Post-Game Talk: Pens/Habs Game 3: Yikes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I'm honestly curious if that's part of what's affecting his mental game. He's not dumb, he's likely aware of how the media/some segments of the fanbase see him. So it's like extra pressure because he knows if he struggles, all he hears is how Fleury would have been better.
These guys usually have superior psyches, and can tune that out. Like quarterbacks, as the backup is often the most popular player on teams that aren't winning championships.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Seatlle Kraken fans are crackin jokes on how pathetic the Pens performances have been these playoffs. And they haven't even won a game yet.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
the guy had all day to wait for murray to act first. there was no defender around him for maybe 5 seconds.

maybe ask how does that tend to happen in our defensive zone several times a game
That in and of itself doesn't excuse that bad angle goal. MM played that horribly. If you can't stop a shot like that you shouldn't be playing.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think it's fair to put ZAR and JJ in the same breath, man. :laugh: ZAR is boring, and there's not a whole lot of upside there, but he's not an absolute tank shell to the face of whatever line he's playing with or whatever partner he's paired with. JJ is an absolute, unadulterated trainwreck. That cannot be overstated. He's just as bad as Scuderi ever was, maybe worse.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This team is an embarrassment. If they lose to the 24rh seed, this should go down as the most humilating story in the teams History.

To continue to play JJ as they do defies all levels of reasoning and common sense.

Reactions: ncm7772

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Probably not stand around and let Petry line up the shot he wants to take for 10 seconds? If you give NHL players enough time, they can pick those corners. That's why it's typically not a good idea to let a guy have that much time and space to aim his shot.

You want to give them that shot every time. If you can force 25 shots from the goal line you’ve given yourself a great chance to win.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'll be curious to see Sully's line up decisions for tomorrows game. He'll probably put ZAR up with Sid and give JJ 22 minutes of ice time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's a quick video summary to answer your question . . .

giphy.gif
That dumpster is more sturdy than this team.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Murray's ever had swagger, but I agree his confidence is shot. Murray, when he first broke into the league, was completely unflappable. Dude could give up a 2013-era Fleury type goal, an absolute lowlight reel laugher, and go on to shut the other team out for the rest of the game. He never really wavered, whether he'd just given up a terrible goal or whether he was 55 minutes into a 40-save shutout.

Maybe he was just playing at an unreasonably high level, and maybe that just coincided with our two Cup runs, but he hasn't looked like that goalie for years now. Like you said, injuries and serious off-ice misfortune have probably done a number on the guy's ability to stay focused and engaged.

You always wonder if a younger guy with potential will end up being a stud somewhere else, after a change of scenery, but I think that's probably what you'll see with Murray. Dude's constantly dealing with the MAF cult everywhere, from social media to journalists, etc. He's got Jarry breathing down his neck and, as of most of this season, pretty much taking his job. I think trading Murray at the draft is probably the best situation for all parties involved.
I think the opposite. I think Murray is too cocky and arrogant. I look at the canucks game as an example. Instead of saying hey I got beat and need to be better.

He whined it was lucky and a fluke and etc. He got owned hard and couldn't accept it or he accountable for it. That's what arrogance and cockiness does.

Maybe I like Jarry more because he was held accountable and worked his ass off to get opportunities and hold on to them and was awarded as an Allstar goalie.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mate it's obviously their fault they keep playing a lot of minutes they don't deserve. If only someone could limit then.

Sigh.

Ah well.

Like I don't get how people can still not criticize Sullivan for some of his lineup decisions and/or ice time allocation. One can argue the Pens are losing this series instead of being up 3-0 *because* Sullivan insists on using inferior players, in prominent roles.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the opposite. I think Murray is too cocky and arrogant. I look at the canucks game as an example. Instead of saying hey I got beat and need to be better.

He whined it was lucky and a fluke and etc. He got owned hard and couldn't accept it or he accountable for it. That's what arrogance and cockiness does.

Maybe I like Jarry more because he was held accountable and worked his ass off to get opportunities and hold on to them and was awarded as an Allstar goalie.

Cocky and arrogant are good traits in a goalie. Most of the great all time goalies were cocky and arrogant. Brodeur, Roy, Lundqvist...etc. Those guys never believed a goal was their fault. And they were really good and they knew it.

I like that Murray has that mentality. The problem right now is that cockiness and arrogance with Murray used to be earned and right now it makes him look pretty bad when he's playing as badly as he is.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe Sully sees the big picture and knows we need to tank for Lafreniere to have a chance to win more cups :sarcasm:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Like I don't get how people can still not criticize Sullivan for some of his lineup decisions and/or ice time allocation. One can argue the Pens are losing this series instead of being up 3-0 *because* Sullivan insists on using inferior players, in prominent roles.
I definitely think Sully's decisions have been awful, namely giving JJ a permanent roster spot. But I don't think this team is built well enough to be up 3-0 against anyone in the playoffs or qualifiers.

Lots of blame to go around, but I think the biggest culprit is JR and his roster. That's not to say Sully isn't playing a part. Or that Geno being unable to find the back of the net isn't playing a part. Or JJ/Schultz. Or Dumo's struggles defensively. Or Letang being a ghost offensively. Etc.

But I do think JR is most responsible for last season's embarrassing loss and this season's (potential) embarrassing loss.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
While it's amusing that someone who spent, what, 6(?) years spamming every post-game thread with graffiti about how Beau Bennett was a budding Hall of Famer being stifled by unjust persecution from a variety of coaches would think he has any business insinuating anything any other person says is stupid, I'll, nonetheless, address this.

A 91% save percentage is, in fact, not good enough. In the regular season, at this stage in the NHL's evolution, that's the stuff of backups. In the playoffs, where there's less scoring and the netminder performances improve, it's the stuff of elimination. This is particularly true when this 91% save percentage is being posted against a team with poor offense and when some of the goals he does let in are, frankly, indefensible.

Your insults are lame and your points are even less impressive.

And I don't even have to go post fishing like an obsessive nerd to prove it, either.

I don't know what Beau Bennett has to do with this and it says a lot that you went directly for the personal insult.

The numbers are pretty clear. Jack Johnson is clearly the biggest problem with the team and not a goalie who has allowed 1 softie in 3 games. You are simply wrong.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Maybe the Habs start playing a bit tighter and the Pens a bit looser now the expectations have shifted.

Really hope Sullivan gives the lineup a makeover and provides the core a legit chance to play their best game. This may be their last best chance at a run.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Your insults are lame and your points are even less impressive.

And I don't even have to go post fishing like an obsessive nerd to prove it, either.

I don't know what Beau Bennett has to do with this and it says a lot that you went directly for the personal insult.

The numbers are pretty clear. Jack Johnson is clearly the biggest problem with the team and not a goalie who has allowed 1 softie in 3 games. You are simply wrong.

I’m not super hard on Murray so far these playoffs but he’s allowed more than 1 goal he should want back.

Reactions: Shady Machine

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’m not super hard on Murray so far these playoffs but he’s allowed more than 1 goal he should want back.

He hasn't been terrible, but against a stifling defensive team with a goalie channeling his past MVP self, it's just not good enough.

He should not be allowing more than 2 a game against the plugs MTL has. And that's allowing for JJ/Schultz.

He starts tomorrow and lets in 3 in regulation, time to move on if he's asking for anything near 6.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe Sully sees the big picture and knows we need to tank for Lafreniere to have a chance to win more cups :sarcasm:

Management would not say it, but they would be thrilled with that result. Someone needs to sell tickets when Crosby and Malkin hang them up.

Lafreniere would be the Jagr to Mario. Hopefully without the dying alive part.

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad