzell's development. Thiessen got 32 games last year as the back-up. not to mention that it might not be wise to saddle Hartzell with the pressure of carrying a conference-finalist team while he adjusts to pro-hockey.

to be honest i find this topic pretty meh, as long as Hartzell gets significant playing time i don't think anyone should be unhappy.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The other thing is that last year Hynes showed he was not at all opposed to playing the hot hand in goal. Theissen and Zatkoff traded stretches of brilliance and Hynes played them accordingly. It was really a 1A and 1B situation. Don't worry too much about Hartzell getting shafted on playing time he deserves.

(God I miss hockey.)

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
And I do agree with people who want Zatkoff to get a chance with the big club. A couple games early on to see if he handles himself and go from there. I'm mostly just arguing against this sudden dissatisfaction with his spot on the organizational depth chart.

I guess it all comes down to who we get instead of him if we indeed sign someone. If it's Hedberg for example, I will certainly be dissatisfied. A lot.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I guess it all comes down to who we get instead of him if we indeed sign someone. If it's Hedberg for example, I will certainly be dissatisfied. A lot.
The remaining unsigned NHL goalies are so weak. Bryzgalov is easily the best one left.

I've already said that just for storyline purposes I would not be opposed to a modest ($1.5 million or so) one year contract for him.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
The remaining unsigned NHL goalies are so weak. Bryzgalov is easily the best one left.

I've already said that just for storyline purposes I would not be opposed to a modest ($1.5 million or so) one year contract for him.

I would give all my unborn children for him winning the Vezina in Pittsburgh. Just for giggles. Back to reality though, you're probably right. I just had another look at the remaining UFAs and it's gross.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
On the Zatkoff/Hartzell thing, the AHL has so many 3 games in 3-4 nights that finding playing time for multiple goalies isn't too much of a problem.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I mean that they expect to make they playoffs (they've done it 10 years in a row now) not necessarily go far. :laugh:

:laugh: Very true.

For the record I'm not criticizing Zatkoff or saying he shouldn't get his time in WBS. I'm more or less arguing that IF the organization doesn't trust him enough to fill in as a backup, then why did THEY not replace him in the off season. It just seems odd considering the already troubled goalie situation when July 5th rolled around.

So as to not get too far off track, this goes back to the reasons why I don't think we should rush to sign Theodore.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so what's up in Anaheim, Hiller/Fasth last I looked it looked like Hiller was on the outs and Fasth was the guy. If that's the case I certainly wouldn't mind Hiller in a trade, how about Niskanen and we'll throw in Tanner Glass for free :)

not sure what it would take to get him out of a ducks uniform but wouldn't mind him here if the vertigo issues are indeed done with.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hiller's contract makes him a no-go.

I have less faith in Zatkoff than I do in Fleury, but I'm fine with giving him a couple games in October to see what he can offer. His failures at every level in the playoffs are just so astounding that it's really hard to have faith in the guy, but weirder things have happened. There just has to be a back-up plan in case it doesn't work out and Theodore probably isn't going to stay on the market for long because of his history and the fact that we're not the only team with a need for a back-up who can play a lot if needed...there aren't a ton of guys out there that can do that. I'm as big of a Moose fan as anyone, but he's 40 and looked terrible last year...he should only be an option for a team that has a starter that's going to start 70 games a year.

Of course there's always Bryzgalov...I'd almost be tempted to see that just to see how bad of a dumpster fire putting the two most mentally unstable goalies in the league in the same locker room could be.

As for Hartzell...it almost infuriates me everytime I come across a comment (though these are exclusively from the dullards who post on P-G articles and Tweet every though that comes across their brain) that says he should be the one getting the chance. Forgive me guys, but I'm not sure the 24 year-old with 0 professional games under his belt is quite set to be the savior you guys (the dullards) want him to be right now. Hartzell may be something great, he may be another Curry, he may be a liability from day one...we don't know...and the best way to learn isn't to throw him to the wolves, but to let him play. If nothing else this Zatkoff situation will help him get more starts than he likely would out of the gate...but as Sivek stated with the AHL focusing so heavily on weekend play it wasn't going to be an issue to get them both ice time anyway...this just means that Hartzell will be getting the 60 out of a 60/40 split instead of the 40...which will now likely fall to Peter Mannino.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hiller won't be back in Anaheim, that's basically guaranteed. Hiller would be an option as a bridge goalie...I don't see him as the answer though. Anaheim's system in the past made him look better than he really was, in my eyes...he's looked mediocre since Boudreau took over.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I would be disappointed if Shero did not have preliminary discussions with most the potentially usefull still unsigned UFA's. More so the goalies after Vokoun's blood clot, obviously.

Would be a very good backup. Zatkoff I haven't seen enough to have opinion on, but he is hardly someone who has performed to such a standard or has such pedigree, that anyone should feel ashamed that we are stunting him. In this organisation he has had half a very strong season with WBS and a playoff flame out. So... lets not go nuts.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The RDS article says that the Pens had preliminary discussions with Theodore the day after Vokoun's surgery, and are waiting to get more info about Vokoun's condition before they have more discussions.

So, it looks like they were putting some feelers out (and I would imagine they also would have done so with other available goalies) but aren't going to make a decision until they figure out how long Vokoun is expected to be out. This isn't surprising. I would expect that any team would do that in the same situation.

Sounds about right. May as well make contact now in case we need a backup on short notice.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hiller won't be back in Anaheim, that's basically guaranteed. Hiller would be an option as a bridge goalie...I don't see him as the answer though. Anaheim's system in the past made him look better than he really was, in my eyes...he's looked mediocre since Boudreau took over.

He had a bad concussion a random bout with Vertigo that threw off his balance. For me that's sort of the point in which his game went South.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
gotta agree with Bruno. i don't see how a Zatkoff/Hartzell tandem is a detriment to Hartzell's development. Thiessen got 32 games last year as the back-up. not to mention that it might not be wise to saddle Hartzell with the pressure of carrying a conference-finalist team while he adjusts to pro-hockey.

to be honest i find this topic pretty meh, as long as Hartzell gets significant playing time i don't think anyone should be unhappy.
Yeah, I may be off base with that part of my argument. I was thinking that I'd like to see him get close to 50 games but it shouldn't be a huge deal if he gets less this season.

I just have serious doubts about Theodore being an NHL player in 2013. I could be wrong and I'll be the first to admit it if I am. I just feel like if we sign him, we are panic buying to make up for not addressing the position in the off season. Then again, all of this talk is irrelevant if we do give Zatkoff some games.

There's nothing wrong with sending out feelers though, and if there wasn't a lull in news and we weren't resigned to the inevitability of the Gladams entity, then we probably wouldn't even be talking about this.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
its rather shameful how little attention the penguins (namely shero) has paid to the goalie position. and we are now paying the price for sheros lack of vision.

sure, they drafted 8 or whatever goalies in the past 6 years, and signed 4 or so free agent goaltenders. but they never really placed a priority on landing quality goaltenders.

sure, i get that they never wasted another first round pick on a goalie. thats fine. but hell, try to sign/pick a goalie with some upside, some sort of pedigree.

despite everyones hopes, fleury was never really a franchise goalie. he was a solid number one for several years, nothing more nothing less. thats always been clear to anyone that wasnt a complete homer. shero should not have left the goaltending cupboard run so bare. hell, even jersey spent a first rounder on ari ahonen during the PRIME of marty brodeurs career.

you're telling me shero couldnt find a semi-decent goalie prospect in the past decade?

yet again, another indictment of our overrated gm.

now the pens goaltending rests in the hands of 1) one of the biggest losers of all time 2) generic prospect with the upside of a potato 3) jose theodore or tea party activist ted nugent/tim thomas.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How about we let Hartzell play in the AHL before we start acting like the sky is falling in terms of no goaltending prospects with promise when that's not even remotely the case.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
How about we let Hartzell play in the AHL before we start acting like the sky is falling in terms of no goaltending prospects with promise when that's not even remotely the case.

there is no indication whatsoever that hartzell has a reasonable chance of having career as an nhl goaltender.

the only reason people are talking about him as if he had legit upside is because vokouns career is over and the pens are in a desperate situation.

the penguins backup could be andy chiodo and we would still have multiple threads with a large contingent of homers talking about his upside and past glimpses of glory.

bottom line-- pens goaltending situation is among the worst in the league, yet people will rationalize it whatever way they can. carry on. tell me more about the upside of hartzell. tell me why i should be excited about him being the backup.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
there is no indication whatsoever that hartzell has a reasonable chance of having career as an nhl goaltender.

the only reason people are talking about him as if he had legit upside is because vokouns career is over and the pens are in a desperate situation.

the penguins backup could be andy chiodo and we would still have multiple threads with a large contingent of homers talking about his upside and past glimpses of glory.

bottom line-- pens goaltending situation is among the worst in the league, yet people will rationalize it whatever way they can. carry on. tell me more about the upside of hartzell. tell me why i should be excited about him being the backup.

Tell me why he doesn't have any upside. Because the way you make it sound, we should consider him crap before he even has a chance. Do you go about your life this way too because that's a horrible way to live.

I will let the guy play in the AHL and then see what potential he has. I mean damn, relax. He comes with an accomplished resume at the Collegiate level for hockey, he hasn't even had a chance to play a freaking game and you act as if he's a nobody.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I don´t think there is time to panic yet. Lets give those guys a chance, there is enough time to aquire somebody else, if things don´t work out. Its not like this is a short season like last year.

We all know the goalie situation is not ideal, but it is way too early to panic IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Any other former Capitals netminders that catch right-handed we wanna try? Vokoun. Theodore. How about Bob Mason while we're at it. Where's Pat Riggin these days? Mike Palmateer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad