Post-Game Talk: Pens/Habs Game 3: Yikes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
While it's amusing that someone who spent, what, 6(?) years spamming every post-game thread with graffiti about how Beau Bennett was a budding Hall of Famer being stifled by unjust persecution from a variety of coaches would think he has any business insinuating anything any other person says is stupid, I'll, nonetheless, address this.

A 91% save percentage is, in fact, not good enough. In the regular season, at this stage in the NHL's evolution, that's the stuff of backups. In the playoffs, where there's less scoring and the netminder performances improve, it's the stuff of elimination. This is particularly true when this 91% save percentage is being posted against a team with poor offense and when some of the goals he does let in are, frankly, indefensible.

I think it's equally bad near average goaltending isn't enough to beat them.

But yeah, I agree in principle that we needed another save per game from him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's not above league average for the playoffs, and he's posting it against a team that isn't particularly known for scoring a lot. You mention the defense, but I don't really know what they're supposed to do to stop Petry from scoring from where he did.

Probably not stand around and let Petry line up the shot he wants to take for 10 seconds? If you give NHL players enough time, they can pick those corners. That's why it's typically not a good idea to let a guy have that much time and space to aim his shot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wonder how Sid is processing the fact that he has to play a game on his birthday? Seems like it wouldn't align with his superstitions.

One of four options.

He’s convinced it’s good luck.
He’s convinced it’s bad luck.
He’s going to spend the day looking for signs and draw a conclusion for the rest of his career from one game.
He already has a conclusion about birthdays or his birthday specifically and luck that he’ll apply.

I’d love to know how the superstitious wonder has adapted to the bubble in regard to his routines, tbh.

Reactions: dogthateats

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not above league average for the playoffs

Oh wow, a sample size of like 30 games.

and he's posting it against a team that isn't particularly known for scoring a lot.

Montreal was dead average when it came to goals/game in the NHL during the regular season.

You mention the defense, but I don't really know what they're supposed to do to stop Petry from scoring from where he did.

Idk, maybe play defense on him and tighten the gap instead of watching him for about 5 seconds completely uncovered.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh wow, a sample size of like 30 games.

Montreal was dead average when it came to goals/game in the NHL during the regular season.

Idk, maybe play defense on him and tighten the gap instead of watching him for about 5 seconds completely uncovered.
I just don't get why Murray is down with the top shelf exposed and then the time and space for Petry to see that bad positioning by the goalie and exploiting the defense that allowed him to have that opportunity.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Matt Murray's biggest issue is himself. He lost his confidence and swag. When he's confident he's a wall back there. I think it's most likely due to the concussions and some personal issues.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just don't get why Murray is down with the top shelf exposed and then the time and space for Petry to see that bad positioning by the goalie and exploiting the defense that allowed him to have that opportunity.

Oh yeah I agree the goal was terrible, that's not something you'll hear a debate from me on. But the defense played that absolutely horribly, Petry shouldn't have had that much time and space to pick a corner like that.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think it's equally bad near average goaltending isn't enough to beat them.

But yeah, I agree in principle that we needed another save per game from him.
When games matter, you need your goalie to rise to the level or exceed the level of the other guy across the ice in the other crease. I can't say ours has. At this point putting in Jarry is unfair to Jarry. He played like he should have started in scrimmage and warm up game and for most of this season and still had to sit. Now backs against the wall they think it'd be fair to f*** him into that spot? For me I'd want to see Murray show the f*** up, but I also don't want to see him play for the Pens ever again. But the excuses people make up for him like oh the defense destroyed him etc. Jarry had half the top 4 and top 6 hurt and put up Allstar stats. Oop.

Pens have out shot the Habs to ridiculously skewed amounts vs what the Habs have had and people keep whining about the defense.

The usual excuse when you see the other side getting less support and having a goalie that is doing his job.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh yeah I agree the goal was terrible, that's not something you'll hear a debate from me on. But the defense played that absolutely horribly, Petry shouldn't have had that much time and space to pick a corner like that.
Well I agree the time and space he had wasn't acceptable but also, at that angle unless you're a sniper (lmao Pixies incoming petry is a sniperrrr) that angle should not be one you score on. Defense letting him see the shot is whatever. To me it's like ok that angle our guy Murray should have this...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's so funny to me. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

People hate it when a D tries to block a shot and obstructs a goalies view.

People hate it when a D doesn't try to block a shot and apparently left the goalie hung out to dry.

Most want the goalie to see the shot to make the save they should be able to make and then clear away the rebound.

Most blame the D when a shot a goalie had clear view of and should save, was a goal that they should have blocked.

For me if a goalie has a clear view he should save it.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Cmon now. Habs cant win this. This is madness.

Rust - Crosby - Malkin
Guentzel - McCaan - Zucker
Tanev - Blueger - Hornqvist
Sheary - Marleau - ZAR

Geterdun! We need LAF!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Matt Murray's biggest issue is himself. He lost his confidence and swag. When he's confident he's a wall back there. I think it's most likely due to the concussions and some personal issues.
I don't think Murray's ever had swagger, but I agree his confidence is shot. Murray, when he first broke into the league, was completely unflappable. Dude could give up a 2013-era Fleury type goal, an absolute lowlight reel laugher, and go on to shut the other team out for the rest of the game. He never really wavered, whether he'd just given up a terrible goal or whether he was 55 minutes into a 40-save shutout.

Maybe he was just playing at an unreasonably high level, and maybe that just coincided with our two Cup runs, but he hasn't looked like that goalie for years now. Like you said, injuries and serious off-ice misfortune have probably done a number on the guy's ability to stay focused and engaged.

You always wonder if a younger guy with potential will end up being a stud somewhere else, after a change of scenery, but I think that's probably what you'll see with Murray. Dude's constantly dealing with the MAF cult everywhere, from social media to journalists, etc. He's got Jarry breathing down his neck and, as of most of this season, pretty much taking his job. I think trading Murray at the draft is probably the best situation for all parties involved.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
This team plays confidently with Jarry in the net. That is the first move we can make.
+1
This seems obvious to me. Murray sometimes seems fine but sometimes it just seems like the puck is going to end up behind him.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You always wonder if a younger guy with potential will end up being a stud somewhere else, after a change of scenery, but I think that's probably what you'll see with Murray. Dude's constantly dealing with the MAF cult everywhere, from social media to journalists, etc. He's got Jarry breathing down his neck and, as of most of this season, pretty much taking his job. I think trading Murray at the draft is probably the best situation for all parties involved.

I'm honestly curious if that's part of what's affecting his mental game. He's not dumb, he's likely aware of how the media/some segments of the fanbase see him. So it's like extra pressure because he knows if he struggles, all he hears is how Fleury would have been better.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Here's a quick video summary to answer your question . . .

giphy.gif
Nice to see the Pens staying afloat...

Reactions: KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm honestly curious if that's part of what's affecting his mental game. He's not dumb, he's likely aware of how the media/some segments of the fanbase see him. So it's like extra pressure because he knows if he struggles, all he hears is how Fleury would have been better.
I think it affects every athlete. How much it affects them varies. I can't imagine it was easy to deal with during the sudden passing of his father a few years ago. The Pittsburgh media and fandom are pretty obnoxious when it comes to developing these weird affinities to pro players. They latch on to guys like they're family, and in MAF's case, the city basically saw a guy drafted 1st overall during the Dark Ages and got to see a kid grow up from an 18 year old, thrown to the wolves, to a guy that ended up being the best goalie in franchise history--all the while being a fantastic human being off the ice, which is pretty rare in today's sports world. It's not hard to understand why so many people adore Fleury, but holy shit, do some people take it way too far. :laugh:

I can never remember if the lady holding up the "We Want Fleury" sign is legit or not, but that's easily believable based on the kind of stuff you see elsehwere (reddit, twitter, FB, etc).

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Cmon now. Habs cant win this. This is madness.

Rust - Crosby - Malkin
Guentzel - McCaan - Zucker
Tanev - Blueger - Hornqvist
Sheary - Marleau - ZAR

Geterdun! We need LAF!

We apparently need Lafreniere worse than you do...lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You guys apparently need some center depth. What the heck happened?
We let Bonino walk almost half a decade ago and have made a mad scramble to find his replacement ever since, which we still haven't successfully done. That crusade's also had the added effect of taking up most of our illustrious GM's attention, letting other areas of the roster suffer while his gaze is focused on the 3C role.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For the record, I genuinely think it's best for this team long-term to lose to the Habs, so I don't even really care what the rest of the series holds. We either lose to the Habs and get a shot at Lafreniere, or the 15th (I think?) overall pick, or we manage to make it past the qualifiers only to get absolutely embarrassed by the Flyers, Caps, or whoever else we'll have to play.

I get wanting to win the series to keep watching Penguins hockey, but man, this team seems way too flawed as is for me to really give a shit about this weird summer tourney masquerading as the Cup playoffs. Just take the high 1st, retool the many flaws this team has during the off-season, and come back stronger for one or two more runs at the Cup before one or more of the big three slow down dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad