Speculation: Pens Have Spoken to Several Free Agent Goalies (Théodore, Bryz, and the Like)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I still believe that we should've offered LA a similar deal for Bernier that Toronto did. What was it, Matt Frattin, 2nd and Scrivens?

Feel that offering Jussi Jokinen, 2nd and Zatkoff wouldn't be have been a bad offer.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
is there any reason at all to expect Zatkoff to become a good NHL goalie? I was under the impression that he is pretty much an AHL signing who has the same basic playoff problems as Fleury. I don't want him to be our backup.

i was going to say that i'd expect that the winner of the AHL's version of the William Jennings trophy could/should be expected to be at least a serviceable NHL back-up but the list of winners doesn't shed light one-way-or-another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_"Hap"_Holmes_Memorial_Award

kind of rad that WBS has won the award two out of three years (and three out of eight)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd at least want to take a look at Zatkoff before signing another goalie unless the goalie is a huge upgrade but I don't think Theodore qualifies as that right now. He seems serviceable at best these days.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm just curious, if Voukon announces his retirement, would you want to move forward with Fleury/Zatkoff and see whats available come trade deadline or pickup a goalie now?

Wut do?

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I don't like this idea and I don't like moving forward with Fleury and Zatkoff. Do we have any other options?

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Let's not forget that Zatkoff doesn't have the most glowing reputation for playoff play himself... it's perhaps even worse that Fleury's.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10457

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]SEASON    TEAM                             LEAGUE   GP   GAA    SV%
-------   ------------------------------   ------   --   ----   ----
2004-05   Sioux City Musketeers            USHL      2   8.88   .706
2008-09   Ontario Reign                    ECHL      7   3.73   .872
2010-11   Manchester Monarchs              AHL       5   3.80   .891
2011-12   Manchester Monarchs              AHL       2   4.34   .865
2012-13   Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins   AHL       5   5.45   .838[/FONT]

It's fairly unusual to see a goalie struggle in playoffs at every level then suddenly put it together in the NHL. Fleury's history isn't much better. Going back to his QMJHL days, he's only put up a .900 or better sv% in 3 out of 14 trips to the playoffs.

Nope, good effort from Zatkoff last year, but he falls just short of the .834 in 6g Fleury had established against the Flyers in 2012. He's still young and "improving" though, let's give him time.
FWIW, Nabokov had a .842 save % in 6 last year.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Who's next?..

wait for it...

wait for it...

Manon-Rheaume.jpg

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm just curious, if Voukon announces his retirement, would you want to move forward with Fleury/Zatkoff and see whats available come trade deadline or pickup a goalie now?

Wut do?
I think we should move forward with what we have, evaluate MAF and Zatkoff, and then make a move depending on the circumstances.

Maybe a decent option is waived, maybe we pick up a rental. You never know how things will shake out, who will miss the playoffs, or maybe MAF melts down and we make a big deal to replace him. Not to mention our current FA options are terrible.

For the sake of discussion, FA's this year

Lundqvist, Miller, Hillier, Brodeur, Halak, Dubnyk, Elliott, Emery, Giguere, Gustavsson, Biron, Clemmensen, and several less established guys.
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Inasmuch as this organization makes that mistake (and it does), I think the goaltending position is a completely different animal. This is a Stanley Cup contending team, you need an insurance policy in the event that your goaltender goes down (or craps the bed as Fleury is wont to do). That guy shouldn't be a rookie, unless you feel comfortable that said rookie could realistically backstop the team to a championship. Zatkoff will get his turn, but it shouldn't be as a shaky MAF's backup this season.

The thing is that we're looking to fill that void with one of the most mentally weak goalies of his generation in Theodore. Theodore makes Flower look like Professor Xavier in that regard.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
MAF is a regular season machine, no need to worry there. Zatkoff will be a solid back up. Worry about hte playoffs when we get there, and Theodore isn't a solution to that.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I hear that Reimer might be available. I think he is a legitimate upgrade to all available options.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
is there any reason at all to expect Zatkoff to become a good NHL goalie? I was under the impression that he is pretty much an AHL signing who has the same basic playoff problems as Fleury. I don't want him to be our backup.

Crazier things have happened with goalies. It's the position with the most guys coming out of nowhere and being decent players, so the idea of a guy that has had some very solid AHL seasons becoming an okay NHL'er isn't that farfetched. He also has some size and pedigree, so he's not another Thiessen or Brown.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I don't know why people are upset about sending Zatkoff down. If he doesn't have several outstanding postseasons, I don't ever want to see him with the big club.

Because the majority of posts are of the negative nature on this board. You would think this team hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. I certainly do not think that Shero/Bylsma do everything right, but I also don't think that everything they do is wrong. In addition, this board is obsessed with prospects.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know why people are upset about sending Zatkoff down. If he doesn't have several outstanding postseasons, I don't ever want to see him with the big club.

As someone else has already said, if they're not even trusting him now to serve as a backup, why is he in this organization? To steal playing time from the prospects?
I don't see why they need to make a hectic move for some random washed up veteran now. Just roll with Zatkoff and MAF until the deadline (I'm pretty confident we get there alive with them) and then see who's available. If Bernier has taken over the starting job, Reimer will come cheaper. Thomas probably could be had (and by then we'll have a better understanding of what he's got left). We'll also know more about Vokoun by then.
Getting someone like Theodore or even Hedberg now accomplishes absolutely nothing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Which prospects? Isn't Hartzell the only goalie besides Zatkoff eligible for the minors? If anything, be mad about having Peter Mannino on an AHL deal to take time from him.

I figure they signed Zatkoff to see if he could show anything as a potential long-term backup while Vokoun played out his deal. It was a pretty sensible move at the time considering how bare the goalie cupboard was last year.

Complaining about him stealing time from imaginary prospects for a year is ridiculous. If Hartzell's any good (maybe even if he's not), odds are Zatkoff is gone after this year (and even when he signed there was a really good chance that would happen) unless he turns out to be a legitimate NHL backup.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
As someone else has already said, if they're not even trusting him now to serve as a backup, why is he in this organization? To steal playing time from the prospects?
I don't see why they need to make a hectic move for some random washed up veteran now. Just roll with Zatkoff and MAF until the deadline (I'm pretty confident we get there alive with them) and then see who's available. If Bernier has taken over the starting job, Reimer will come cheaper. Thomas probably could be had (and by then we'll have a better understanding of what he's got left). We'll also know more about Vokoun by then.
Getting someone like Theodore or even Hedberg now accomplishes absolutely nothing.

This I agree with. The regular season I'm okay with, but the playoffs make me nervous. A proven breakdown and a rookie NHL goalie with a history of playoff issues is a worry.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm fine if this is a 1 year deal at 1M or around there. Of course Shero would need to deal Niskanen then, hope Glass aswell.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I imagine almost any vetern backup they can sign would immediately negate them getting under the cap by placing Vokoun on LTIR. I think they're just putting out feelers on a guy like Theodore. But by all means PANIC.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
And if any GM makes a deal with the Pens and does not come away with any one of either Harrington, Maata or Pouliot, then that GM should quit. For once Shero would be dealing from a position of weakness and any GM should recognize.

This really is a make or break year for MAF.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Which prospects? Isn't Hartzell the only goalie besides Zatkoff eligible for the minors? If anything, be mad about having Peter Mannino on an AHL deal to take time from him.

I figure they signed Zatkoff to see if he could show anything as a potential long-term backup while Vokoun played out his deal. It was a pretty sensible move at the time considering how bare the goalie cupboard was last year.

Complaining about him stealing time from imaginary prospects for a year is ridiculous. If Hartzell's any good (maybe even if he's not), odds are Zatkoff is gone after this year (and even when he signed there was a really good chance that would happen) unless he turns out to be a legitimate NHL backup.

To be honest, I thought Zatkoff had another year on his contract. I was wrong. Still, sending him down and have him there in front of Hartzell (and that is pretty likely as Zatkoff was one of the best netminders in the AHL last season) benefits nobody.
Except that we may get to watch Jose ****ing Theodore walking on his last legs. Or even Hedberg who showed last season that he is done. :shakehead

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

True.

The point is, neither Hartzell nor the Pens will benefit from Zatkoff splitting time with their only pro prospect. IMO, an organization's #3 goaltender needs to be either a prospect with potential or a vet/mentor type. Either way, they need to be able to fill in as a NHL backup. We didn't go that route and this is where we are now.

I don't see any complaining right now, but there will and should be if we sign a bum rather than give our #3 a chance.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
If Hartzell is better than Zatkoff, he'll get his time. WBS expects to make the playoffs and they're not going to bet their season on Hartzell coming in and being as good as the Zatkoff/Thiessen tandem was last year. If Hartzell isn't as a good as Zatkoff, then he doesn't deserve the playing time. It's basic. If the kid can't beat out a guy who's at the make or break point of establishing himself as an NHL backup or AHL lifer, he might not be that much of a prospect. Especially since he's already 24.

And even though Zatkoff isn't some old, grizzled vet, he's a very capable AHL goalie who can probably teach Hartzell a thing or two while the kid gets adjusted to pro hockey.

I don't see Hartzell sharing time with Zatkoff as a bad thing. It might even be better than throwing Hartzell to the AHL wolves. Remember, there's no one beneath Hartzell on the organization's pro depth chart. After him it's Peter Mannino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad