Post-Game Talk: Pens/Habs Game 3: Yikes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He hasn't been terrible, but against a stifling defensive team with a goalie channeling his past MVP self, it's just not good enough.

He should not be allowing more than 2 a game against the plugs MTL has. And that's allowing for JJ/Schultz.

He starts tomorrow and lets in 3 in regulation, time to move on if he's asking for anything near 6.

You have completely ridiculous expectations for the starting goalie. Dear lord.

Makes me even more confident in my thought that Pens fans are clueless when it comes to goalies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I’m not super hard on Murray so far these playoffs but he’s allowed more than 1 goal he should want back.

Such as? The 4th last night was soft. The rest of the Montreal goals in this series have been bad defense.

He hasn't been terrible, but against a stifling defensive team with a goalie channeling his past MVP self, it's just not good enough.

He should not be allowing more than 2 a game against the plugs MTL has. And that's allowing for JJ/Schultz.

He starts tomorrow and lets in 3 in regulation, time to move on if he's asking for anything near 6.

Montreal a "stifling defensive team"? Nah. They've been bleeding quality opportunities in this series. I guess Murray is responsible for how our scorers finish, too.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Seatlle Kraken fans are crackin jokes on how pathetic the Pens performances have been these playoffs. And they haven't even won a game yet.

...if I was one of these fans I'd be kraken jokes as well

That could become their nickname...the "Kraken Jokes"

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You have completely ridiculous expectations for the starting goalie. Dear lord.

Makes me even more confident in my thought that Pens fans are clueless when it comes to goalies.

I would say it's far more fair to expect Murray to allow 2/game against a shit offensive team than our offense to score 4 and 5 goals against a very good defensive team and how Price is playing in games 1 and 3.

Again, I don't think he's been horrible. But if he doesn't have a good game 4, I'm fine with moving on from him.

Obviously your mileage varies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray shouldn't be allowing more than 2 goals a game against a team that averaged basically 3 goals a game over the season! It doesn't matter how his team is playing in front of him, a goalie is always completely responsible for any goal against and the quality of chance is irrelevant! If Murray gives up 3 goals again, regardless of how many shots or high danger chances he faces or how the team looks in front of him, they should send him to the curb!

I would say it's far more fair to expect Murray to allow 2/game against a shit offensive team than our offense to score 4 and 5 goals against a very good defensive team and how Price is playing in games 1 and 3.

Again, I don't think he's been horrible. But if he doesn't have a good game 4, I'm fine with moving on from him.

Obviously your mileage varies.

The Habs are not a shit offensive team and judging goalies based solely on goals against, without even taking the minimal amount of effort to evaluate how the team is doing, is just downright lazy.

Reactions: Peat

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
All you need to know about the Murray hate is that people called it a soft goal when Suzuki scored on a 2 on 1 with a wrist shot from his off wing from 20 feet away that went bar down.

These people apparently believe other goalies are 6 feet wide and 4 feet tall.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Man, what a bummer last night was but as i believe we are in the process of turning the corner to Sid and G's real final pushes.
These aren't it.
Mistakes will be corrected. The team will be better.
With or without JR and Sully.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Don't really care what Murray does anymore.
It's quite clear who they should go with in the future.
To me it is anyway.
Cheaper and just as good, no worrying about a glove hand, plays the puck very well ='s Jarry.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wasn't that after a long and sustained streak of being really good?

Pretty good, yeah - came after two shutouts - but surely consistency then says that if a good locked-in goalie can give up three goals with an .880 save percentage against the Habs, it's maybe not a surprise if at some point during the play-in series they manage to put a bunch past a goaltender anyway?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Okay. Positives?

One game from tying up the series, and Price hasn't been the be all people are making him out to be. He has let in one less goal, and that one save Murray let in is the difference from being up 2-1 than down 2-1, and of course a lot more to go with that. But positives are that we have another capable goalie to fallback on. Montreal just might be Murray's kryptonite. Maybe Philly too, and the Canes, any fast teams with energy to spare.

Hey, maybe it's time to play some defense and themselves playing the trap?

Look watcha done...Trap it up...I'll take it. Trap it up and we'll make it. Trap! Trap! Trap it up....

LGP!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pretty good, yeah - came after two shutouts - but surely consistency then says that if a good locked-in goalie can give up three goals with an .880 save percentage against the Habs, it's maybe not a surprise if at some point during the play-in series they manage to put a bunch past a goaltender anyway?
That's a one off. And if I'm correct we were due for a sub par performance. That's not the case here.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Such as? The 4th last night was soft. The rest of the Montreal goals in this series have been bad defense.

on their first 3 goals their man was unchecked below the faceoff dots right in front of the goalie. shultz got to his man as the puck was being passed and , as we saw, did nothing to prevent the goal.

even when they hit the post off a leg deflection, their player was positioned in front of the goalie with again no defender within 5 feet of him.

that's just terrible defensive play

on the game winner 4 pens were closer to the 2 Canadian point men then they were to the goal scorer.
it doesn't matter who is in net if they keep playing defense like that

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cocky and arrogant are good traits in a goalie. Most of the great all time goalies were cocky and arrogant. Brodeur, Roy, Lundqvist...etc. Those guys never believed a goal was their fault. And they were really good and they knew it.

I like that Murray has that mentality. The problem right now is that cockiness and arrogance with Murray used to be earned and right now it makes him look pretty bad when he's playing as badly as he is.
It's not a good quality if it's not used correctly. In that instance for my example, it was excuses and not being accountable.

See: Geno's presser today about needing to be better. That's what a leader says. Not bitch and whine about how the goals on him were a fluke etc. Or you know, get agents to make up lies or unfollow the team on social media and weird shit like that.

People mock MAF a ton but Murray pales in comparison as an ambassador and leader. I'm not going to wank off to Murray just because he won cups 3-4yrs ago.

This league is a what can you do for me now league not what did you do 4yrs ago when you were bordering on elite and haven't sniffed it since.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Management would not say it, but they would be thrilled with that result. Someone needs to sell tickets when Crosby and Malkin hang them up.

Lafreniere would be the Jagr to Mario. Hopefully without the dying alive part.
Management likely knows this weird year is whatever at this point.

If you can get a marketable star that will take over as the face when the big two are ready to call it quits in 3-4yrs, would you sacrifice a pandemic shortened season and see a bigger picture instead?

I want to win as much as the next highly competitive person. But this year is different. I'm on the fence about the losing and hoping for Laf.

Big part of me wants Laf just to piss off our haters even more.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Not sure if the Pens will keep this staff but I would love to see Bruce on that bench next year. One of the few coaches in the league that understands offense and will get this team away from chip chase put everything on net.

Reactions: ownal

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Not sure if the Pens will keep this staff but I would love to see Bruce on that bench next year. One of the few coaches in the league that understands offense and will get this team away from chip chase put everything on net.

Bruce or Gallant. This current coaching staff needs fired.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad