Speculation: Pens Have Spoken to Several Free Agent Goalies (Théodore, Bryz, and the Like)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gotta look at all the options. I dont think they will go out and rush to sign another goalie but if the recovery time is going to be 6 months plus time to get into game form then the season is pretty much shot for Vokoun.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I just disagree. At the very least see how he does at the beginning of the season and go from there.

I agree with this and I think that's how it'll go. Even if Theodore gets picked up sooner, there's bound to be some goalies either still on the free agent market, available via trade or on the waiver wire. I'm also kind of tired of Fleury needing insulated with veteran (and pricey) backups, it's time for him to put up or shut up and carry the load. If Fleury plays like he's paid to and like he's capable of, Zatkoff shouldn't be needed nearly as much and that'll make him all the more effective as a backup.

However, with Vokoun out we currently have no goalie besides Fleury under contract with any NHL experience. So maybe Drouin-Deslaurier can earn a spot in WB/S and be this season's Ty Conklin.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Let's not forget that Zatkoff doesn't have the most glowing reputation for playoff play himself... it's perhaps even worse that Fleury's.

It's fairly unusual to see a goalie struggle in playoffs at every level then suddenly put it together in the NHL.

I don't know why people are upset about sending Zatkoff down. If he doesn't have several outstanding postseasons, I don't ever want to see him with the big club.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
We should just be patient and use Zatkoff + wait to hear more about TV before we make any moves. It'd be silly to sign a vet, have TV come back in a relatively short period of time, then be stuck having to get rid of one of them.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We should just be patient and use Zatkoff + wait to hear more about TV before we make any moves. It'd be silly to sign a vet, have TV come back in a relatively short period of time, then be stuck having to get rid of one of them.

Ya, pretty sure before they make any decisions they will wait for the doctors order regarding TV and his condition

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
The RDS article says that the Pens had preliminary discussions with Theodore the day after Vokoun's surgery, and are waiting to get more info about Vokoun's condition before they have more discussions.

So, it looks like they were putting some feelers out (and I would imagine they also would have done so with other available goalies) but aren't going to make a decision until they figure out how long Vokoun is expected to be out. This isn't surprising. I would expect that any team would do that in the same situation.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Rather take a shot with Zatkoff then a late 30's retread coming off a serious injury.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Par for the course. The Pens bringing in a vet to take NHL playing time away from a younger player. Can't we even give Zatkoff a shot first?

Doesn't it make sense to at least start preliminary discussions with a veteran UFA goalie even as you're evaluating an unproven rookie goaltender?

Zatkoff's never played in the NHL. It would be stupid to not at least start discussions with a veteran goaltender and his agent to make sure he'd be a viable plan B in case Zatkoff can't hack it.

It's not like they've already signed him, after all.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
please no theodore...

a sub 90% save pct last year, and career .909 average.

no thanks. sorry he's no vokoun and if we have to rely on him in the playoffs we are doomed. there's a reason he's been kicked to the curb from several different teams.

i'll say it again. Tim Thomas. he is not signed yet, and a motivated tim thomas is a pretty wonderous thing in the playoffs. I know his thing is he wants to be the starter, and we are all family like behind fleury which is our big impediment there.

but if I'm ray shero for a day, I would buyout/trade fleury.
Launch Tanner Glass into outer space so he is unable to play hockey every again, trade niskanen for whatever I could get and I would bring in Timmy for 2M (which is probably what he would go for this season).

I'd end up with a guy who has posted the 2nd highest single season save % in the history of the league only a few years ago. and who by all accounts looks darn good in the panthers camp right now. Tim Thomas looks like Tim Thomas in May/June on this team we are going to the SCF...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Can we talk Dan Cloutier out of whatever he's doing now???

What's Roman Chechmanek up to now? :sarcasm:

I'll never forget that goal the Wings scored on Cloutier, I believe it was Lidstrom from the red line, a little shot that beat him and the Canucks who seemed to have control of the play and series made a huge 360

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
:cry:

i did. 3-4M that is more then what I thought I admit. still wish we could change his mind. mark my words barring injury he is going to be a damn good goalie this year.

Not so sure about that. Took last year completely off and doesn't really have the same defense/system that he did in Boston. I think he was better off signing with the Islanders

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Not so sure about that. Took last year completely off and doesn't really have the same defense/system that he did in Boston. I think he was better off signing with the Islanders

well by being good, I mean he will play well. Certainly he's not going to challenge the save % he put up in boston with that system. Just trying to say I think Timmy has something left in the tank for this season.
Could be wrong, but that's my two cents :)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have to agree about Zatkoff. If they don't even have enough confidence in him to give him a shot as a backup, and would rather go sign a scrub like Theodore, then why is he even in the organization? To steal time from Hartzell?

I'm sure there will be better options than Theodore on waivers shortly.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
What's Roman Chechmanek up to now? :sarcasm:

I'll never forget that goal the Wings scored on Cloutier, I believe it was Lidstrom from the red line, a little shot that beat him and the Canucks who seemed to have control of the play and series made a huge 360

Yep. It was in Game 3 in Vancouver. The Canucks had gone into Detroit and stolen games 1 & 2 as the lower seed. All we had to do was not lose 4 of the next 5. We lost 4 straight, and it all started with that one goal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
is there any reason at all to expect Zatkoff to become a good NHL goalie? I was under the impression that he is pretty much an AHL signing who has the same basic playoff problems as Fleury. I don't want him to be our backup.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Jose Threeormore is terrible.

It'll really suck if TT signs for cheap. No to Bryzgalov.

Has the Moose signed anywhere yet?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hedberg is just as bad of an option, save for the fact that people have weirdly selective memories of when he played for us and didn't suck for a few months.

Fire Shero*

I want to give him a shot, but I don't want to go into the playoffs with MAF as the starter and Zatkoff as the backup. I think there's a highly likely chance of that happening.

Unless we're willing to wait and try to trade Orpik, Niskanen, Glass and Adams for a goalie later.

The time to sign/acquire a goalie has long passed. The ship sailed after the first week in July.

But but but Cam Ward makes more than fleury. Shero is shrewd!

Theodore is washed up and should not play in the NHL. Sadly Shero has to likely do something because our franchise $5 million dollar a year goalie is terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad