Post-Game Talk: Pens/Habs Game 3: Yikes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the 2nd line has been fine, to be honest. Geno's just snakebit like crazy, but they're creating chances. Zucker's been good. Rust is struggling, but he's always been streaky and his performance has always been pretty tied to Geno's.

We just have zero depth. No third line. A blueline that's either struggling with what they're supposed to do (Dumo; defensive play. Letang; offensive play) or flat-out playing horrendous, detrimental hockey whenever they're on the ice (JJ and Schultz).

We've also had a couple bad goals allowed by Murray. I'm not one of the guys who thinks he's a huge problem, but I do think Jarry was the right choice from the start. Even if they're essentially equals in terms of performance (I think Jarry's a better goalie right now, personally), Jarry can play the puck whereas Murray simply cannot.

Reactions: Doogle

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think the 2nd line has been fine, to be honest. Geno's just snakebit like crazy, but they're creating chances. Zucker's been good. Rust is struggling, but he's always been streaky and his performance has always been pretty tied to Geno's.

We just have zero depth. No third line. A blueline that's either struggling with what they're supposed to do (Dumo; defensive play. Letang; offensive play) or flat-out playing horrendous, detrimental hockey whenever they're on the ice (JJ and Schultz).

We've also had a couple bad goals allowed by Murray. I'm not one of the guys who thinks he's a huge problem, but I do think Jarry was the right choice from the start. Even if they're essentially equals in terms of performance (I think Jarry's a better goalie right now, personally), Jarry can play the puck whereas Murray simply cannot.

Matt Flurray gets the puck and immediately looks to play it on the boards. He'll never give the D any assistance other than that. Jarry on the other hand.... among other things... can initiate a breakout.
It wouldn't even be a stretch saying he's better than JJ at it.

Sad times these.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Those who say Geno should be traded because of this serie should be permanently banned from this board in no time.
Despite playing with 2 ghosts in his line, he's been overall our most dangerous player of the serie (see the number of chances and shots he created), was good in FOs FOR ONCE and showed decent effort in backchecking and yet, people want him to be traded?
His only problem (but not a small one of course for a player of his caliber) was putting the puck on the net but again, you have to give big credits to Price who bar a few bad moments in last game has putted into an Hasek serie so far.

Price has had his # too...the numbers are pretty bad...just a goalie who reads or anticipates his shot pretty well...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Geno's just not doing himself any favors with regard to getting on the board either. You can tell he's extremely frustrated. Look at the Gallagher thing last night. A level-headed, focused guy doesn't do that. :laugh:

If we go down early in game 4, I fully expect an implosion of frustration from this team. Geno hacking away at people with his stick. Letang losing his goddamn mind and assuming the rabid animal thing he loves to do.

Reactions: DisIsMyLife

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder what would have happened if...

Zucker-Crosby-Hornqvist/Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Rodrigues-McCann-Hornqvist/Sheary
Z-B-T

Were the lines. Of course the coach needing to manage minutes and the right defense pairings would also need to be important.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I think the real problem with the 2nd line right now is timing. I assumed Zucker is like Rust 2.0, Rust kills it with Malkin, ergo they'll kill it together. But, when you watch them work, you can see glimpses of chemistry with Malkin and Zucker. You know Malkin and Rust have chemistry. BUT, Zucker and Rust are so similar that there's something missing from the trio, like the two fast guys have pushed all the way up the ice and the gap is too much for Malkin to make up and too easy to defend because there's no support in transition. Not sure even how to describe it . . .

The other day, someone said 'you need a little east-west with all the north-south there like you had with Jake'. Someone replied 'well, you have two north-south guys with Hags and Horny two years ago', which was true, but Horny doesn't skate fast, so the spacing in transition still worked a lot better.

I don't know . . . I'm surprised by it, but I take the proverbial 30000 feet look at this line, and the three of them just don't fit-- AS A TRIO-- in the neutral zone, and that makes them easy to defend.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what would have happened if...

Zucker-Crosby-Hornqvist/Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Rodrigues-McCann-Hornqvist/Sheary
Z-B-T

Were the lines. Of course the coach needing to manage minutes and the right defense pairings would also need to be important.

That's so hypothetical, Jake not with Sid, that I'm not even going to speculate.

One thing I do wonder . . . would you be better off on the blueline with Pets-Letang and Dumo-Marino and just riding the **** out of them.

Pets-Marino, as a duo, is just way too soft out there. Marino isn't a physical or big guy to begin with, and Pets is soft as charmin. And, for whatever reason Dumo just is so far off his game right now . . .

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Well boys.. It could have been worse. We could be in Kansas City right now.

Then again if we moved there then I better move myself there to get acquainted with the local woman.

Reactions: EightyOne

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I also think having anyone who could produce--Hell, simply even pressure--offensively from the blueline would be a godsend. Letang's been alright enough in terms of his all-around game, but I can't recall a single situation where he's been a threat to score in this series. That can't happen, not with the current structure of this team, particularly on the blueline.

I said it in the draft thread but I genuinely believe that, realistically, the best possible outcome of this series is for us to lose. We get a shot at a legit franchise guy right as Sid and Geno are likely entering the slowdown of their career. Even if we don't win the lottery, we can use the 15th (?) pick along with Murray to either move up and get a top flight stud prospect, or make a trade to land someone significant enough to come in and fill one of the multiple glaring holes we have throughout the lineup right now. Realistically, that's the best thing for this team, because even if we win two in a row against the Habs, we're just diving head-first into a woodchipper against whoever we play in the 1st round. We're going to get massacred.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I also think having anyone who could produce--Hell, simply even pressure--offensively from the blueline would be a godsend. Letang's been alright enough in terms of his all-around game, but I can't recall a single situation where he's been a threat to score in this series. That can't happen, not with the current structure of this team, particularly on the blueline.

I said it in the draft thread but I genuinely believe that, realistically, the best possible outcome of this series is for us to lose. We get a shot at a legit franchise guy right as Sid and Geno are likely entering the slowdown of their career. Even if we don't win the lottery, we can use the 15th (?) pick along with Murray to either move up and get a top flight stud prospect, or make a trade to land someone significant enough to come in and fill one of the multiple glaring holes we have throughout the lineup right now. Realistically, that's the best thing for this team, because even if we win two in a row against the Habs, we're just diving head-first into a woodchipper against whoever we play in the 1st round. We're going to get massacred.

Wish I could like your post. So like. They took my likes away for getting into it with a Flyers fan.

I agree go get Laf.. Or trade the pick and unload our cap dumps JJ

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I wonder how Sid is processing the fact that he has to play a game on his birthday? Seems like it wouldn't align with his superstitions.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bump Rik-Ruh into the lineup and ride the top 4.

Double shift Sid and G with combos until something clicks.

Start Jarry.

If that isn't enough, we're more deserving of a shot at 1st overall than I realized.

I'm in favor of Pets-Letang and Dumo-Marino. Pets is too soft to combo with Marino, and Dumo is a mess right now with Letang (not because of Letang, mind you, just a mess).

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yes, the biggest problem is clearly the goalie stopping over 91% of shots he has faced, not the defenseman who makes the team several times more likely to give up a goal with his being on the ice.:facepalm:

While it's amusing that someone who spent, what, 6(?) years spamming every post-game thread with graffiti about how Beau Bennett was a budding Hall of Famer being stifled by unjust persecution from a variety of coaches would think he has any business insinuating anything any other person says is stupid, I'll, nonetheless, address this.

A 91% save percentage is, in fact, not good enough. In the regular season, at this stage in the NHL's evolution, that's the stuff of backups. In the playoffs, where there's less scoring and the netminder performances improve, it's the stuff of elimination. This is particularly true when this 91% save percentage is being posted against a team with poor offense and when some of the goals he does let in are, frankly, indefensible.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm in favor of Pets-Letang and Dumo-Marino. Pets is too soft to combo with Marino, and Dumo is a mess right now with Letang (not because of Letang, mind you, just a mess).

Yeah I'd have Dumo-Marino start a lot in the D zone and pray they hold on.

Tell Letang to create some freaking offense and play 30 minutes behind Sid and Geno.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
1. Murray has a .915 save% in this series (which is above the league average for this year) with a terrible defense in front of him (Penguins are in the bottom 25% of the league in terms of xGA/60 in the playoffs)
2. Price is paid $10.5 million and Murray is paid $3.75 million. Expecting Murray to equal price when he's neither as good as Price or paid as much as Price is absolutely unreasonable.

It's not above league average for the playoffs, and he's posting it against a team that isn't particularly known for scoring a lot. You mention the defense, but I don't really know what they're supposed to do to stop Petry from scoring from where he did.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's so hypothetical, Jake not with Sid, that I'm not even going to speculate.

One thing I do wonder . . . would you be better off on the blueline with Pets-Letang and Dumo-Marino and just riding the **** out of them.

Pets-Marino, as a duo, is just way too soft out there. Marino isn't a physical or big guy to begin with, and Pets is soft as charmin. And, for whatever reason Dumo just is so far off his game right now . . .
You know.

I constantly said the pairing of Petts-Marino wasn't going to work and the usual Pettersson Homer here whined incessantly that it was fine (not you). So I don't even know if I want to say what would be interesting options anymore.

Here's what we know...

JJ is palatable with Marino.
Pettersson and Schultz make us want to barf.
Dumoulin and Letang aren't finding their groove right now but it's tried tested and true.
Riikola should get minutes.
Ruhwedel at this point might be better in a 3rd pair role than Schultz as his minutes would be used in a 3rd pair role.

With that...not sure what you could conclude would be the right choices.

I've just never been impressed with Pettersson so I'll never be in favor of where to put him. But I'd probably try...

Pettersson, Letang
Dumoulin, Marino
Riikola, Ruhwedel

Marino thinks the game at a high level and it shows in his game and I think Dumoulin fits his mental game as a partner.

Reactions: KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I'm just not sold on Pettersson as a regular top four guy. Fantastic on the bottom pairing, but I don't think he's consistent enough to be a top four defender.

To me, we have 3 guys who are legitimate top four caliber, a #5 (Pettersson) and then two guys who suck so bad you don't want them in your lineup. Schultz should be more than that, but his offensive game has completely disappeared and he's always been weak defensively. Without the offensive game to balance things out, he's a liability more often than not.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I'm just not sold on Pettersson as a regular top four guy. Fantastic on the bottom pairing, but I don't think he's consistent enough to be a top four defender.

To me, we have 3 guys who are legitimate top four caliber, a #5 (Pettersson) and then two guys who suck so bad you don't want them in your lineup. Schultz should be more than that, but his offensive game has completely disappeared and he's always been weak defensively. Without the offensive game to balance things out, he's a liability more often than not.

I'm actually closer to your side in this debate.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Agreed. We have a top pairing, a stud 2nd pairing guy in Marino, a #5 in Petts and f***-all after that. :laugh: And our top pairing isn't playing anywhere near their potential, especially with regard to what each is supposed to bring to the table. Dumo's made some uncharacteristic mistakes defensively, and Letang's been a ghost in terms of production or transition.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad